Nuenen is a name of Frankish origin. The village was established between the fifth and eighth century. Axes and urns found in 1863 and 1915 confirmed that a Germanic tribe must have been lived in the territory of the present municipality. During recent excavations objects from the Urnfield period (8th century) were found. The civil municipality of Nuenen is founded around 1300 AD. The combined municipality of Nuenen, Gerwen en Nederwetten exists since 1821.
The world famous painter Vincent van Gogh lived and worked in Nuenen from December 5, 1883 to November 24, 1885. Here he created his famous painting The Potato Eaters and hundreds of other paintings and drawings.
The old core of the village Nuenen is formed by a triangular square, called De Berg, which continues to a larger triangular park, Het Park. The latter was built in the nineteenth century, one finds here a music stand, a monument to Vincent van Gogh and a monument that commemorates the Sisters of Charity. This part of Nuenen is a protected village.
- VVV Nuenen Tourist Office, Berg 6, ☎ +31 40 283 96 15, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tue - Sun 10 AM – 5 PM. The Tourist Office is located in the Vincentre, the Vincent van Gogh centre.
Bus number 121 and 122 leave from Eindhoven central bus terminal to Nuenen. Bus 22 drives between Eindhoven and Helmond via Nuenen.
Nuenen is a small town. You can easily go around by feet or better you hire a bike.
- Opwettense watermolen. A watermill in the Kleine Dommel (river), whose history dates back to the eleventh century. The present buildings date from 1743. The interior, including a cramming for pressing linseed, is still present. The miller's house is from the 17th or 18th century. This undershot mill has the largest waterwheel of North Brabant, with a diameter of 9.30 meter. Vincent van Gogh painted this mill repeatedly.
- Van Goghkerkje (Van Gogh Church). This is a Waterstaatskerk (Reformed Church) from 1824. The church is particularly picturesque as it is located with the green Park in the background. Theo van Gogh (pastor), the father of Vincent van Gogh, preached here. This church is named after Vincent van Gogh as he repeatedly painted it. Currently it is used for special ceremonies and cultural events.
- Vincent van Gogh Documentation Centre. This permanent exhibition is since 1976 housed in the restored carriage house near the town hall. Although Nuenen possesses no work of Van Gogh, enough memories can be found during the period the artist lived here. A new museum called Vincentre is open since 2010.
- Old Town Hall Beekstraat, dated 1734, restored in 1986, is now a gallery.
- Van Gogh-Roosegaarde cycle path. Glow-in-the-dark cycle path inspired by Van Gogh's painting Starry Night. The cycle path is part of the Van Gogh Cycle Route.
- Dierenrijk, Baroniehei (road Nuenen to Geldrop), ☎ +31 49 266 82 40, e-mail: email@example.com. all days 10am-5pm. In summer 10am-6pm. An educational zoo specially for children with elephants, monkeys, bears, lions, tigers, birds etc… €16,50.
- Outdoor Museum, Berg 29 (Vincentre), ☎ +31 40 283 96 15, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A unique feature of Nuenen and the surroundings is that it can be viewed as an Outdoor Museum with many reminders of Van Gogh. The Outdoor Museum comprises no fewer than 21 locations, all of which have a direct bearing on Vincent's two year stay in Nuenen. Of these 21 objects, 14 were painted or drawn by Vincent on one or more occasion. The other 7 locations were not painted but were mostly the houses where his models lived. Information columns have been installed at 17 of these locations with audio commentary (in English too).
- Family Biking, Rullen 7, Gerwen, ☎ +31 40 283 58 86. Make a trip on a four wheel family bike (max 4 persons) in the surroundings of Nuenen. €10 per hour or €18 for 2 hours..
- Sheep farm Adriaans, Doolstraat 7, ☎ +31 40 284 12 02, e-mail: email@example.com. The flock comprises more than 1500 sheep and is therefore one of the largest in the Netherlands. Apart from lamb viewing days the sheep farm is also open by appointment for groups of minimum 10 people. This is the perfect place for excursions, company outings and family days.
- Blauwe Bessencultuur Van Grotel (Blueberries), Vorsterdijk 16A, ☎ +31 40 284 27 03. Various products made of blueberry.
- De Zonnewende, Park 63, ☎ +31 40 284 00 60, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Dishes are influenced by the seasons
- Messina, Vincent Van Goghstraat 90, ☎ +31 40 283 36 56, e-mail: email@example.com. Italian
- Pezzaz, Beekstraat 2, ☎ +31 40 291 27 25, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. International
- Café Schafrath, Park 35, ☎ +31 40 283 17 41, e-mail: email@example.com.
- Café René, Parkstraat 3, ☎ +31 40 283 87 77, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Auberge Vincent, Park 69, ☎ +31 40 290 63 90, e-mail: email@example.com.
- Boordhuys, ☎ +31 6 5 315 38 64, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nuenen is a safe place to visit, crime records are low and violent crime is almost unheard of. Bike theft is an annoying crime that happens quite often though, so always make sure your bike is locked.