Northern Hungary is a region of Hungary. As a region it includes the counties Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén, Heves and Nógrád
- Aggtelek — beautiful caves with dripstones and stalagmites, part of UNESCO World Heritage List
- Eger — famous for its baroque buildings, castle and wines, especially Bull's Blood (Bikavér)
- Mezőkövesd — Spa with hot mineral water
- Miskolc — with the unique cave bath in Miskolc-Tapolca, the third largest city in the coutry, located near the Bükk hills
- Gyöngyös - City of vines
- Hollókő — a beautiful old preserved village, part of UNESCO World Heritage List
- Lillafüred - Palace Hotel with forest train, park and lake - surrounded by romantic hills
- Rétság — a small village, very good jumping point to the municipality sights
- Salgótarján — a modern mining town situated in the hills with two castle ruins
- Tokaj — a famous wine town producing high quality white wines
- Aggtelek National Park — include a superb karst complex, part of UNESCO World Heritage List
- Szépasszonyvölgy — a great valley for wine tasting in Eger
- Tokaj-Hegyalja — interesting wine region, part of UNESCO World Heritage List
- Great Milic Nature Park
- Rakaca Reservoir
You should try to take the Intercity trains, they're much cleaner than regular and international trains, they don't stop at every small town and a seat is reserved for you. Intercity trains are a bit more expensive and it's better to reserve your seat days before the travel, because they are usually full.
North Hungarian Mountains
- Bükk (Bükk or Bükk hegység – literally Beech Mountains) (You can get in on road No. 25. from Eger. You can enter on the M3 Highway from Miskolc. Or, if you come from Slovakia, you can choose Road No. 27. and Road E96.). — a section of the Carpathian Mountain range. Located in counties of Heves and Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén. There are some interesting caves:- Prehistoric Cave, Istállóskő Mountain; - Szent Anna Cave, Lillafüred; - Szent István Cave, Lillafüred. - Do: You can tour on the paths in the forests.
- Börzsöny (Hungarian: Börzsöny, literally: Logwood), thanks for good location one of the most popular resort place for Budapesters
- Gödöllő Hills (Hungarian: Gödöllői-dombság) part of Pest Hills
- Cserhát (Hungarian: Cserhát - literally "Turkey Oak Back", where "Cser" is Turkey Oak and "hát" is back). include Hollókő, an UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Karancs-Medves area(Slovakian: Mučínska vrchovina). Near to Salgótarján
- Matra (Mátra) (Located between the towns Gyöngyös and Eger. From Budapest turn off from main road at Gyöngyös and drive toward north. By public transport maybe the easiest way take a direct bus to Kékestető). — include Kékestető the highest peak of Hungary (1014m a.s.l.), a popular winter sports resort.
- Zemplén Mountains (Zempléni-hegység) - is spotted with castle(s)/ruins
- Tokaj Mountains (Tokaji-hegység) - A very famus wine region. And also member of the UNESCO World Heritage Site List
- Bodrogkeresztúr. Bodrogzug, Jewish cemetery with Miracle-working rabbi's grave. - Visit the Hungarian Motor Museum. For more info: Water and cycling tourism information center. Tours to Tokaj-Bodrogzug Landscape Protection Area (Tokaj-Bodrogzug Tájvédelmi Körzet)
- Boldogkőváralja (52 km northeast of Miskolc). Castle of Boldogkő (with exhibits of archaeological, military history, tin soldier, coat of arms and flag, prison and torture, chamber, smithy numismatic, mineral, statue); - Country House (Tájház) include Collections about: Local History, Presentation of the Zemplén Mountains natural values, Use tools, Blacksmithing; - Péchy-Zichy castle with an ancient Landscape Park (Kossuth Lajos u. 2), visited after prior agreement. Visit and taste at Bestillo Palinka House (Bestillo Pálinkaház) ; onion form helmeted Roman Catholic Church in Baroque style; Greek Orthodox Church in 1766 with icons. - Sleep: Three guesthouses, a Pansion, and a tourist house provides accommodation.
- Bodrogolaszi (6km to Sárospatak). Romanesque Catholic church, Lónyay Mansion. To do: Wine Tasting at Fedor Joseph's Winery
- Boldva (From Miskolc 15 km N). Sights: Reformed Church and the ruins of the monastery, built in the 12th century. It had been built in romanesque style, in basilica form with 3 naves and 2 towers at the eastern sied of the building, Castle of the Szathmáry family,(19th century), Roman Catholic Church (1838-39), Houses with porch, Szathmary Garden, Village Museum with four collections
- Dédestapolcsány (From Miskolc approx. 30 km north-west). Dédes Castle ruins and Lázbérc Reservoir Protected Area in the Uppony Mountains, extends between Uppony and Dédestapolcsány villages. Free to visit; - Serényi Castle (1903, eclectic style), - House of Crockery collection (Cserépedény-gyűjtemény). - Take a tour in Damasa ravine, 170 m deep, even summer some snow could be see here.
- Edelény (N 25 km of Miskolc). Palace of L'Huillier-Coburg, Borsod motte, earths fortress (Borsodi földvár), Sacred Heart of Jesus Roman Catholic Church (Jézus Szíve római katolikus templom ). Roman Catholic Church of Finke (Finkei római katolikus templom) , Borsodi Reformed Church, Fink-Downtown Presbyterian Church, Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Church (Szent Kereszt görög katolikus templom)
- Fáj (NE 50 km of Miskolc). Palace of Fáy an U-shaped, 'cour d'honneur' form mansion with mansard roof
- Füzér (NW 25 km of Sátoraljaújhely, a couple daily bus from there). Castle. Open: From 15 Mar-25 Oct, ie during the summer: 9:00 to 18:00. From Oct 26 - 14 Mar, ie during the winter season: 10:00-15:00. - Sleep one of the dozen guesthouses (Vendégház)
- Füzérradvány (NW 15 km of Sátoraljaújhely , a couple daily bus from there). Palace of Károlyi (Károlyi Vadászkastély) and its Arboretum fee: €3, Tu-Su 10.00-18.00 (2014). - Sleep.
- Gönc (NE 65 km of Miskolc). Sights in the village: Hussite house, Palffy Palace, Gaspar Karolyi statue of the Protestant church garden, Old Jewish Cemetery, Karolyi Gaspar Museum, Bible Exhibition in addition to the Reformed Church. Sights in outskirts: Paulines monastery ruins, Ruins of Amadé's Fort
- Karcsa (90 km NE of Miskolc, Sárospatak only 22 km). Reformed, Árpád-era church, - Romanesque building, - that monument of national importance.
- Karos (SE 15 km of Sátoraljaújhely, E 16 km of Sárospatak.). Conquest era cemetery a historical site, part of the Conquest Medieval archaeological park
- Kelemér (51 km NW of Miskolc). Lakes of Mohos, Reformed Church (14th century), Tompa Mihály's House, Folk architecture
- Kisrozvágy (NW 25 km of Kisvárda, halfway toward Sátoraljaújhely). Open-air museum about the Conquest era, Protestant church in 1796 with coffered ceiling
- Mád (10 km of Szerencs). Historic Synagogue and the Old Jewish Cemetery, Malonyay house, Rákóczi-Aspremont castle, Hegyalja Savings Bank building, Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church, Reformed Church, Chapel, Wine cellars
- Mezőcsát (35 km of Miskolc). two country houses (more than hundred years old), Reformed Church with coffered ceiling.
- Olaszliszka (Near to Sárospatak). Synagogue and Jewish Cemetery; Assumption Roman Catholic church (built in 1332, Gothic-style, rebuilt in the 19th century, Baroque style); Stone Bridge; Kossuth Memorial House; Reformed Church (built between 1784 and 1787); The "Traktér" (a five hundred year old building, originally was the Terebesi Pauline monks monastery, later a residence of the royal tithe picker in 17th century, the royal residence, the 18th century, post office and inn); Eastern Europe Modern Gallery and the International Sculpture Park, Historical and Ethnographic Image Gallery.
- Ózd (Ouz) (40 km NW of Miskolc). Former Casino (neo-Renaissance style, 1884); City museum, Technical outdoor open-air museum;Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church (1891-1893); St. Simon and St. Jude's Roman Catholic Church in Szentsimon settlement, (13th-century, Romanesque, rebuilt in 14-15th century, Gothic); Queen of the Rosary Church and Parish; Immaculate Conception Church (Gothic, 15th-century, partly 19th, 20th century) St. John the Baptist Church (Hodoscsépány); Protection of Mother of God Greek Orthodox Church (2000); Lutheran Church (1902, Neo-Gothic); Reformed Church (1905).
- Pácin (96 km E of Miskolc). Has a state border.- Sight: Palace of Magochy (16th-century)
- Rakaca (67 km N of Miskolc). Reservoir, anglers paradise and Greek Catholic pilgrimage site.
- Regéc (64 km NE of Miskolc). Castle ruin, Roman Catholic Church (1904) , Greek Catholic Church (1956).
- Répáshuta (Slovak Répášska Huta) (20 km from Miskolc). Balla Cave, Rejtek Nature Trails. Passed by the Countrywide Blue Tour
- Sajószentpéter (13 km from Miskolc). Reformed Church (14th century), Gedeon family mansion, Country House, Roman Catholic Church (Kossuth u.22), Greek Catholic Church (Vörösmarty u. 12), Outdoor mining museum.
- Sátoraljaújhely (Hungarian pronunciation: [ˈʃaːtorɒjːɒ.uːjhɛj]; German Neustadt am Zeltberg; Slovak Nové Mesto pod Šiatrom; Yiddish: איהעל (Ihel) or אוהעלי (Uhely)) (82 km E from Miskolc). Main Sights: Historical downtown (with an atmosphere of 19th-century towns); (Main) Roman Catholic parish church (Széchenyi István tér 10. Founded in 1482, rebuilt in 1860, extended in 1910) and Comitatus Fountain (at the town square); Wine Church, (the only known church in Hungary not owned by any denomination, as it was used to store wine in past centuries); Ferenc Kazinczy Mausoleum; Ferenc Kazinczy Museum; Waldbott-villa (Kossuth Lajos tér 8); Baroque town hall, (a Renaissance building of the former Zemplén comitatus where Ferenc Kazinczy worked); Tomb of Rabbi Moses Teitelbaum; Magas-mountain chairlift - Hungary's longest cable car; Ungvár's cellars, since 2002 part of World Heritage list
- Szalonna (50 km N from Miskolc). Arpad Era Painted Church (13th century)
- Szendrő (40 km N of Miskolc, trains and buses from there). Castles (Lower, Bebek, German) remains, lot of biking, walking tour depart or passed, Blue Painter's House Museum, School History Exhibition, Szendrői Cave
- Szerencs (30 km E from Miskolc). Rákóczi Castle (built on the ruins of a Benedictine Abbey, in 1550s); Roman Catholic Church (built in baroque style in 1774); Calvinist Church (built in Gothic style at the end of the 13th century); Greek Catholic Church (Ondi Street, built in 1700's), Sugar Museum, Postcard Museum, Toy Museum, Town Bath.
- Szomolya (12 km from Mezőkövesd). - Beehive Stone, Caveflats
- Szögliget (60 km N of Miskolc). Castle of Szádvár remains (2 km away), Derenk village ruins, A monument to Catholic church, István Duber County House (Petofi street); former Vice Admiral Miklós Horthy unified hunting area center (Szelcepuszta); Ménes Lake (outdoor sports facilities); Rejtek-zsomboly (Rejtek Cave) since 1995 part of World Heritage list, Quarries in the village outskirts, Derenk's chariot road between Szögliget and Körtvélyes.
- Tarcal (trains from Hatvan, Miskolc, Szerencs, Sátoraljaújhely, Nyíregyháza). Palace of Tarcal, Kengyel-Lake, Roman Catholic chapel (17th century, late baroque style). St. Theresa's Chapel (18th century, Baroque style). Synagoge (around 1800). Reformed Church (Late Baroque style, 1797). Roman Catholic parish church (Gothic, 15th century). Mine lake, Királyudvár winery
- Taktabáj (Báj) (Near to Tokaj). Reformed Church (built between 1782-1784, rococo); Former PalacePatay (now a school); Avar archaeological sites.
- Tállya (45 km E of Miskolc.). Roman Catholic Church (Baroque, Gothic partially); Reformed Church (Baroque, 1753); Lutheran Church (late Baroque); Castle Ruins; Rákóczi mansion (17th century); Maillot Castle (1720); Central European Art Collection (the castle Maillot); Balogh Mansion (Louis XVI style, late 18th century, private property); Post House (18th century, the village post office operates since 1567); Encsy collection (minerals, fossils, prehistoric artifacts); Mailloth Palace, 'Center of Europe' (Phoenix) sculpture (indicated by the geometric center of Europe) , part of Tokaj wine region World Heritage,
- Tornaszentandrás (30 km N from Edelény). Take a tour in Esztramos Mount, Explore Rakoczi Caves (No.1 and 2.) part of World Heritage list
- Vilyvitány (N from Sátoraljaújhely). Calvary hill, Reformed Church, Ősrög Nature Trail, St. Anne's Church
- Vizsoly (55 km NE of Miskolc). Gothic Reformed Church, St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Parish Church (1799). Greek Catholic Church (1901). Granary (Baroque style, the second half of the 18th century). Quarry (a geological exhibitory place). Hernád (a serpentine river, offers bathing, rafting, kayaking, fishing)
- Átány (8 km from Heves). Crock-house, which shows the population of the village's recent life as a country house
- Eger. Main sights: Dobo Square and the Castle of Eger, Eger Basilica, Archbishop's Palace, Eger minaret, Esterhazy Karoly College or Liceum, Bishop's Garden, Valley of the Beautiful Women
- Gyöngyös and area. Orczy castle and landscape park, Matra Smallgauge Train, Lake Saint Anne, Mud Mountain, Kékestető
- Szilvásvárad and area. Erdődy-Pallavicini Palace, Lipizzaner stud of Szilvásvárad, Veil Water Falls, Szalajka Creek Valley, Forest Railway of Szilvásvárad and Cave of Istállóskő
- Belapatfalva (Bélapátfalva). Cistercian Abbey Church (Romanesque style)
- Egerszalok. a Heat water source, Egerszalók-Lake
- Erdotelek (Erdőtelek). Butler Mansion and Arboretum, Alder marshes of Erdőtelek
- Feldebro (Feldebrő). Romanesque lower church with crypt, in 11th century
- Felsotarkany (Felsőtárkány). State Forest Railway and Lake of Felsőtárkány
- Hatvan. Grassalkovich Palace
- Kisnána. Castle ruins
- Matraderecske (Mátraderecske). Castle Kanázs
- Matrafured (Mátrafüred). Kozmáry Lookout, Reed lake
- Noszvaj. De la Motte Palace
- Parad (Parád). the park of the Spa, Helena Valley Falls
- Recsk. National Memorial Park, Horse chestnut row
- Sirok. Castle
- Szarvaskő. Castle ruin
- Bánk (Slovak: Banka) (East of Rétság take a bus from there). Bánki Lake, a small lake. - Slovak National Village Museum. - Evangelical Late Baroque Church. - Events:Lake festivals.- Stay: around a dozen small pensions, guesthouses and a three star hotel waiting you. Read more: Rétság#Further_afield
- Bátonyterenye (Buses and trains to/from Hatvan and Salgótarján). Paloc Country House (19th-century folk style building with local history collection), Maconkai Roman Catholic church, (14th century, Romanesque style); Gyürky-Solymossy Castle (1790) and Castle Park; Kisterenye's Roman Catholic Church (1736); Szúpatak's Lutheran Church (1903), Puszta's Church remnants (1277); Arany (Gold) Hill's (Bronze Age urn cemetery) excavation also with the Rákóczi castle remnants
- Buják (Pásztó 30 km). Buják's Castle ruins, Calvary Hill and St. Anne's Chapel (circa 1800), Kesely meadow, The Roman Catholic Church, Bujáki folk costumes, Sasbérc lookout, Sandstone Cave, Alpine-style HHunting Lodge - inexpensive but excellent accommodation in beautiful surroundings. Egidius-source
- Csesztve (Bus from Balassagyarmat). Madách Mansion and Park
- Diósjenő (Daily six seven direct bus, twenty min from Rétság or train from Vác to Diósjenő). Sights: Roman Catholic church and Cemetery: built in the 15th century in Gothic style; rebuilt in 1788-89 in Baroque and Neoclassical style. - Protestant church: built around 1850 in late Neoclassical style. - Five bridges on the Jenő stream. - Sváb Mansion, The ornamented building of a Diósjenő landowner, was built in 1906 in the Romantic and Eclectic styles. - Cellars and wine press houses. - Börzsönyi Nature Conservation Area, the flora of its contents Orchids, Irises, Ferns, and many others. Birdwatchers can find here: Imperial Eagles, Thrushes, Black Storks. Also can see here Lizards, Fire salamanders. Mammals are represented by Red deer, Wild-boar, Roe-Deer, Hare (Hu:Börzsönyi Tájvédelmi Körzet.), - Gideon Nagy's tomb, He was a dean of the Reformed pastor in the mid 19th century. He and his wife buried here in a black marble tomb, surrounded by wrought-iron fence. His high school friend was Petofi Sandor, a freedom fighter, Hungarian poet. As an Army officer, fought in the 1848-1849's War of Independence.(Hu: Nagy Gedeon síremléke. Loc:Reformed cemetery garden. Phone:+36 35 364351), - Diósjenői Lake nature protection area, the 28 hectares Jenői Lake exists since primeval times. The lake is a known touristic site with beautiful landscape. The southern shore is bordered by a pine forest. (Hu:Diósjenői-tó tájvédelmi körzet. Loc:two km southeast of Diósjenő), - Zsibak-well is very deep. The spring water has iron content. - To Do: Line fishing at Jenői Lake, The watercourse is sandy silt with no rocks. Fishing is permitted only from a pier. Carp, pike, catfish are the most common fishes in the lake. - Read more: Rétság#Further_afield
- Drégelypalánk (Between Balassagyarmat and Vác. Take a train from either). Sights: the Roman Catholic church from the late Baroque period (~1734) with its relics of Saint Elizabeth (Hu:Barokk templom. Loc:Petőfi Sándor utca), - the baroque chapel of St. Vendel (1857) (Hu: Szent Vendel kápolna), - the sarcophagus of Szondi György in the established in 1988 (Hu:Szondi-szarkofág. Loc: Szondi Park), - the ruins of the castle of Drégely (Hu:drégelyi vár. Loc:five km from the village toward Nagyoroszi, perching on 444m high vulcanic cone), - Szondi Showroom, local historical collection can be seee here about the the siege at the castle Drégely in 1552, and items of the brave captain of castle, György Szondi life (Hu:Szondi emlék-kiállítás és Pajta. Loc: Fő út 22. Phone:+36 35 567070. Free of charge.). - Hont precipice and ravine valley,-five km west of Drégelypalánk,-The valley is surrounded by 20-25m deep ravines. The riverbank of the primeval Ipoly-river preserves the millions years-old fossil
- Horpács (Bus from Rétság. - Balassagyarmat approx. 15 km south-west.). Szontágh Mansion and Park
- Ipolytarnóc (Szlovak: Ipeľský Trnovec) (Bus from Salgótarján, train from Balassagyarmat, Aszód). Fossils Nature Reserve - paleontological exhibition; Roman Catholic Church; St. Ann cemetery chapel; Bory mansion.
- Karancsság (NW of Salgótarján). Catholic Church
- Mátraverebély (Bus from Bátonyterenye, also train too from Hatvan, Salgótarján). Catholic church (Gothic); Szentkút's Catholic Church and St. Mary's Shrine, hermit caves
- Mohora (From Balassagyarmat South 10 km, trains buses to Aszód, Balassagyarmat). Vay Zichy Palace; Mauks Mansion (Mikszath-memorial place) and the tree of Mikszath; Tolnay Klári's former house and its museum; Mohora's marsh
- Nógrád (Russian: Новгород, Novgorod-Ugorsky;[German: Neuburg; Slovak: Novohrad) (South of Diósjenő. Between Balassagyarmat and Vác. Take a train from either. Daily five six direct bus, half hour from Rétság.). Dripping-Source, the spring is flowing out from a pipe embedded into a wall of carved stones. - Margit-spring a natural monument, the spring has a front wall covered with concrete, with the inscription: Margit-Spring and the year: 1964. Popular among local people as it yields clear and healthy drinking water. - Nógrád castle, environment: this is the most famous historical site of Nógrád county. The hill of the castle came into being 15-19 million years ago during the volcanism forming the Börzsöny-mountains. - A river bridge pillar, a portion of the gate and a decorated with red marble plaque of Nicholas Bathory (1483) dug out from rock ditch in front of the entrance to the inner castle. - Nógrád Game Park, features all game species that can be hunted in the Börzsöny mountains. - Folk House, local historical collection , here visible furniture and use objects, his clothes of the local Slovak community from the early 1900s - St.-István-Memorial wooden column. - Memorial of 1848's Freedom fight. A column beautifully put together using huge stones with a "turul" bird on the top and writing at the front that says "1848-1948." - Saint Florian memorial. A colorful statue of St. Florian in a tile covered wooden platform. An old fire engine of the local firemen's association stands next to it. - II. World War Memorial, a stone statue on a pedestal with a "turul" bird on top. - Conquest monument, a tall wooden column with a falcon on its top grabbing a deer; the midpart of the column is decorated with portraits of the tribal chiefs who brought the Hungarians to the Carpathian basin. Next to the column is a yurt-like wooden building covered with reed. - Parish Church, "Mária Mennybemenetele" Parish Church was built in 1757. - Evangelical Church - Calvary chapel, set in picturesque surroundings, beautifully small chapel with colored turret and a cross on top. - To Do: enjoy the Long-distance trail the 'Countrywide Blue Trail' pass the village. Read more: Rétság#Further_afield
- Nőtincs (Slovak: Netejč, German: Nititsch) (limited public bus service from Rétság. Located 51km north of Budapest near the European route E77, from Budapest after Szendehely first eastward detour. Nőtincs is seated at the border of Cserhát and Börzsöny hills.). Gurcsány Szcitovoszky Castle park, a nature conservation area, a two hectares garden surrounding the Mansion has been delcared protected in order to preserve the old trees and the English Park character.- Nőtincs Lake, a nature conservation area. An artificial forty hectares lake was dammed up in the picturesque Lókos creek valley. The area became protected in order to preserve the fauna and flora settled here. Line fishing. - Gyurcsányi-Scitovszky Mansion, is a one-story L-shaped Neo Classical mansion. It is a wide and divided entablature and an amusement park was built in the style of mansions of nobility in the middle of the village in 1809. - Roman Catholic Church, was built in the Gothic style in 1415 on the outskirts of the village, in 1720, rebuilt in Baroque style. The church is staying on a small hill, the main entrance opening from the pop-up tower. - Seholsziget Theme Park, a zoo, forest park, nature protection area, accommodation and horse riding available here, - St. John of Nepomuk and St. Amalia chapel Read more: Rétság#Further_afield
- Ősagárd (Slovak: Agárd) (In Nógrád county, a couplekm est of Nőtincs village. Bus connected with Rétság). Sinkár-brook valley, a geological ruptures in the valley of the Sinkár-brook reveal very ancient layers of Triassic rockplates. - Zsömle-cave is a geological rarity of the cave is a hole having a globular shape, which came into being during a dissolution by thermal waters over 200 million years ago. Nine other, smaller caves can be found in the surrounding of the cave. - Village house, local historical and ethnographical collection. - Evangelical Church, Built in Late Baroque style. Read more: Rétság#Further_afield
- Pásztó (from Hatvan or Salgótarján take bus or train, bus also from Gyöngyös, Szécsény). Paszto Monument City Centre, Catholic Church, Cistercian monasteries and ruins, Pásztói Reservoir, Castle of Cserter Museum
- Romhány (Bus from Rétság 10 km, Salgótarján and Budapest 70 km). Rákóczi memorial tree, Prónay Castle (18th century, Baroque), Stone bridge with three openings (18th century) , Roman Catholic Church (19th century, Neo-classical), Former Laszkári mansion, Turkish hazelnuts tree (a protected natural site), Turul Memorial, Romhányi battle monument. - Passed the Countrywide Blue Tour
- Szécsény (Bus and train from Balassagyarmat). Castle district, Forgách Palace ( Francis Kubinyi Museum , Tu-Th: 10:00-16:00, F-Su: 10:00-18:00, Monday: closed, HUF 1000, (2014) ), the Franciscan Monastery (Baroque, Tu-Sa 10:00-16:00, HUF 500), Roman Catholic Church (Gothic), Benczúr Castle, Fire Tower (early 18th century,Tu-Su 10:00-18:00, HUF 400 ), Parliament Place of Szécsény (Borjúpást), Sandor Pinter Memorial Room, Handicraftsman’s House with a Tourinform office
- Szente (Bus from Rétság). Doll Exhibition, XIII. century in the Roman Catholic Church (13th century), Palóc houses
- Szanda (Zunda) (Bus from Balassagyarmat). Castle of Szanda ruins, Castle Hill, Palóc houses, Country House, Mary's Chapel
- Tar (Bus from Pásztó). St. Michael's Roman Catholic Church (Romanesque-Gothic style), Buddhist stupa (former Gaal homestead ), Lawrence of Tar fortified manor house. Tuzson Arboretum - The approx. 4 hectares , installed around 1898.
- Tereske (Bus from Balassagyarmat, Vác). Catholic church (Gothic).
- Hollókő Landscape Protection Area (Hollókői Tájvédelmi Körzet) (See at 'Hollókő'). 141 hectares. The Hollókői castle with the old village since 1987, the UNESCO World Heritage list can be found. The surrounding area is under nature protection. The Bükki National Park designated around a castle - 'Castle Tour Path' that presents the cultural and natural values of the area. Take a walk or a bike. The Path marked with green and there are twenty three guide plates. Also part of its six museums and exhibition halls.
- Karancs Medves Landscape Protection Area (Karancs-Medves Tájvédelmi Körzet) (From Salgótarján NE 5-10 km). This is part of Bükk National Park. Location: administrative border of Bárna, Karancsalja, Karancsberény, Karancslapujtő, Kazár, Mátraszele, Salgótarján és Somoskőújfalu settlements. The marked trails on foot can be visited freely. By bike outside on the roads only with a separate signed roads free to travel There are over 100 separate basalt areas. The most spectacular formations can be viewed on the Szilváskő (so called 'Cathedral organ whistles'). Landscape Protection Area's coat of arms plant: Silene coronaria (or commonly rose campion). Europe's largest beetle can be see here: the Giant Stag beetle. A special geological value of the area the 'Pétervására Sandstone Formation'. Nature conservation demonstration sites and nature trails: Somoskő settlement area; Rock garden of Magyarbánya (outdoor show); Petofi promenade (between Somoskő and Eresztvény ); Bird Park (in Eresztvény's public park); Colliery memorial tunnel; Salgo (medieval castle ruin on a 625 m high basalt cone); Kis Salgo (Witch's Rock, a volcanic basalt formation), Quarries of Eresztvény; Szilváskő's nature trail to lookout tower at the peak of Mt. Karancs - More info: Nógrádi landscape Service - 3100, Karancs Road 78. phone / fax: +36 32 413-255; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tours, Walks, Treks
- Unlimited options see above at North Hungarian Mountains
- Turkish bath in the Hospital of Francis Markhot, Eger (Markhot Ferenc Kórház Törökfürdő) (Heves County).
- Carbon dioxide gas's Spa Bath of Mátraderecske (Mátraderecskei Széndioxid Gyógygázfürdő) (Heves County).
- The tap water all area potable.