Prachinburi (ปราจีนบุร) is a sleepy town, usually used as the southern gateway to Khao Yai National Park.


About 135 kilometres northeast of Bangkok, Prachinburi, a province next to the border, covers a total area of approximately 4,762 square kilometres. It was a particularly prosperous town from the Dvaravati to the Lop Buri period, dating back 800 years.

Get in

By car

From Bangkok:

By bus

The Transport Company Limited provides buses from Bangkok's Northeastern Bus Terminal on Kamphaeng Phet Rd (Mo Chit 2) to Prachinburi many times daily, taking about 2 hours to get to the province. For further information, contact the Transport Company Limited, Tel. 0 2936 2852-66, 0 2936 3670, 0 2936 2816 (reservation). The Prachin Buri Provincial Bus Terminal, Tel. 0 3721 1292

Buses travel via these two main routes:

By train

Trains between Bangkok and Prachinburi are available 4 times daily: 05:55 (arrives 08:55), 08:00 (arrives 10:41), 09:40, and 15:25. For further details, contact a travel agent or the Thai State Railway.


Amphoe Mueang (อำเภอเมือง)

King Naresuan the Great Shrine (ศาลสมเด็จพระนเรศวรมหาราช) The shrine houses a standing statue of King Naresuan the Great to commemorate his camping at Prachin Buri on the way from Ayutthaya to Cambodia in 1589. People in Prachin Buri and nearby provinces normally come to pay respect.

Phrakhru Uthai Thammathari (Seng Sukhito) Museum (พิพิธภัณฑ์พระครูอุทัยธรรมธารี (เส็ง สุขิโต) This museum houses prehistoric archaeological finds, various artefacts and art objects from neighbouring countries, as well as, reproduction of antiquities. There are about 900 pieces of these archaeological objects such as bronze bangles, pottery, ceramics, Buddha images in various positions, Thai coins, ancient coins from the neighbouring countries, spur disc supports, etc.

2nd Infantry Division, Queen's Guard (กองพลทหารราบที่ 2 รักษาพระองค์ฯ) This Queen's Guard Unit offers many activities such as golfing, horse riding, and shooting.

Yusuksuwan Museum (พิพิธภัณฑ์อยู่สุขสุวรรณ์) This museum houses everyday objects from the past. Many collector's items feature various pressure lanterns, coins, bank-notes, different types of cabinets like teak cabinets, dressing tables, and fans using kerosene. Another interesting item is the 70-year-old lottery (Thailand's first issue).

Wat Kaeo Phichit (วัดแก้วพิจิตร) Being the very first Dhammayutika Buddhist temple in Prachin Buri, it was built in 1879 by a Prachin Buri millionaire who was a wife of Khun Pramunphakdi. In 1918, Chaophya Abhaibhubejhr (Chum Aphaiwong) constructed a new ordination hall (Phra Ubosot) to replace the old dilapidated one. The unique characteristic of this hall is the combination between the Thai, Chinese, European, and Cambodian art.

Prachin Buri Cultural Centre (ศูนย์วัฒนธรรมจังหวัดปราจีนบุรี) This centre was built by Phra Prichakonlakan (Sam-ang Amattayakun) in the reign of King Rama V. Its architecture is a mixture of the Thai and western style. After having undergone renovation and been registered as an ancient monument by the Department of Fine Arts, it is currently the Prachin Buri Cultural and Red Cross Offices.

Prachin Buri National Museum (พิพิธภัณฑสถานแห่งชาติ ปราจีนบุรี) This archaeological museum displays artefacts discovered within the eastern region and neighbouring provinces like Prachin Buri, Sa Kaeo, Nakhon Nayok, Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Chanthaburi, Trat, and Rayong. The museum mostly displays important artefacts discovered from the ancient city of Mueang Si Mahosot.

Chaophya Abhaibhubejhr Building (ตึกเจ้าพระยาอภัยภูเบศร) It was constructed by the personal budget of Chaophya Abhaibhubejhr in 1909 as a residence for King Rama V on his next royal visit to Prachin Buri. He died in 1910. King Rama VI and his family stayed here instead during his royal visit in 1912. It can be seen that the owner never did stay in this building at all. The building used to serve as the administrative office of the hospital. Chaophya Abhaibhubejhr Hospital, a pilot hospital on Thai medicine, won the 4th Thailand Tourism Award (2003) in the category of tourism promotion and development project.

Wat Sa-nga Ngam (วัดสง่างาม) Wat Sa-nga Ngam was granted consecrated boundaries on 10 April 1917, and the Ubosot, where devoted Buddhists duck under and pass through it for good luck and pray to recover from their illnesses, was officially constructed on 12 March 1971.The whole Ubosot was lifted and underwent major renovation on 15 February 2002. This was when the ducking ritual and gilding the statue of Luangpu Phio, a former abbot (Phrakhru Silawisutthachan), began.

Wat Bot (วัดโบสถ์) Located in Tambon Wat Bot, the temple is on the west of town. It was built in 1278 on the bank of the Prachin Buri or Bang Pakong River and covers an area of 45 rai. There are 3 Buddha images along the bank; namely, Phra Siri Mongkhon Nimit (the walking Buddha), Phra Sapphasitthi Nawa (the Buddha sitting in the European style), and Phra Maha Chinasaiyat (the reclining Buddha). The temple is peaceful and shady.

Bamboo Garden (สวนพันธุ์ไผ่) Supervised by the Department of Corrections, the garden is located in Tambon Noen Hom with an area of about 300 rai. It has a wide collection of bamboo species for research and breeding. One area is allocated as a training centre – cut bamboo, growing vegetables, building furniture - for good behaviour inmates.

Namtok Heo Narok (น้ำตกเหวนรก) Located on the Prachin Buri - Khao Yai route, Namtok Heo Narok is part of Khao Yai National Park, which covers the area of Prachin Buri, Nakhon Nayok, Nakhon Ratchasima, and Saraburi provinces. It is a gigantic and beautiful waterfall 60 metres in height and a steep cliff. The water, running to the valley down below, is very vigorous during the rainy months.

Chakkraphong Dam (อ่างเก็บน้ำจักรพงษ์) The reservoir is an earth dam of 16.50 metres high and 740 metres long. From the entrance to the dam on the left, there is an 11-kilometre road up to the top of the mountain for viewing the scenic atmosphere. At km. 7-8, there is a 150-metre long wonder hill. It is believed that if you stop your car and leave it in neutral gear, the car seems to run up hill because of illusions affected by the surroundings.

Namtok Khao Ito (น้ำตกเขาอีโต้) This not-so-high waterfall in Tambon Ban Phra is a popular tourist attraction, which runs through rocks at different levels. Surroundings are full of timber forests. There is plenty of water only in the rainy season.

Amphoe Ban Sang (อำเภอบ้านสร้าง)

Bats at Wat Bang Krabao (ค้างคาวแม่ไก่วัดบางกระเบา) The highlight of this temple is the spectacular sight of thousands of bats living on the trees.

Amphoe Si Mahosot (อำเภอศรีมโหสถ)

Ton Pho Si Maha Pho (The Great Bodhi Tree) (ต้นโพธิ์ศรีมหาโพธิ) The country's oldest and largest bodhi tree, it was recorded that 2000 years ago, the seedling stock of this bodhi tree was brought from Buddhgaya, India. The tree is about 20 metres in circumference, 30 metres in height, and 25 metres in diameter. Legend has it that Phrachao Thawanampayadit, the ruler of Mueang Si Mahosot during the Khmer empire sent his representatives to Nakhon Patuliputra in India for a branch of the Pho tree, under which the Lord Buddha had sat during his enlightenment. This Pho tree has been the symbol of Prachin Buri.

Luangpho Thawarawadi(หลวงพ่อทวารวดี) Currently situated in the Wihan in front of the Si Mahosot District office, this 1.63-metre greenish sandstone Buddha image in a standing posture and giving the sermon, believed to be from the 7th -9th Century or Dvaravati Period, was discovered at the leprosy settlement, Camilo Hospital, to the south of Mueang Si Mahosot.

Sa Morakot Archaeological Site (กลุ่มโบราณสถาน สระมรกต) This gigantic complex of Buddhist ancient monuments, lying on top of one another since the 9th – 13th Century, comprises laterite and brick architectures – with only the bases left. The most fascinating attraction is Thailand's largest and oldest Lord Buddha's Footprints (รอยพระพุทธบาทคู่) - - like a human's - - carved on the natural laterite floor. More attractions are holy well (บ่อน้ำศักดิ์สิทธิ์) and a rectangular pond called Sa Morakot (สระมรกต).

Si Mahosot Ancient Town (โบราณสถานเมืองศรีมโหสถ) This oval or rectangular shape with round edge ancient town dates back to the Dvaravati period, covering an area of about 700 rai. Remains of the moat, mound, and more than 100 interesting ancient monuments such as various architecture, knolls, ponds, and wells are found scattered in the area. Most of the archaeological finds are related to Hinduism such as shrines, graven images, and Shiva Linga. The most important venue is the complex in the centre of town (กลุ่มโบราณสถานกลางเมือง).

Amphoe Si Maha Phot (อำเภอศรีมหาโพธิ)

Royal Handwriting Monument (อนุสาวรีย์ลายพระหัตถ์) This inscription of the royal initials was made during the visit of King Rama V to Prachin Buri in 1908. The inscription was made on a laterite artefact from the Lop Buri Period, dating back to the 7th - 8th Century.

Lum Mueang (หลุมเมือง) This is a place with about 48 holes or "Lum" of different sizes dug deep on laterite ground. The date of the digging is unknown. During his royal visit on 18 December 1908, King Rama V assumed that the holes were mortars for mixing cement for architectural decoration. But some elderly believed that these holes were meant for a local game known as "Lum Mueang".

Phan Hin Ancient Monument (โบราณสถานพานหิน) This large square Phan Hin ancient monument is made solely of laterite. It is 15.50 metres wide on each side, and 3.5 metres high, with 4 porches. It is assumed that the building was a shrine for the Hindu God, Vishnu, built during the 7th - 9th Century in the reign of King Jayavarman I of Chenla. The shape of a sculptural pedestal found in the centre of the ancient remains is similar to a tray or "Phan" in Thai. Therefore, the place has been called "Phan Hin" or stone tray since.

Amphoe Prachantakham (อำเภอประจันตคาม)

Namtok Than Thip (น้ำตกธารทิพย์) The waterfall runs through different rocky levels. At some point, it passes a wide rock terrace, and some points are a deep pool. People can swim here. There is a rock terrace for recreation.

Namtok Som Poi (น้ำตกส้มป่อย) This not-so-high waterfall runs through cataracts at different levels. The stream stretches some 400 metres and there are pools suitable for swimming.

Namtok Takhro and Namtok Salat Dai (น้ำตกตะคร้อและน้ำตกสลัดได) This waterfall has wide rapids and there is a suspension bridge spanning across it. The left side features a hill while the right hand side features a timber forest –a relaxing stop.

Amphoe Kabin Buri (อำเภอกบินทร์บุรี)

Kabin Chaloem Rat Park (อุทยานกบินทร์เฉลิมราชย์) This large park/swamp occupies an area of approximately 900 rai. During October - May, thousand of grebes migrate from Siberia.

Mueang Thong Kham Ban Bo Thong Museum (พิพิธภัณฑ์เหมืองทองคำบ้านบ่อทอง) Intended as a knowledge and cultural hub, this museum features history of gold mining, archives, as well as, mine-related objects such as artefacts, or local tools. Exhibitions inside displays the history of the gold mine such as underground mining, and separating the ores.

Amphoe Na Di (อำเภอนาดี)

Thap Lan National Park (อุทยานแห่งชาติทับลาน) occupies an approximate area of 2,240 km2 (860 sq mi) or 1,400,000 rai. It was established in 1981. Usually there is no accommodation available in the Park. Tourists need to bring their own tents.

Kaeng Hin Phoeng (แก่งหินเพิง) These beautiful and large rapids are in the Sai Yai River. It is most popular for the challenging and enjoyable whitewater rafting during the rainy season (July–November) -- the water is very vigorous and flows through different cataracts. After the rainy months, Kaeng Hin Phoeng becomes a large rock terrace.

Suan Nongnuch Camping Resort (สวนนงนุช แคมป์ปิ้ง รีสอร์ท) Occupying an area of approximately 2,000 rai, Suan Nongnuch Camping Resort, filled with a variety of flowering plants and exotic gardens, is adjacent to Khao Yai National Park.


Trekking: Many trekking routes are available as follows:

Whitewater Rafting at Kaeng Hin Phoeng

Bicycling Those who bring their own bicycle can tour along the routes as follows:

  1. Khao Yai Grand View Thani Resort to Namtok Khao
  2. Sa Morakot Archaeological Site Route starts from the Buddha's Footprints.

Golf Prachinburi has two major golf courses, being:

Ban Dong Bang Agro-tourism Attractions

Ban Nong Chuang – Ban Nong Kankrao Fruit Streets, filled with different types of orchards such as:

Events and Festivals

Makha Purami Si Prachin Festival (งานมาฆปูรมีศรีปราจีน) takes place yearly on Makha Puja Day at Wat Sa Morakot, Amphoe Si Mahosot. In the event, both monks and the public will practice meditation, as well as, pay respect and participate in the candlelight ceremony around the biggest and the most ancient Buddha's Footprints in Thailand with lighted candles, incense and flowers.

The Bang Fai Sky Rocket Festival (งานแห่บั้งไฟ) is organized annually on Visakha Puja Day at Wat Ton Pho Si Maha Pho, Amphoe Si Mahosot. There is the lighting of the Bang Fai sky rocket, the competition of Soeng Traditional Dance in the Sky Rocket Procession, as well as, performances celebrating the event.

Agriculture and Well-known Products of Prachin Buri Fair (งานวันเกษตร และของดีเมืองปราจีน) happens approximately during May–June every year in front of the city hall. In the fair, there are fruits and agricultural product market, fruits and vegetable contests, agricultural competition and demonstration, exhibitions by various authorities, as well as, competition of agricultural vehicles and entertainment celebrating the event.

Whitewater Rafting at Kaeng Hin Phoeng Week (งานสัปดาห์ล่องแก่งหินเพิง) is organized annually around August–September at the 9th Safeguard Unit, Khao Yai National Park, Amphoe Na Di. In the event, there is a rafting competition and an economical whitewater rafting at Kaeng Hin Phoeng.

Traditional Long Boat Races (งานแข่งเรือยาวประเพณี) takes place during the second week of September every year on the Bang Pakong River, in front of the Mueang District Administration Office. There are both traditional long and local boats competing to win Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn's Cup.

Loi Krathong Festival (งานลอยกระทง) is organized on the full moon night of the 12th lunar month at the edge of the dam next to the conference hall of the Mueang District Administration Office. There is the Nang Nopphamat Beauty Contest, Krathong procession contest, students' performances, as well as, performances celebrating the festival.


Go next

Routes through Prachinburi

Bangkok Chachoengsao  W  E  Sa Kaeo Aranyaprathet

This article is issued from Wikivoyage - version of the Monday, January 18, 2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.