Old Forge (population 1580) is a formerly-incorporated village in the southwestern corner of Adirondack Park, serving as point of entry to the park from a large area of Central New York. An Adirondack ski resort known for its lake-effect snow, the tiny village holds one of the records for the lowest winter temperatures in New York, at -52 °F (-46 °C) on February 17, 1979.
A car would be the best way to get around, but there are scenic railroad rides and cruises for seeing the area in depth.
- Towns of Webb & Inlet Snowmobile Trail, 3140 State Route 28 (visitors' info centre). Network of groomed scenic trails open early December to April Fool's Day (weather permitting); permits available at visitor's info (+1-877-OLDFORGE) and other locations. Trails connect to the Central NY regional network. $45-80/snowmobile permit.
- Goodsell Museum, 2993 Main St, ☎ +1 315 369-3838. 10AM-3PM Tue-Sat. Local history museum in listed heritage house; various books and reprints of old maps for sale by the town's historical society.
- Enchanted Forest Water Safari, 3183 State Route 28, ☎ +1 315 369-6145. A major amusement park and water park destination in New York. Calypso's Cove Family Fun Center adjacent; the same company also operates an inn and a campground. $30/person.
- McCauley Mountain Ski Area, ☎ +1 315 369-3225. Alpine ski hill, Last Run Café (+1 315 369-2551, winter only) and ski shop (instruction, rentals) (+1 315 369-3144). McCauley Mountain offers a 633 foot vertical drop, 21 ski trails, one double chairlift, two T-bar and two rope tows. In summer, the chairlifts operate for sightseers daily (except Wed) 9:30AM-4:30PM mid-June to Labor Day and Fri-Sun until Columbus Day ($5/person, $4 for ages 6-16 and over 65, children age 5 and under free.)
- Shelter Adirondack Furniture, 3109 State Route 28, ☎ +1 315 369-5014, fax: +1 315 369-4465. Excellent custom Adirondack furniture, antiques and souvenirs. The classic wooden, locally hand-made Adirondack chair is about $140.
- Mountainman Outdoor Gear, 2839 NY State Route 28, ☎ +1 315 369-2300. Outdoors clothing and equipment, paddlesports shop (+1 315 369-6672). Moose River trips and boat rentals operate from Clark Avenue (+1 315 369-6670) and there's another set of locations in Saratoga Springs.
- Adirondack Dog House, 3169 Route 28. Hot dog stand, next to Water Safari.
- Adirondack Pizzeria, 3105 State Route 28, ☎ +1 315 369-6028. Pizzeria and arcade, wings, finger food, salads and submarines.
- Daikers, 161 Daikers Circle, ☎ +1 315 369-6954. 12PM-9PM (restaurant), bar closes 2AM, reduced hours/closed Tuesdays off-season. Restaurant with bar, finger food, pizza and live music. Fish fry 5PM-9PM every Friday.
- Tony Harper's Pizza & Clam Shack, 3062 Main St, ☎ +1 315 369-3777. 11AM-10PM daily, midnight on weekends.
- Slickers Adirondack Tavern, 3132 State Route 28, ☎ +1 315 369-3002. Pizza, burgers, sandwiches, soups, frozen mixed drinks.
- The Fulton House, 200 Fulton House Way, ☎ +1 315 360-6496. Family owned and operated, five cottages for weekly rental, overlooking scenic 4th lake.
- North Woods Inn & Resort, 4920 NY 28 (Fourth Lake, Old Forge), ☎ +1 315 369-6777. Accommodation, fine and casual dining, tap room, boat slips, rentals, weddings and events
- Old Forge Library, 220 Crosby Blvd, ☎ +1 315 369-6008. Special Adirondack collection, 24/7 wi-fi, used books for sale, free programs.
|Routes through Old Forge|
|Oneonta ← Herkimer ←||S E||→ Warrensburg → END|