Ogunquit possesses a decent sized gay and lesbian population. There is a concentrated area of restaurants and shops near the intersection of Main Street and Shore Road, and access to the beach is nearby. The town's sidewalks (where they exist) are packed with tourists on weekends during the summer.
Ogunquit has much to offer in terms of fresh seafood, fine dining and romantic restaurants, ice cream joints, beaches and an array of boutiques and shops. You can find the standard tourist-y items as well as high quality art work, jewelry clothes and some shops that offer unique local shells and products.
Summer nights bring a bustling excitement to downtown Ogunquit and the trolleys are an enjoyable and convenient form of transportation throughout the day.
- Portland International Jetport (Portland, ME).
- Manchester Airport (Manchester, NH).
- Pease International Tradeport (Portsmouth, NH). Served only by two airlines: Allegiant Air, Phone: +1-800-432-3810; or Pan Am Clipper Connection, Phone: 1-800-359-7262.
- Logan International Airport (Boston, MA).
From Boston's North Station and Portland, Amtrak provides service on the "Downeaster" to the town of Wells, just north of Ogunquit. Seniors get a half-fare rate by entering the code V543 when ordering online, or requesting it from the agent.
There is no intercity bus service direct to Ogunquit, however you can take the train to Wells, and then take the local trolley to Ogunquit. At the Wells / Ogunquit line, you have to board another trolley (Ogunquit Trolley Company) to travel along Route 1 into Ogunquit center.
- C & J Trailways. Provide limo/bus service from Boston's Logan International Airport to their Portsmouth, NH terminal.
- Greyhound. Has service to Portland.
Interstate 95 is the direct route from Boston (1.25 hours) and other east coast cities. When coming from the south, take Maine Exit 7 to Route 1 North for access to Ogunquit and The Yorks.
Interstate 95 throughout Maine and New Hampshire can experience major traffic jams from tourists traveling between the Boston metro area and vacation areas in the north. Using an EZ Pass or compatible transponder will avoid waiting in line at toll booths on 95. Using a GPS navigation system that can route you around traffic jams could also save a considerable amount of time, if you are not familiar with the area.
Route 1 is a viable coastal alternative to 95, and is also more scenic. Shore Road is even more coastal, connecting with Route 1 further south.
During the tourist season, Ogunquit experiences major traffic jams on Route 1 (Main Street) and Shore Road, centered around the intersection of the two roads. Public parking is in high demand and be quite expensive ($25/day). See the Town of Ogunquit website for a map of available parking lots and rates. If driving, it is advisable to carpool if applicable, and determine where you would like to park in advance. Most overnight accommodations, like inns and resorts, provide their own free lots. Obed's Lot on Cottage Street requires advanced payment, which can be inconvenient if you do not know how long you wish to park, but which does allow you to leave without waiting in an exit line (unlike the main Beach Lot).
Taking the Ogunquit Trolley between your parking lot and destinations of interest can be cost effective. Paid dedicated motorcycle parking is available in the main Beach Lot, and is underused compared to automobile parking. Taking public transit or parking outside of town and bicycling in would also avoid traffic hassles.
Ogunquit is said to be the most walkable community in Maine. Walkers, runners and bikers are always on the sidewalks and roads and downtown Ogunquit, Perkins Cove and the beach are always filled with pedestrians. If you are staying locally, there is no great need to travel within Ogunquit with a car.
- The Ogunquit Trolley, ☎ +1 207 646-1411. Operates all along Route 1, Shore Road and to the beach. Very useful. Listen for the approaching bell. Trolley stops are marked by signs with the picture of a trolley and a bench on the sidewalk.
- Ogunquit Playhouse, Route 1, ☎ +1 207 646-5511. Summer stock theatre.
- Ogunquit Museum of American Art, Shore Rd, ☎ +1 207 646-4909.
- Scenic walk at Marginal Way. A beautiful one mile path along the seashore ending at Perkins Cove. This popular walkway has plenty of opportunities to rest and enjoy the views on benches and is a great trail for couples and families. More than 100,000 people walk the Marginal Way every year. Dogs are not allowed April through September.
- Ogunquit Beach. Voted "Best Beach Town in New England" by Yankee Magazine. Hourly parking. Surfboard and boogie board rentals.
- Finestkind Scenic Cruises, ☎ +1 207 646-5227, fax: +1 207 363-3320. Barnacle Billy's at Perkin's Cove. May-Oct. Scenic lobster, lighthouse, sailing and cocktail cruises.
- Bunny Clark Deep Sea Fishing, Perkins Cove, ☎ +1 207 646-2214. Half and Full Day Trips.
- Ugly Anne - Deep Sea Fishing, Perkins Cove, ☎ +1 207 646-7202. Half & Full Day Trips.
Long a town of art galleries, there is plenty to see while browsing in Perkins Cove or in Ogunquit Village center. Nearby Kittery, 20 minutes south, has over 120 outlet stores.
- Animal Instinct, 232 Main St, ☎ +1 207 646-7728. Animal Instinct is a small but packed store full of games, toys and stuffed animals for children of all ages.
- Books Ink, 15 Shore Road, downtown Ogunquit, ☎ +1 207 641-8580. hours are seasonal. What a surprise-- tucked in among a row of standard souvenir shops is this bookstore, which is almost worth the trip if you have a bright kid just for the amazing collection of recreational math books and wonderful K-12 kids educational math and science books, though there are gems in every section (i.e. Winnie the Pooh in Latin in the language section, etc)
- Z Name Shop, 1 Beach St, ☎ +1 207 646-4990. Located directly in downtown, this shop is a great place for tourists to find souvenirs.
- 98 Provence, 262 Shore Rd, ☎ +1 207 646-9898.
- Amore Breakfast, 178 Shore Rd, ☎ +1 207 646-6661. The setting for the mystery novel "Morning Glory" written by Bernadette Carson.
- Angelina's Ristorante, 655 Main St, ☎ +1 207 646-0545.
- Arrows, Berwick Rd, ☎ +1 207 361-1100. Voted one of America's top 50 restaurants by Gourmet Magazine. Set in an 18th century farmhourse, overlooking flower, herb and vegetable gardens.
- Barnacle Billy's, Perkins Cove, ☎ +1 207 646-5575.
- BeachFire Bar & Grille, 658 Main St (Rte 1), ☎ +1 207 646-8998. Footbridge Village, live music, great food, two bars and outdoor firepit.
- Bessie's, 8 Shore Rd, ☎ +1 207 646-0888. Family friendly old fashioned home cooking right in the center of town. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner & Bar daily year round.
- Bintliffs, 335 Main St, ☎ +1 207 646-3111. Chef owned and operated. Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily.
- Blue Star Grille, 355 Main St, ☎ +1 207 641-2200.
- Blue Water Inn & Restaurant, 111 Beach St, ☎ +1 207 646-5559.
- Blue Willow Restaurant, Perkins Cove, ☎ +1 207 646-3331.
- Breaking New Grounds. A cafe at the end of Perkins Cove. Sit and drink your coffee whle enjoying a spectacular view.
- Captain's Daughter Internet Cafe, 48 Beach St, ☎ +1 207 646-7071.
- Charlie's Restaurant, Beach St, ☎ +1 207 646-8280.
- Cove Café Perkins Cove, ☎ +1 207 646-2422.
- Five-O Shore Road, 50 Shore Rd, ☎ +1 207 646-5001. Fine dining. $25-$35.
- Gypsy Sweethearts, 30 Shore Rd, ☎ +1 207 646-7021. Imaginative offerings and great desserts. $17-$30.
- Harbor Candy Shop, 248 Main St, ☎ +1 207 646-8078. Exquisite selections of a large variety of candy and chocolates, Harbor Candy Shop is a must for all with a sweet tooth. Some homemade treats you can expect to find are fudge, cordials, taffy and chocolate covered marshmallows.
- Jackie's Too, Perkins Cove, ☎ +1 207 646-4444. Right at the shore.
- Jonathan's, 92 Bournes Ln, ☎ +1 207 646-4777. Fine dining. $18-$26.
- Katie's on Shore Road, 261 Shore Rd, ☎ +1 207 641-2780.
- MC Perkins Cove, Perkins Cove, ☎ +1 207 646-6263. Daily lunch, dinner in an upscale casual setting with great views. Offers a raw bar, lounge, two bars, two beautiful dining rooms, and a private dining room. $24-$34.
- Oarweed Restaurant and Lobster Pound, Perkins Cove, ☎ +1 207 646-4022.
- Old Village Inn, 250 Main St, ☎ +1 207 646-7088.
- Ogunquit Lobster Pound, 504 Main St, ☎ +1 207 646-2516. This Ogunquit institution serves more lobsters in a week than many restaurants do in a lifetime. You can choose to personally select your own live lobster for your dinner. You can either eat inside the restaurant or outside on picnic tables. For desserts, they feature a delicious chocolate lava cake a la mode. The parking lot is shared with The Egg & I, which is across the street.
- Roberto's Italian Cuisine, 82-84 Shore Rd, ☎ +1 207 646-8130.
- Vinny's East Coast Grille, 696 Main St, ☎ +1 207 646-5115. Italian. $12-$22.
- West Meadow Pub at the Meadowmere Resort, 74 Main St, toll-free: +1 800-633-8718. Pub fare in season, live entertainment every Saturday
- Yum Mee Restaurant, 705 Main St, ☎ +1 207 641-8788. Chinese.
- The Egg & I, Route 1, ☎ +1 207 646-8777. Breakfast. Located on one of Ogunquit's main roads, this moderate-sized, family oriented pancake and waffle house is easily accessible. They offer breakfast, lunch and a kids' menu. $7-$12 per person. Accept only cash and traveler's checks. Parking is shared with Ogunquit Lobster Pound across the street. Lines form quickly so go early.
- Bread and Roses (Bakery in Ogunquit), 246 Main St, ☎ +1 207 646-4227. Excellent selection of dessert-type baked goods, and gourmet and regular coffee.
- The Front Porch, 9 Shore Rd. (Main Street at Shore Road - Village Center), ☎ +1207646-4005. 4PM-10PM. Comfortable dining room with fireplace. Attached bar lounge also offers food. Fresh, local seafood and steaks. $24.
- BeachFire Bar & Grille, 658 Main St (Rte 1), ☎ +1 207 646-8998. Footbridge Village, live music, great food, two bars and outdoor firepit. Live Music on weekends and huge firepit.
- Maine Street, 195 Main St, ☎ +1 207 646-5101. Full bar with bar food menu and dancing. LGBT crowd. Very small amount of parking in front.
- The Front Porch, 9 Shore Rd, ☎ +1 207 646-4005. Piano bar upstairs attracts a large LGBT crowd.
- Katie's on Shore Road, 261 Shore Rd, ☎ +1 207 641-2780. Very close to the Ogunquit Playhouse.
Ogunquit has a very large number of places to stay.
- The Admiral's Inn, 87 Main St, ☎ +1 207 646-7093. Just one block to the entrance of the Marginal Way and two blocks to the village centre. Two pools, two hot tubs, fire pit, gym, spa, lounge and pub.
- Colonial Village Resort, 548 Main St, ☎ +1 207 646-2794, toll-free: +1-800-422-3341. One mile away from downtown. The resort offers one large outdoor pool, a small indoor pool and hot tub, tennis court and small arcade. Tide-permitting, guests can walk or use the resort's rowboats to cross the tidal river to get to Ogunquit Beach.
- The Dolphin Den, 69 Cottage St, ☎ +1 207 646-5639. Ogunquit Center, welcomes DOGS (call first!) and is located next to a public park in the town's center. Private entrances to all suites. Short walk to the Marginal Way and Ogunquit Beach.
- The Dunes on the Waterfront, 518 Main St, ☎ +1 207 646-2612, toll-free: +1 888-243-8637. Situated on 12 secluded and beautifully landscaped acres, this is only 300 Yards from Ogunquit Beach. Apr - Oct.
- Footbridge Beach Motel, 668 Main St (at Ocean St), ☎ +1 207 646-2796. On trolley route, 3 minute walk to beach.
- The Meadowmere Ogunquit Resort & Hotel, 74 Main St, toll-free: +1-800-633-8718. Resort rooms and suites near Ogunquit center, tons of amenities, walking distance to beach.
- Ogunquit Beach Inn, 67 School St, ☎ +1 207 646-1112, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Gay owned B&B. All private baths. Village Centre, walk to beach, Marginal Way and nightlife.
- Ogunquit Resort Motel, 719 Main St, ☎ +1 207 646-8336. Ogunquit's largest pool, giant outdoor hot tub and exercise room. Rooms with CCTV, AC, Mini Fridges. Kids stay free, free local calls, free continental breakfast, free HBO.
- The Cliff House Resort & Spa, Shore Rd, ☎ +1 207 361-1000. Please be advised the Cliff House is about three miles from the village center, and not located in the town of Ogunquit
- The Grand Hotel, 276 Shore Rd, toll-free: +1-800-806-1231. Two room suites near Perkins Cove, Microwave, refrigerator.
|Routes through Ogunquit|
|Portland ← Wells ←||N S||→ York → Portsmouth|