Port Hope is 12km (7mi) west of Cobourg; both towns have VIA Rail service. The Port Hope station is one of two original to the 1856 opening of Grand Trunk's Montréal-Toronto mainline (the other is in Napanee) and has been painstakingly historically restored.
Cobourg Transit (☎+1 905-372-4555) operates a shuttle bus between the two towns.
The closest major airport is Toronto Pearson International Airport in Malton (IATA: YYZ). Coach Canada operates a bus service which does stop alongside Highway 401 on its way from Kingston to Malton airport.
- Canadian Fire Fighters Museum, 95 Mill St S (Take Exit #464 off Hwy 401, go south and follow the signs to the museum), ☎ +1 905 885-8985, e-mail: email@example.com. Open 7 days a week from Victoria Day weekend to Thanksgiving 10 am to 4 pm. Donation.
- Capitol Theatre, 20 Queen St, ☎ +1 905 885-1071. An old movie theatre that now hosts plays and concerts. It's architecturally unique as one of the last "atmospheric" theatres in Canada. The walls and ceiling are painted to give the effect that the audience is sitting outside in a medieval courtyard. The lobby also retains the Art Deco elements that were popular when the theatre was built. Reviewers indicate the sight lines are good and there isn't a bad seat in the theatre.
- Take a walk around downtown Port Hope. It isn't big and it is considered to be one of the best preserved 19th century streetscapes in Ontario.
- Three 18-hole golf courses (Ash Brook Golf Club +1 905-885-8546, Dalewood Golf & Curling Club +1 905-885-8144 and Port Hope Golf & Country Club +1 905-885-6487) are in this area.
- Dreamers Café, 2 Queen St (corner of Walton & Queen), ☎ +1 905 885-8303. M-Sa 7AM-5PM, Su 8AM-5PM. Little café with a small lunch menu, some very rich desserts and a fairly usual mix of hot and cold drinks. The main entrance is a bit dark, but the side room is brighter and shows off some of the Victorian styling of the building. The most notable dishes are the lobster bisque and the Crazy Cookie - a sweet mix of cookie, chocolate and caramel -- it's quite popular although a little too sweet for some. Lunch items $7-10.
- Trattoria Gusto, 1 Walton St, ☎ +1 905 885-1198.
- Comfort Inn, Rt 2211 County Rd 28, ☎ +1 905 885-7000, fax: +1 905 885-7070.
- The Waddell, 1 Walton St, toll-free: +1-800-361-1957, fax: +1 905 885-5355, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cobourg is a ten minute drive east of Port Hope along Lake Ontario.
- Peterborough is a 30-40 minute drive north on County Road 28 (Ontario St).
|Routes through Port Hope|
|Toronto ← Oshawa ←||W E||→ Cobourg → Kingston|
|Oshawa ← Newcastle ←||W E||→ Cobourg → Kingston|
|Peterborough ← CR 28 ←||N S||→ END|