Noto was once situated on Mount Alveria but destroyed by an earthquake in Val di Noto in 1693 and was rebuilt in another site in Baroque style.
The train station appears to be unmanned at least some of the time with no automated ticket machines. Rather unreasonably, this is not seen as an excuse not to have a ticket - a note in Italian only informs you that they must be purchased from the garage in Via Gaetano Salvemini, a good ten minutes walk away.
Some of the services listed on the station timetable are actually bus services, so check for the little picture of a bus.
Noto is a world heritage site and billed as the most attractive of the Baroque towns in south east Sicily. In reality its a bit of a disappointment. Most of the significant buildings are closed and being restored (or not). It feels like there is not enough money available to bring Noto back to what it once was.
- Cathedral of Noto. The Basilica stands on the summit of a magnificent staircase consisting in three flights of steps dating back to the eighteenth century but restored at the beginning of the nineteenth century. The facade is closed off by two imposing bell towers and it is topped by two late eighteenth-century statues
- Via Nicolaci Infiorata of Noto. Exhibition which attracts thousands of tourists every year, the third Sunday of May. A street covered with splendid mosaics made with flower petals, in a corner dream. The event was founded twenty-eight years ago, this new painting technique allows teachers infioratori to make a flowered carpet along the way Nicolaci
Local specialties include marmelades, jams, honeys, biscotti, and granite.
- Caffè Sicilia Corso Vittorio Emanuele,125 Closed on Mondays (except August and holidays)
- Trattoria del Crocifisso, Via Principe Umberto, 48, ☎ +39 0931 571151. Very good small restaurant of famiglia Baglieri. Very honest prices.
- Neas Ristorante, Via Rocco Pirri, 30, ☎ +39 0931 573538. Nice restaurant and outdoor serving in little courtyard. Local seafood.
- B&B Geranio Vacanze.
- Not Sicily B&B.
- Macrina B&B - Friendly proprietor (though not English-speaking) with good sized rooms a pleasant garden to have breakfast in.
- Sicily Villa Rental. Sea front holiday home in Marzamemi, nearby Noto. Old warehouse 10 meters from the sea, it can accommodate up to 17 guests. Weekly rentals available.
- A Lumia, SS115, 2KM west from Noto, ☎ +39 388 1944339.