An old and important community of Northern Thailand, Phrae was founded after Chiang Mai had been established as the capital of the Lanna Thai kingdom. With one of the largest reserves of teak forests in the country, it is on the banks of the Yom River, 555 km from Bangkok. It covers an area of about 6,538 square kilometres and surrounded on all sides by mountains with level plains in the middle.
- TAT (Tourism Authority of Thailand), 2, Baan Mai Road, Nai Viang (Slightly out of town, near the intersection of Muang Hit & Khamlue Rd), ☎ +66 54 521127, fax: +66 54 521119, e-mail: email@example.com.
The bus station is at the north end of Yantarakitkoson Rd. You can take the train to Den Chai and take a songthaew to Phrae.
There are many old buildings in Phrae. Try to get the Historic buildings of Phrae map if you can find it.
- Khum Chao Luang, Khumderm Rd. Old teak house, where the king and queen stayed when they visited Phrae. Free.
- Old City Wall. There isn't much left of it, but you can see where it used to be along portions of the moat.
- Wongburi (Vongburi) House, Wichairacha Rd. 09:00-17:00. Old teak house. 30 baht.
- Phae Muang Phi Forest Park (วนอุทยานแพะเมืองผี). Interesting rock formations outside the town.
- Wiang Kosai National Park (Midway between Phrae and Lampang), ☎ +66 54 556763. This park is not well-known. It has a beautiful 7 tiered waterfall. Just 5 km after the park is the turn off to a lovely getaway called Punjen Hide-Away. This small resort has 3 cabins with 2 bedrooms and private bathrooms, small kitchen area, and sitting area. It is next to the Saloke River, so you can listen to the sound of running water from your terrace. They have both bed and breakfast or a unique village tour over 3 days/2 nights. It's a great place for young or old. Don't miss it if you are in the area.
- Komol Ancient Fabric Museum (Opposite Long Witthaya School, Long), ☎ +66 54 581532. Ancient fabrics and modern versions for sale.
- Ban Suan Restaurant, Yantarakitkoson Rd (5 min walk S of Charoen Meuang Rd on the E side), ☎ +66 80 4918118. 10:00-22:00. The Thai chef cooks up Thai and Chinese food. The chef and his wife both speak some English and an English menu is in the works.
- Vegan Food for Health, Charoenmuang Rd (Near Namkhue Rd, near the moat), ☎ +66 85 8566081. 09:30-21:00. Brown rice, health drinks, etc. Has English/Thai/picture menu and English speaking staff.
- Nakhorn Phrae Hotel, 69 Ratchadamnoen Rd (Just east of Rong Saw Rd), ☎ +66 54 511122. Double, fan, cable TV, free Wi-Fi, hot water, private bath. 290 baht.
- Paradorn Hotel, 177 Yantrakitkoson Rd (Near the BKS bus station), ☎ +66 54 511177. Fan, cable TV, hot water, private bath, large clean room. 350 baht.
- Tepwiman Hotel, 31-37 Sribanrung Rd (SE of the moat, SE of Rongso Rd/Namkhue Rd)). Has very helpful English-speaking staff.
- Thepvong Place (On a quiet soi, in the heart of Phrae, easy walking distance to the Night Market). 250 baht.