Prudhoe is a town with a population of 11500. Coal mining used to be a major industry in the area, but now many residents commute to Tyne and Wear.
Prudhoe is 11 miles west of Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Prudhoe Castle, Castle View, NE42 6NA, ☎ +44 1661 833459. Apr - Oct Wed - Sun 10:00 - 18:00 (16:00 in Oct). Substantial ruined castle dating from the eleventh century. adults £4.60, children £2.80, concessions £4.10.
- East to Newcastle upon Tyne, Gateshead, Jarrow and South Shields.
- Southeast to Washington and Sunderland
- South to Durham
- West to Corbridge, Hexham, Haltwhistle and Hadrian's Wall
- North to Cramlington, Whitley Bay, Morpeth and Alnwick