Osceola County (Florida)
Osceola County is in Florida.
Commuter Rail - The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), in cooperation with local government officials in Orange, Seminole, Volusia and Osceola counties and the federal government, are currently working on a 61-mile commuter rail project, using existing Amtrak and CSX freight rail lines. The commuter rail line will roughly parallel Interstate 4, and is projected to start service in 2010.
LYNX - Public transportation by Central Florida Regional Transportation Authority. With the main hub centered on Orlando, bus service provided in Osceola, Orange, and Seminole Counties. Some buses link to neighboring counties. Service to Disney World is available.
State Road 60 runs east-west through the southern half of the county. S.R. 60 leads from the Tampa and Brandon areas in the west through Mulberry, Bartow, and Lake Wales after which it runs for 80 mi through rural areas before reaching Vero Beach on the East coast, also intersecting with the Florida's Turnpike halfway. About 20 mi east of Lake Wales, it is reduced to two lanes with occasional passing lanes and can be a little hectic between tailgaters and slow drivers (speed limit is 60 mph, but the average is a bit higher). The 25 mi between Yeehaw Junction and Interstate 95 has little traffic and a 65 mph speed limit. This offers a lower cost alternative to travelling on the Florida Turnpike between Yeehaw Junction and South Florida.
- Desert Inn and Restaurant, 5570 S Kenansville Road, Yeehaw Junction (At the intesection of SR 60 and US 441. Also at one of the exits for the Florida Turnpike). 8:30ish. The Desert Inn is an excellent stop for the traveller curious about central Florida. The food is nothing special, but the staff is friendly and talkative and the building itself has been a meeting point for local Floridians for over a century. Ask to see the museum upstairs, especially if the restaurant isn't busy. It is a motel as well, with rooms at $45. Also, don't pet the chickens.
- Orange County (Florida) - north
- Brevard County - northeast
- Indian River County (Florida) - east
- Okeechobee County (Florida) - southeast
- Highlands County (Florida) - south
- Polk County (Florida) - west
- Lake County (Florida) - northwest
- Treasure Coast - south/southeast