Ontario is in San Bernardino County and the Southern California region of California, more than 35 miles east of Los Angeles. From a traveler's perspective, Ontario is noteworthy mainly as the home of a large mall and the Ontario International Airport, a less crowded alternative to LAX and the main airport serving the Inland Empire.
LA/Ontario International Airport (IATA: ONT), is the area's regional airport for commercial flights serving the Inland Empire in the eastern part of the greater Los Angeles area and the adjacent desert locales. It is less busier and quieter than LAX. The airport is located 2 mi (3.2 km) east of Ontario's Business District off of I-10 at the "Archibald Ave/Ontario Airport" (Exit #55/55A) and the "Haven Ave" (Exit #56) exits. Currently there are only two terminals for commercial flights numbered 2 & 4:
- Terminal 1: The USO is in the (old) Terminal 1 building for military personnel transiting into or out of the area and the International arrivals terminal is in a separate building for Aeromexico & Volaris arrivals from Mexico. There is a free shuttle bus from the old terminal 1 and international arrivals to Terminal 2 & 4.
- Terminal 2: Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air (Gates 205 & 206), Aeromexico (Departures), Delta/Delta Connection (Gate 208), United/United Express (Gates 201-203), Volaris (Departures)
- Terminal 4: American Airlines (Gates 408 & 410) and Southwest (Gates 401-407)
- Car Rental Terminal ... located at 3450 E Airport Dr in the NE Corner of the airport grounds at E Airport Dr & N Haven. From Terminals 2 & 4 there is a frequent and free shuttle bus going over to the consolidated car rental terminal to pick up a rental car. If renting from Advantage, Payless, Fox or another 'off airport' company they send their shuttle to pick up customers at the consolidated car rental terminal instead of the airline terminals. For a better rate on car rentals it is best to shop around and reserve a car online or over the phone PRIOR to arrival. Having a private car is the BEST way to get around locally for going out to remote locales such as Joshua Tree.
Ontario is located along Interstate 10 (I-10), west of the Interstate 10 & 15 junction, approximately 37 mi east of Los Angeles (39 min), 24 mi (25 min) west of San Bernardino, 71 mi (1 hr) west of Palm Springs,and 114 mi (2hr 14min) northeast of San Diego (off of Interstate 15):
- From Los Angeles, simply take I-10 (San Bernardino Fwy) East (or west if coming from San Bernardino or Palm Springs). Ontario is accessed from exits #49 ("Central Ave") through #59 ("Etiwanda Ave") along I-10. Ontario does not have a clearly defined downtown except the closest thing would be the neighborhood NE of the intersection of N Euclid Ave & E Holt as that is where city hall and other city government function is located at. To get there, exit off at the N Euclid Ave (CA-83)/Upland off ramp at Exit 51 and go south along N Euclid Ave To E Holt. Likewise one can also go east on CA-Hwy 60 which goes along the south side of town. From CA-Hwy 60 (Pomona Fwy) Ontario is accessed from Exits #34 ("Mountain Ave") through Exit #41 ("Milliken Ave")
- From San Diego take I-15 North until CA-HWY 60 at exit 106 or the next one up at I-10 at Exit #109. Go west on CA-60 or I-10 to get to Ontario
Confusingly, Ontario has two train stations. Firstly, there's East Ontario station which is served daily by the Metrolink Riverside Line, connecting with Union Station in downtown Los Angeles. Then there's Ontario Amtrak which sees trains just three times a week, when the Sunset Limited between Los Angeles and New Orleans (with through-cars towards Chicago on the Texas Eagle) make a shot stop there.
- BoltBus, (bus stop) Carl's Jr @ 1625 E 4th St. (Parking lot between Carl's Jr and Teriyaki House, near E 4th & Baker.), toll-free: +1-877-BOLTBUS (2658287). Service from Las Vegas. $1 if lucky; up to $35.
The best way to get around Ontario is by car. Car rental agencies are located at the airport.
- Museum of History and Art, 225 South Euclid Ave (S Euclid Ave & E Transit St, One block north of Ontario Amtrak), ☎ +1 909 983-3198. W-Su noon-4PM.
- Ontario Mills Mall, 1 Mills Circle (NW of the I-10 & I-15 junction. Go north on Millikan Ave from I-10 or go west on 4th Ave from I-15), ☎ +1 909 947-1981. M-Sa 10AM-9PM, Su 10AM-8PM. One of the largest single-story malls on the West Coast, abundant in stores.
- Ayres Hotel and Suites - Ontario Convention Center, 1945 E. Holt Blvd., ☎ +1 909-390-7778. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 12PM. Ontario's Only Full Service Upscale Boutique Hotel - Offering complimentary full, hot breakfast; parking; wireless internet & shuttle service. In-room microwave and refrigerator.
- Best Western Country Inn, 2359 S Grove Ave, ☎ +1 909 923-1887, toll-free: +1 800 770-1887, fax: +1 909 923-4504.
- Best Western Innsuites Hotel & Suites Ontario, 3400 Shelby St, ☎ +1 909 466-9600, toll-free: +1 800 642-2617, fax: +1 909 941-1445.
- California Inn, 1150 North Grove Ave, ☎ +1 909 467-3788, fax: +1 909 983-1605, e-mail: CaliforniaInn@Gmail.com.
- Fairfield Inn Ontario, 3201 East Centrelake Dr, ☎ +1 909 390-9855, toll-free: +1 888 236-2427, fax: +1 909 390-9835. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 12PM.
- Ontario Airport Marriott, 2200 E Holt Blvd, ☎ +1 909 975-5000, toll-free: +1 800 284-8811, fax: +1 909 975-5050.
- Ramada Ontario Airport Hotel, 1841 East G St, ☎ +1 909-988-0602. Our Ontario, California hotel offers a convenient location, free wireless internet, complimentary breakfast, outdoor swimming pool and Jacuzzi suites.
- Red Roof Inn Ontario Airport, 1818 E. Holt Blvd (two blocks from Ontario Convention Center, at the entrance to the Ontario Airport), ☎ +1 909-988-8466. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Residence Inn Ontario Airport, 2025 Convention Center Way, ☎ +1 909 937-6788, toll-free: +1 800 331-3131, fax: +1 909 937-2462.
- Rodeway Inn Ontario Mills Mall, 4075 E. Guasti Rd, ☎ +1 909-390-8886. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. Offers recently renovated spacious rooms. Free high-speed wireless Internet access and free local calls, Pay-Per-View movies. In-room microwave and refrigerator.
- Sheraton Ontario Airport, 429 N Vineyard Ave, ☎ +1 909 937-8000.
- Holiday Inn Ontario (Ontario, CA Hotel), 2155 East Convention Center Way.
|Routes through Ontario|
|Los Angeles ← Pomona ←||W E||→ Palm Springs → Tucson|
|Los Angeles ← Upland ←||W E||→ Rancho Cucamonga → San Bernardino|
|Barstow ← Rancho Cucamonga ←||N S||→ Corona → San Diego|
|Los Angeles ← Chino ←||W E||→ Rubidoux → Riverside|