Porthmadog is a small coastal town of around 4000 people with a picturesque harbour.
The town is also served by the narrow gauge Ffestiniog Railway from Blaneau Ffestiniog, Welsh Highland Railway from Caernarfon and the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway.
- Portmeirion Village, LL48 6ET (Portmeirion is 1 ½ miles South of Porthmadog), ☎ +44 1766 770000, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Portmeirion was created by the architect Clough Williams-Ellis from 1925 to 1976. The location of the cult 60s TV series The Prisoner, "I am not a number. I am a free man"
The Ffestiniog Railway and the Welsh Highland Railway both have their termini in Porthmadog. The Ffestiniog runs through several miles of attractive terrain to Blaenau Ffestiniog. From Blaenau you can either proceed north on the standard gauge Conwy Valley Line to the coast at Llandudno or you can return to Porthmadog. A round trip (Porthmadog - Blaenau - Porthmadog) will take approximately 4 hours (more if you break the journey along the route) and it is therefore an excellent way of occupying a day.
- Cob Records, 1-3 Britannia Terrace. Shop specialising in bargain second-hand records, tapes, CDs, videos and DVDs. Good Welsh-language sections.
The town has a Chinese restaurant, an Indian restaurant, a bistro, and various pubs serving food, including one at the station of the Ffestiniog Railway situated at the end of the Cob. The village of Tremadog is about a fifteen minute walk and enjoys four food pubs on its square. There are also numerous take-aways, including Chinese and an award-winning Fish & Chip shop.
- Spooners Grill, Cafe and Bar (On the platform of the Ffestiniog Railway), ☎ +44 1766 516032. The ideal place for a drink or food before or after your journey on the Ffestiniog Railway or Welsh Highland Railway
The town has a good selection of Bed and Breakfast guest houses and makes a good base for exploring North-West Wales.
- Velog Bed and Breakfast, 15 Ralph Street, Borth-y-Gest, Porthmadog LL49 9UA, Gwynedd, ☎ +44 1766 514035, e-mail: email@example.com. Family run bed and breakfast. Sits in pretty harbour village of Borth-y-Gest at the gateway to The Snowdonia National Park. Double bedded rooms fit 6 persons in, sorry no twin beds available. Home cooked food in relaxed surroundings. WIFI throughout via BTWIFI hotspots. Velog is not suitable for physically disabled persons who cannot manage stairs.No pets or children.Free pick up and drop off from Porthmadog train station or Porthmadog town centre if coming in via bus or coach.
Close to the New Coastal Path. Just 5min from narrow gauge railways of Welsh Highland and Ffestiniog. 1/2 hr from Mt. Snowdon. Walking in Mountains, Coastal Path or Valleys just minutes away. Beautiful sandy beaches and safe bathing waters just 2 minutes from house. House is in a quiet residential road just off of the main front, so a guaranteed quiet good nights sleep every night. Rooms £55.00 prpn.
- The Portmeirion village is about two miles away.
- The Lleyn Peninsula is an easy drive.
- Snowdonia National Park stretches both North and South from here.