Padasjoki parish is known from the 15th century. The Padasjoki river has been an important waterway since prehistoric times. There are hundreds of lakes in the municipality. Lake Vesijako is a bifurcation, its water flowing both via Kokemäki river to the Gulf of Bothnia and via Päijänne and Kymijoki to the Gulf of Finland.
Päijänne National Park and Evo National Hiking Area are partly in Padasjoki.
Buses between Helsinki and Jyväskylä pass Padasjoki mostly once an hour in daytime, via Lahti and Jämsä, where there are railway stations. Many buses stop near Vanha nelostie instead of at the bus station.
The centre of Padasjoki is quite large, with points of interests in a few separate areas: by the bus station, by the shopping centre and by the church. There are commercial services also in Taulu near Vanha nelostie and (summertime) by the harbour ( Laivaranta).
- Hiking in Evo National Hiking Area and Päijänne National Park.
- Boating or canoeing in the lakes and rivers, including Päijänne Päijänne National Park.
- Skiing event and competition – In February, a 7.5km long annual full moon skiing event and competition occurs on the frozen Lake Päijänne.
- Sahtimarkkinat (Sahti market) – During the first weekend of July Padasjoki hosts a home-brewed beer market.
- Päijännepurjehdus (Päijänne Sailing): 17-20 July 2015 . Every two years the Padasjoki Marina is the starting point for a well-known sailing competition. (date needs updating)
- Nakukymppi: 17 June 2016 , Vesijaonraitti 141, ☎ +358 400 483347, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 7 PM to 9 PM. A light-hearted sports event where people run or walk 10 km completely nude. Held on a Friday in middle June. Anyone interested in nude sport can participate. Food, drink and live music available at the site. After the event there is a sauna evening at Lomakeskus Telaranta a few kilometres away. Local people usually come to watch and cheer the participants on. Free of charge.
- Shopping centre (halfway from Vanha nelostie towards the church).
There are numerous cottages for rent in the municipality, some in connection to full-service tourist activities.
- Lomakeskus Telaranta, Porasantie 176, ☎ +358 400 711819, e-mail: email@example.com. Rentable cottages and rooms available right at the shore of lake Parlammi. Two spacious and comfortable outdoor saunas.