As with most of South Africa it is best to use a rented car.
- Afrikaans Language Museum, 11 Pastorie Ave, ☎ +27 21 872-3441, e-mail: email@example.com. M-F 9AM-4PM, Closed: public holidays.. 'Die Afrikaanse Taalmuseum' explores the origins of the Afrikaans language. Discover how Afrikaans' development was influenced by Dutch, Malay-Portuguese, French, German, English, Arabic and the indigenous Khoi and African languages. The museum’s focus is on experience – its interactive, multimedia exhibitions give the visitor a hands-on experience of Afrikaans, its history, its dialects, its people and its peculiarities, including interesting place names and nicknames. This museum, although very small in comparison to most other museums, is regarded as one of the leading institutions in South Africa in the field of displaying intangible heritage. In Oom Gideon se Winkel visitors can buy books, CD’s, T-shirts with Afrikaans poems, and craft and delicacies from years gone by. Entrance fee: R10 adults, R5 students, R2 children.
- Taalmonument, ☎ +27 21 872 3441, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Su 8AM to 5PM (8PM Sep to Apr). The Afrikaans Language Monument was unveiled in October 1975. The main 57 meter column symbolises the Afrikaans language while the other columns, domes and walls represents the contribution of the European, indigenous African and Malay languages that have contributed to the development of Afrikaans. A restaurant is located at the monument and the elevated location of the monument provides good views over the Paarl Valley. Entrance fee: R10 adults R5 students R2 children.
- Paarl Mountain Nature Reserve, Jan Phillips Mountain Drive, ☎ +27 21 872-3658, fax: +27 21 807-8054. Daily 7AM-6PM. Fynbos landscape and wild olives dominated by massive rounded granite rock formations.
- The Paarl Rock. One of the worlds largest granite outcrops.
- Die Vonds Snake Park, 104 Main Street Wellington, ☎ +27 21 869-8309. M-Sa 9:30AM-5:30PM. Snakes, monitors, tortoises and other animals and birds.
- F.S. Smit & Co., 10 Lyon Street, ☎ +27 21 863-1032, fax: +27 21 863-2931. Traditional wine cast manufacture with showroom
- Strooidak Church, Main Road, ☎ +27 21 872-4396, fax: +27 21 872-9370, e-mail: email@example.com. One of the oldest and most historic churches in South Africa.
- The 12km long Paarl Main Road. The longest main road in South Africa. It boasts a mix of Cape Dutch, Victorian, Edwardian and Art Deco architecture.
- Paarl Bird Sanctuary, Drommedaris Street, ☎ +27 21 868-2074, fax: +27 21 868-2507. Home to Hartlaub's Gull, Greyheaded Gull, Cape Shoveller, African Black Duck, Cape Reed Warbler, African Rail, Little Bittern and other species.
Visit one of many wine estates
- Boland Kelder, ☎ +27 21 862-6190, fax: +27 21 862-5379, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 8AM-5PM. Sa 8:30AM-1PM. Cheese and wine tasting Under the Tree
- KWV Wine Emporium, Kohler street, ☎ +27 21 807-3007, fax: +27 21 807-3119, e-mail: email@example.com. Open for wine tasting M-Sa 9AM-4:30PM. Cellar tours M-Sa 10AM, 10:15AM (in German), 10:30AM and 2:15PM. Home of some of the best wines and brandies produced in South Africa
- Laborie Estate, Taillefret street, ☎ +27 21 807-3390, fax: +27 21 863-1955. Open from October to April daily 9AM-5PM.
- Nederburg, Sonstraal Road, Daljosafat, ☎ +27 21 862-3104, fax: +27 21 862-4887, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 8:30AM-5PM, Sa 10AM-2PM.
- Rhebokskloof, ☎ +27 21 869-8386, fax: +27 21 869-8504, e-mail: email@example.com. Open daily 9AM-5PM.
- Ruitersvlei, Suid-Agter Paarl Road, ☎ +27 21 863-1517, fax: +27 21 863-1443, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 8:30AM-5PM, Sa 8:30AM-3PM, Su 11AM-3PM.
- Simonsvlei, ☎ +27 21 863-3040, fax: +27 21 863-1240, e-mail: email@example.com. M-F 8AM-6PM, Sa 8:30AM-4:30PM, Su 11AM-3PM. Offers cellar tours, wine tasting and olive tasting
- Mooi Bly, ☎ +27 21 868-2808, fax: +27 21 868-2808, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. on appointment only. Offers 'vine to wine tours, takes 1,5 hours
- Wineland Ballooning, ☎ +27 21 863-3192, e-mail: email@example.com. Go on a Hot-Air balloon over the Berg River Valley
There are a number of hiking trails in the area, ranging from short walk to multi-day trails.
- Paarl Mountain Nature Reserve, ☎ +27 21 872-3658. A number of trail run through the reserve, ranging from 2.4km to 10km.
- Laborie Wine Hiking Trail, ☎ +27 21 708-3390. See the cape flora and birdlife on the Laborie Estate
- Limietberg Trail, ☎ +27 21 871-1536. A two-day trail of 36km. Start at the foot of the Du Toitskloof, then to Bainskloof village and on to Tweede Tol.
- Le Bonheur Crocodile Farm, Babilonstoren Road, ☎ +27 21 863-1142, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A crocodile farm. Try a crocodile pie or buy crocodile leather articles
- Valley Gun Club, On the R312 towards Durbanville, just outside Paarl, ☎ +27 83 325-4764. W from 2PM and Sa from 12PM. The largest clay target shooting club in South Africa and host to the 2010 DTL Trap World Championships. Trap, Skeet, Trench and Sporting.
- Play championship golf at Paarl Golf Club, ☎ +27 21 863-1140, e-mail: email@example.com. Paarl Golf Club has a magnificent championship standard 27 hole golf course situated on Boschenmeer Golf Estate. It is a friendly club that welcomes visitors, including on competition days, and provides an outstanding golfing challenge on a well manicured course with good undulating greens. The Berg river flows alongside the course, and the backdrop of mountains is stunningly beautiful. PGC will host a Sunshine Tour event in 2009, and was a qualifying course for the 2007 SAA South African Open.
- Paarl Directory (Paarl Directory), KWV Building, ☎ +27828974301, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Accommodation, restaurants, attractions and local business guide to everything Paarl.
- Red Hot Glass Studio, Seidelberg Wine Estate Suid-After Paarl Road Suider Paarl, ☎ +27 21 863-0330. Daily 9AM-5PM.
- Wine. From any of the wine estates. Do a number wine tasting trips first and find out what you really enjoy. Most estates will ship to your home address so you don't have to cart the bottles around while you travel.
- Fairview Cheese, ☎ +27 21 863-2450. Fairview specializes in goats milk cheeses
- Ikhaya, 185 Main Road, ☎ +27 21 872-5831. Arts, Crafts and Gifts
|This page uses the following price ranges for a typical meal for one, including soft drink:|
|Mid-range||R100 to R500|
There are a number of fine restaurants are situated along the Main Road and most of the wine estates also have their own restaurants on site.
- At Ease Cafe, 191 Mainroad, ☎ +27 21 872-2781. Tu-Sa 11AM-late. Su 11AM-5PM. Ovenbaked pizza and pasta, homemade pies
- Kostinrichting Coffee Shop, 19 Pastorielaan, ☎ +27 21 871-1353, fax: +27 872-3599. Light meals
- Taal Monument Restaurant, ☎ +27 21 863-2800, fax: +27 21 863-1797, e-mail: email@example.com. M 8:30AM-5PM, Th-Sa 8:30AM-10PM, Su 8:30AM-5PM. A la Carte and Sunday buffet
- De Leeuwen Jagt Restaurant, On the Seidelberg wine estate, ☎ +27 21 863-5222.
- Rhebokskloof, ☎ +27 21 869-8386, fax: +27 21 869-8504, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Excellent food, excellent setting
- Terra Mare Restaurant, 90a Main Street, ☎ +27 21 863-4805, e-mail: email@example.com. Tu-Sa 9AM-late. Up market decor, art on walls for sale. Continental, gourmet food, choice of delicious starters, varied menu. Superb wine list. Olivier Jaeggi is a Swiss chef, who worked at the Bosmans of the Grand Roche. R45 to R120.
- Bosman's at the Grande Roche, Plantasie street, ☎ +27 21 863-2727, fax: +27 21 863-2220, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. One of the top 10 Restaurants in South Africa according to Wine Magazine.Supurb winelist
- Laborie Restaurant, Taillefer Street, ☎ +27 21 807-3095, fax: +27 21 807-3094, e-mail: email@example.com. Daily 9AM-4PM. Cape Provincial Cuisine and traditional foods
Wine and brandy. Visit any of the wine estates that offer wine tasting. Also see the Do section
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
|Mid-range||R500 to R1000|
- Klein Vredenburg Guest House, 155 Main Road, ☎ +27 21 872-9898, fax: +27 21 872-9898, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Single from R225.
- Klein Waterkloof (Behind Agter Paarl Church on the R44), ☎ +27 21 869-8950, e-mail: email@example.com. A smallholding among the vineyards with Cape Dutch cottage rooms. From R150 per person sharing.
- Belmonte Guesthouse (Antonella Wright), Upper Mill Street (Off Main road turn left after Mc Donalds,into Mill Street, carry on until Upper Mill Street,Up towards mountain until Belmonte Estate Gate.), ☎ +27 21 872-9055, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM.. On 8 hectares of ground, 4 star guesthouse, 7 well appointed bedrooms, with stunning views from private balconies. TV, airconditioners, swimming pool. Inclusive of breakfast. Lunches and dinners can be arranged at our excellent family restaurant. Personal attention to make stay most memorable. From R300 per person sharing.
- Berg River Resort, ☎ +27 21 863-1652, e-mail: email@example.com. Self catering chalets and caravan park on the Berg River Doubles from R365.
- Best Western Goedemoed Manor House, Cecilia Street (Near the city center.), ☎ +27 21 863-1102, fax: +27 21 863-1104, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Prices from R375pps.
- Mooi Bly wine & accommodation, Bo Dal road, Dal Josafat, ☎ +27 21 868-2808, e-mail: email@example.com. Five thatched cottages surrounded by vineyards, fully equipped, swimming pool, 10 minutes out of Town. From R350 to R175 per person sharing.
- Mountain Rest, ☎ +21 21 872-0451, fax: +27 21 886-5827, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. At the foot of the Du Toitskloof mountain, bordering Hawequa Nature reserve From R350 per cottage per night.
- Alba House, 16 Lille Street, Contrai, ☎ +27 21 863-0292, e-mail: email@example.com. Privately run B&B in upmarket residential area. Book with Ivana. R600pps.
- Cascade Country Manor, Waterval Road, ☎ +27 21 868-0227. Luxury Family Accommodation in the Olive Valley of the Cape winelands. Nine luxurious double rooms with views of the Waterfall and surrounding Orchards and Vineyards. Dinners showcase fresh local produce. Prices from R660pps.
- Pontac Manor, 16 Zion Street, ☎ +27 21 872-0445, fax: +27 21 872-0460, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Situated at the slopes of 'Paarl Rock'. This Victorian style hotel dates back from 1723 and has been beautifully restored. TV, air conditioning are available. From 715pps.
Paarl is in the center of the Cape Winelands, within proximity of the major town of Stellenbosch. It is also near Cape Town. You can reach all main attractions within 30 to 45 minutes (except the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Point).