Peebles is a town in the Scottish Borders.
Buses (First Scotland East 62A/X62 and X70) leave from Edinburgh Waterloo Place (close to Princes Street and North Bridge) regularly and cost about 5 GBP one-way.
Most of Peebles can be seen on foot. However there is also a bus service which does run most of the way round the town, but is mainly used for locals and it basically visits all the different housing areas.
- Neidpath Castle (About 1.5km west of Peebles), ☎ +44 1875 870201. The castle is only open to the public by prior (group) arrangements.
- Traquair House, Traquair House, Innerleithen, Peeblesshire, EH44 6PW (About 2.5km from Innerleithen and 10km from Peebles), ☎ +44 1896 830323. Apr-Sep: daily 11:00-17:00; Oct: daily 11:00-16:00; Nov: weekends only 11:00-15:00; Dec-Mar: closed. Scotland's oldest inhabited house which also has its own microbrewery. House and grounds: £8.60 adults, £4.30 children.
- Kailzie Gardens, Kailzie, EH45 9HT (About 4km south-east of Peebles), ☎ +44 1721 720007. Summer (end of Mar - end of Oct): 11:00-17:30; winter: during daylight (except the Walled garden which is closed).
- Eastgate Theatre & Arts Center, Eastgate, ☎ +44 1721 725777. Hosts many local and national acts and is worth going to see something one night mainly for the atmosphere.
- Glentress Mountain Biking Center (7stanes) (5 minute drive from Peebles. From Edinburgh you can get there on the 62 bus in just over 1 hour), ☎ +44 1721 721180. The largest mountain biking centre in Scotland, and one of the best in the UK. You can hire a bike and helmet for around £20 a day. Routes are provided for cyclists of different skill levels, and are signposted so you won't get lost. It is good for all standards of biking and well worth visiting.
- Stobo Castle Health Spa, Stobo, Peeblesshire, EH45 8NY, ☎ +44 1721 725300. For a bit of luxury try this spa. Set in beautiful grounds, it offers a variety of treatments as well as having beautiful guest rooms and wonderful food. Is quite expensive though - but has been known to host celebrities such as Gwen Stefani and Tiger Woods.
- Golfing is very popular, again 5 minutes away from the town at Cardrona Country Club.
There is nothing particular that is special to Peebles itself, some local produce is about it. There are many nice, individual gift shops on the high street and down some of the smaller streets leading off the high street worth a look at though.
- MacHardy's, just off the High Street, is a small art gallery which sells reasonably priced art from local artists.
- The County Inn, 35 High Street, EH45 8AN (Situated in the middle of High Street). Cheap, traditional good food in a local pub atmosphere. Filled with younger locals.
- Francos (At the end of High Street next to the Parish Church). A wonderful Italian restaurant. Small, but their pasta dishes — especially the lasagne — is beautiful.
- Prince Of India, 84-86 High St, EH45 8SW. For a good Indian meal
Many pubs on the high street-nothing too special and again mainly filled with locals.
- For the younger generation (18+ of course as that is the UK law) try the County as mentioned before.
- The older generations tend to head to the pub at the end of the high street called 'The Trust'.
- The Cross Keys, down the Northgate is also nice when its hot as it has a good beer garden.
- The Neidpath, found in the old town area, also has a good beer garden.
- Many guest houses dotted all over the town.
- Peebles Hydro, Innerleithen Rd, ☎ +44 1764 651846. is good for families as it offers kids club, swimming activities, horse riding etc.
- Cringletie House Hotel, Edinburgh Rd, Redscarhead, ☎ +44 1721 722510. Luxury castle hotel and the Sutherland Restaurant