Port Hedland is a major iron ore export location, large amount of iron ore are shipped out of here. It is located on the North West Coast Highway between the north west towns, and the next major location around the coast of Broome, to the north east in the Kimberley. Long distances to travel to anywhere from here, and long trains into the port.
Port Hedland has an international airport and flights from Perth are frequent. A small bar is available in the departures lounge with an alfresco area which caters to smokers.
Port Hedland is a port town heavily geared to supporting the resources sector, and has few tourist attractions. The website of the Port Hedland Visitor's Centre states that they offer tours of the local BHP iron ore loading facilities. The town also has several small art galleries.
- Port Hedland Walkabout Motel Hotel & Function Centre, North West Coastal Highway (Opposite Port Hedland Airport).
- Ibis Styles Port Hedland, Corner Lukis and McGregor Sts (PO Box 804).
- Mia Mia Port Hedland International Airport, Lot.2444 Great Northern Highway.
- Hospitality Inn Port Hedland, Webster Street.
- South Hedland Motel, 12 Court Place (Mercy Park), ☎ +61 8 9172 2888, fax: +61 8 9172 3425, e-mail: email@example.com. At our motel, we want to create an outstanding guest experience for you, whether you're staying for vacation or business.
Stingray Creek, South East Creek, Red Bank, Wedgefield, South Hedland, Boodarie, Finucane Island, Finucane, Eight Mile Creek, Beebingarra Creek