Olympos National Park
The major entrance to the park is the village of Litochoro.
Palaios Panteleimonas is a traditional village in the lower Olympus, in fact a completely separate and different mountain, though very close to Mount Olympus. The village is located at an altitude of 700 m with a magnificent view over the coast.
The main line of the Greek railway system that connects Athens with Thessaloniki passes through Katerini. Even the fast Intercity trains make a stop at Katerini railway station. You can catch a bus to Litochori from the nearby bus station. Keep in mind that Bus service does not operate on Sunday or holidays.
By foot or by donkey.
- The most common itinerary is the international hiking path E4: Litochoro, Prionia (1,100 m), Spileos Agapitos (2,100 m), Skala, Mytikas (2,917 m).
- The path "Barba - Kolokythia - Petrostrounga (1,700 m.) Skourta (2,485 m.) - Refuge Giosos Apostolidis - Mytikas" is less frequented but equally scenic.
There are 9 refuges where you can stay overnight for €15 per person per night. You can also camp.
- Christos Kakkalos Refuge, 2648m (Refuge G on map), ☎ +30 693 7361689 (Mobile). .
- Spilios Agapitos Refuge (Refuge A on map), ☎ +30 23520 81800, +30 23520 81329.
- Giosos Apostolidis Refuge, ☎ +30 2310 224710. Operates from June 15 to October 7. Sleeps 101 people and has an organized kitchen
- Dimitrios Boundolas Refuge (Stavros Refuge) (Refuge D on map).
- Koromilia Dion Refuge.
- Petrostrouga Refuge, ☎ +30 23520 83000. built at an altitude of 2000 m the refuge sleeps 80 people
- Vrysopoules Refuge (KEOAX Refuge) (Refuge B on map). On the south side of Mount Olympus at an altitude of 1800 m above Mavratza Gorge. Due to its location on military owned land it is necessary to contact the military base by calling: +30 24930 62163.