Off-roading in California

California OHV areas map


There are many off-road vehicle opportunities in California, but first you must make sure that your vehicle is registered. All vehicles operated on public lands in California must be registered, either with a street-legal registration or a off-highway vehicle registration. Registered off-highway vehicles receive either a red sticker or a green sticker, with red sticker vehicles only allowed to operate October 1 to May 31.

Many dirt roads are open to registered OHVs, but there are a few exceptions. For example, dirt roads in Death Valley National Park are open only to street-legal vehicles. Also, in many National Forests, some "maintained" dirt roads require street-legal registration and a license. Always check before-hand.

Helmets, of course, are required, and other safety equipment, such as proper clothing, boots, and sunglasses are recommended.


Places to Ride

Northern California

Prairie City State Vehicular Recreation Area: Prairie City is a great park specifically for using off-road vehicles. They have numerous trails and tracks for karts, ATV, Moto Cross, rock crawling and trucks.

[] 13300 White Rock Road Rancho Cordova CA (916) 985-8521 Park Hours March 8 am - 6 pm April 8 am - 7 pm May- Aug 8 am - 8 pm Sept 8 am - 7 pm Oct 8 am - 6 pm Nov-Feb 8 am - 5 pm Closed Wednesdays

Central California

Southern California

This article is issued from Wikivoyage - version of the Saturday, March 12, 2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.