Port Pirie is a coastal town on the Spencer Gulf in South Australia, developed around its port and industry.
Port Pirie is just off the A1 around 250km north of Adelaide, and an hour or so south of Port Augusta. The A1 leaves the coast at Port Wakefield and, with the exception of the salt lakes at Locheil, takes a direct route lacking in attractions. The Copper Coast Highway is an alternate route, hitting a few towns along the coast.
The Ghan and the Indian Pacific both stop just outside of Port Pirie. Services for each run once or twice a week in each direction.
Premier Stateliner runs coach services daily.
- Nyrstar Port Pirie Smelter. Is the largest lead smelter in the world. The large chimney is visible from many miles around. The best view of the facility is probably from the other side of the Port Pirie River, just cross the river at the bridge to nowhere off the main street.
- Flinders View Park.
- Solomontown Beach. A nice pier, man-made beach and swimming spot. Take care with strong tides if you go too far out into the river. Showers and change rooms.
- Restaurant at Port Germenin Hotel, 11 High St, ☎ +61 8 8634 5244.
- Fork and Cork, 106 Gertrude St, ☎ +61 86 326867, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Open for lunches Mon-Friday 10.30am-2.30pm. Modern, Fresh New Restaurant.
- Cj1 Indian Curry, 160 Ellen St, ☎ +61 8 8633 2228. Cuisines Indian.
- Caffe Florence, 31 Alexander St, ☎ +61 8 86 333 222, e-mail: email@example.com. Monday - Friday 8am to 5pm, Saturday 9am to 1pm, Closed Sundays & Public Holdays. Cuisines Indian.
- Pizzario, 60 Main Rd, ☎ +61 8 8632 3626. Pizza Italian.
- John Pirie Motor Inn, 166-174 Warnertown Road, ☎ +61886324200. Check-in: 17 Apr, check-out: 18 Apr. AUD$160.
|Routes through Port Pirie|
|Port Augusta ←||N S||→ Adelaide|
|Port Augusta ←||W E||→ Adelaide|
|Port Augusta ← Port Germein ←||N S||→ Port Wakefield → Adelaide|