Northern Michigan should not be confused with the Upper Peninsula. Although a bit inaccurate, the term "Northern Michigan" is used to refer to only the northern portion of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan... the "fingers" of that mitten-shaped body of land.
Northern Michigan is popular for its outdoor recreation opportunities, including Michigan's premiere ski slopes, hunting, fishing, golf courses, and beaches.
- Grand Traverse Bay Area - the pinky and ring finger
- Mackinac Area - the tip of the middle finger
- Northeastern Michigan - the index finger
- Alpena-- Home of Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary and Underwater Preserve
- Bay Harbor - Luxurious Destination situated on five miles of Lake Michigan shoreline
- Charlevoix -- Charming coastal city with vast waterfront and unique homes
- Harbor Springs -- Home to two ski resorts, Nub's Nob, and Boyne Highlands
- Mackinaw City -- Less expensive, modern alternative to staying on Mackinac Island
- Reed City
- Traverse City -- Home of the National Cherry Festival - Traverse City Film Festival
- Bay Harbor
- Beaver Island
- Mackinac Island -- Car-free location of the world-famous Grand Hotel
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
- Houghton Lake
E Company Electric vehicles and scooter rentals.. 642 Railroad Place, corner 8th & Woodmere. 231-947-1277. Reduce your carbon footprint by touring Traverse City area in environment-friendly vehicles. Its eco-logical! Fuel provided. Vespa scooters available for hourly half-day and daily rental. Zapino electric scooters available for daily rentals. Electric vehicles (NVs) available for daily, weekly and long-term rentals. Reservations recommended Electric vehicles or Scooters. E Company Electric vehicle and scooter rentals. E Company Ecocars Rentals
- The Mackinac Bridge - known as the "Mighty Mac" or (against the wishes of a certain burger merchant) "Big Mac", is a suspension bridge spanning the Straits of Mackinac to connect the non-contiguous Upper and Lower Peninsulas of Michigan.
- Fort Michilimackinac - Founded in 1715 as a French fur-trading village and military outpost, Michilimackinac was later occupied by the British who abandoned it in 1780 to establish a new fort on Mackinac Island. What you see today on this site is a reconstruction of how the fortified village appeared in the 1770s, based on evidence gathered during the nation's longest archaeological excavation.
- The Northern Michigan area is home to some of the best skiing in the Midwest including Nub's Nob Ski Resort, Boyne Highlands and Boyne Mountain. All of these ski resorts are located around the Petoskey/Harbor Springs/Boyne Falls area.
- Fred's Cosmic Bowling and Restaurant. Restaurant, Bowling, Bar, Catering and Party Hall. 989-275-6565.
Station Espresso Bar proudly brewing Starbucks Coffee for a decade. Corner 8th & Woodmere, Traverse City. (231) 932-0320. Station Espresso BAR Open 7 days. Monday through Wednesday from 7am until 5pm; Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 7am until 9pm; Sunday 9am until 3pm. Visa Mastercard accepted. Free Wifi, fireplace, outdoor seating, HDTV.