Portimão is the second biggest city in the Algarve, Portugal, and famous for its fresh fish restaurants, grilled sardines being the most famous dish. One of the most well known beaches in the Algarve, Rocha ("Praia da Rocha") "Rocky Beach", is very close to Portimao, and there are numerous others nearby.
There is an small airport near Portimão which despite having an IATA code does not feature any regularly scheduled flights. The nearby airport in Faro, only 70 kilometres away, has both domestic and several international routes from across Europe.
Trains on the, rather slow, regional line between Lagos and Faro stops here, it's about a 1½ hour journey from Faro, for connections to Lisbon change trains in Tunes just over half an hour to the east. Most trains continue on to Vila Real de Santo António on the Spanish border after a short layover in Faro.
Eva Bus offers numerous daily connections from Faro. There are also 5-6 daily connections from Lisbon (3 hours, €19) on the Expresso Qualidade service, and once daily from Seville (6 hours, €19) on the Lagos-Sevilha service. The bus station is on Largo do Dique a bit north of the centre, about 500 meters south of the road bridge.
- Praia da Rocha (A 30 minute walk from the centre of town or a 70 cent bus ride). The beautiful beach.
- Praia do Vau (Just walk west, along the scenic cliffs). The less known beach, but what a gem!
Wild dolphin watching departing from marina de Portimão in Praia do Rocha.
The main street shopping area has a wealth of nice shops supplying clothes, jewelry, and ornamental objects.
- Terezinha, Rua Direita, 97, ☎ +351 252 425 690. The oldest restaurant in Portimao and provides a fantastic seafood meal at very reasonable prices.
- Casa Inglesa (River front). Dixieland jazz every Thursday at 20:30.
- Mirachoro Apartments II, Urb. Alto do Quintao, 64/65, ☎ +351 282 460 880. Inexpensive 3-star hotel.
- Penina Hotel & Golf Resort, Po Box 146, Penina, ☎ +351 282 420 200, e-mail: email@example.com. A "luxurious" hotel and golf resort, part of the JJW Hotels & Resort Group, comprises an 18-hole championship course and other amenities.