Paradip or Paradeep is a city in Jagatsinghpur District of Odisha (formerly known as Orissa). It is a major port town and industries are coming up fast. POSCO of South Korea has selected this site for a 12-million tonnes steel plant.
Paradeep is 125 km by road from Bhubaneswar Airport; 94 km by road from Cuttack Railway Station. Paradip is connected by rail but most people prefer to travel via Bhubaneswar or Cuttack. Hired cars or taxis are easily available at both the places. Those who are not heading for a long stay can even come back to Bhubaneswar or Cuttack the same day. Alternatively, there are good hotels in Paradip for those who are planning a longer stay. The importance of Paradeep and its beach is manifold. Besides being an attractive tourist spot, the Paradeep beach in Odisha is also one of the most important commercial sea port of the country. Paradeep which is actually an estuary of the Mahanadi River, is one of the most popular beaches of Odisha. Covered by green forests and adorned with natural creeks and island, the Paradeep beach is a paradise for all marine lovers.
Located at a distance of 125 Kilometers from the capital city of Bhubaneshwar, the Sea port of Paradeep is the oldest existing port of the state of Odisha. Paradeep attracts a number of tourists from all over the world and its shimmering golden beaches and aqua blue waters explain its popularity. The tropical sun and the long stretches of sandy beaches are the perfect place to soak oneself in the organic values of nature.
Important pilgrim centre Kendrapara is 65 km from Cuttack. Known as Tulasi Kshetra it is famous for the temple of Lord Baladeva. A grand car festival is held here annually which draws a mammoth crowd. Also 60 km from Cuttack, Jhankad, houses the shrine of Goddess Sarala and the place is associated with poet Sarala Das, the first epic poet of Odisha.
How to get there : All three have regular bus service from Cuttack.
On the confluence of the river Mahanadi and the Bay of Bengal, Paradeep is a beautiful beach. The beach is famous for its clear blue water, green forest, stones along side the beach, a good marine drive and the biggest port. Visitor can spend some hours by frolicking in the lovely indigo water. The scenic location of the beach gives an ideal destination for tour.
Location: Paradeep Beach is at a distance of 94-km from Cuttack and 125 km from Temple city Bhubaneswar.
November to March
Airlines: The nearest airport is Bhubaneswar just 125km away from Paradeep; from there you can easily fetch a vehicle or a bus. Rail Lines: The nearest rail station is Cuttack, 94 km away from Paradeep. From here you can pick a bus to Paradeep. Bus Lines: NH-5A links Paradeep, so any one can easily come to Paradeep from major cities of Odisha, it also connect 3 major tourist towns of Udayagiri, Lalitgiri and Ratnagiri, all within a 100km.
Lodging/Accommodation at Paradeep Beach
In Paradeep you can accommodate yourself in Budget hotels or in Lodges otherwise you can stay in Bhubaneswar or Cuttack and take a trip to here.
Fascinating Places near the Paradeep Beach :
Temple of Baladeva
Kendrapara, known as 'Tulasi Kshetra', is famous for the temple of Lord Baladeva.
Situated 60-km from Cuttack, Jhankad popular for the temple of Goddess Sarala and the place is associated with poet Sarala Das, the first epic poet of Odisha. A grand car festival is held here annually which attracts a vast crowd.
Bhitarkanika National Park
The seashore area has been a crocodile sanctuary since 1975.Bhitarkanika National Park, sprawled over 367 sq km, is home to variety of animals. The exciting forest is covered by mangrove s criss-crossed by rivers and creeks.
Known for sea turtles and water monitor lizards, Gahirmatha beach has rare white crocodiles. It is also a Park for deer and migratory birds. The place is now the nesting place of the olive Ridley sea turtles.
- Hanuman Temple
- Jagganath Temple
- Light House (You can visit in the Evening Only).
- Marine Aquarium
- Neheru Bunglow, Sea Beach (12Km from Paradip).
- Paradeep Port
- Sea Beach
- Smurti Udyan
You can enjoy here by sunbathing and strolling.
The attractions in Paradeep are not restricted to its beaches alone. There are a number of places that one can visit around Paradeep, these include:
• Temple of Baladeva
• Gahirmatha beach
• Bhitarkanika National Park
Cuttack and Bhubaneshwar are respectively the nearest railhead and Airport of Paradeep. Reaching Paradeep from any part of Odisha is not a problem as it is well connected by road. The National Highway number 5A passes through Paradeep and links the sea side resort to 3 important tourist spots of the state, Udayagiri, Lalitgiri and Ratnagiri. The roads along the coast line is simply fascinating which makes the experience of traveling to Paradeep as ecstatic as the destination itself.
Fish & Prawn.
And sea foods like
Fish, Crabs, Prawns
Do not forget to drink Paradip lassi (with coconut as one of the ingredient) from Badapadia, famously known as Gaveskar Lassi
- Hotel Aristocrat (Tel. 22091-94)
- Hotel Aristocrat, Paradip, Telephone +91 6722 222091/ 222092/ 223721, Fax +91 6722 222426, Tariff ₹550 – ₹1,200.
- Hotel Country Inn & Suites, ☎ +91 6722 223408-223409, fax: +91 6722 223410, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Paradip Marine Drive, Paradip Port, Paradip, , Tariff ₹3,000 – ₹7,500.
- Hotel Golden Anchor, Madhuban (Tel. 22647, 22648)
- Hotel Golden Anchor, Paradip, Telephone +91 6722 222647/222648 /221028, Fax +91 6722 222645, E-Mail:email@example.com, Tariff ₹800-₹1,450.
- Hotel Golden Palace Kendrapara
- Hotel Paradeep International (22547, 22951).
- Hotel Paradeep International, Paradip – 754 142, Telephone +91 6722 222986/222985, Fax +91 6722 222454/222547, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tariff ₹150-₹1,200.
- Hotel Sea Pearl, ☎ +91 6722 230198-230599, fax: +91 6722 230598, e-mail: email@example.com. Paradip, , ₹800 – ₹1,700.
- Jawahar Guest House, ☎ +91 6722 222362-222015. Paradip, ₹100-₹1,000.
- Kash Guest House, ☎ +91 6722 222785-222608, fax: +91 6722 222652. Tariff ₹250 – ₹600.
- Panthanivas, Odisha Tourism Development Corporation (OTDC), Paradip, Telephone +91 6722 222275, Tariff ₹380-₹750.
- Paradeep Port Trust’s Nehru Bungalow and Madhuban Guest House. Contact the Port Trust Chairman for booking.
- Rajshree Lodge (Tel: 23073) and Aram Lodge (Tel : 22319)
- Shrikrishna Lodge (Tel. 22571)
- Santosh Lodge
- Tulasi Lodge (Tel: 22498)
Exciting moments can also be had at the Bhitarkanika Wildlife Sanctuary. Sprawled over 672 square kilometres, it has a variety of animals in its mangrove forests criss-crossed by rivers and creeks. Know for crocodiles, sea-turtles (on the Gahirmatha beach) and water monitor lizards, it has r are white crocodiles. It is also a sanctuary for deer and migratory birds. One can also see 10th-11th century temples, sculptures, and mud-forts and pottery.
Accommodation is available at the Forest Inspection Bungalow and Interpretation Centre at Dangmal and Forest Rest House at Ekakula on Gahirmatha beach. Contact Divisional Forest Officer, Rajnagar, Dist, Kendrapara.
You may go to Bhitarkanika via Chandbali and Rajnagar which are 160 km and 100 km respectively from Cuttack. Dangmal, the base is three hours from both Chandbali and Rajnagar by motor launch. For motor launch, contact the DFO, Rajnagar, or Assistant Director, Inland Water Transport, Chandbali.
Assistance : Tourist Office, Cuttack, Tel: 612225.