The Northern Cape can be divided into the following regions:
| Diamond Fields |
Eastern edge of the Northern Cape
| Karoo |
The south eastern region
| Namakwa |
The west coast and bordering onto the Western Cape
| Green Kalahari |
In the north, bordering on Namibia and Botswana
| Kalahari |
North eastern region
- Ai-Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
- Augrabies Falls National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Namaqua National Park
- Tankwa Karoo National Park
- Mokala National Park - Newest park in South Africa, replaces the old Vaalbos National Park.
Other nature reserves
- Goegap Nature Reserve
- Oorlogskloof Nature Reserve
- Spitskop Nature Reserve
- Tswalu Desert Reserve
- Thuru Lodge (Private nature reserve)
- Witsand Nature Reserve
Originally the Northern Cape was part of what used to be known as the Cape Province. However, after the 1994 elections the old provincial boundaries were redrawn, and the Cape Province was split into the Northern Cape, the Western Cape and the Eastern Cape Provinces.
The Northern Cape is a dry and sparsely populated region, and much of it is semi-desert. Nevertheless, it has a beauty of its own and is a popular destination for South African and international tourists alike.
The Northern Cape Province is served by a number of excellent national roads.
- The N1 runs from Cape Town to Gauteng via the south-eastern edge of the Northern Cape and Bloemfontein.
- The N7 runs from Cape Town and the Western Cape, goes through Springbok and then on up north to Namibia.
- The N8 runs from near Upington across through Kimberley and Bloemfontein, and then goes on to Maseru Bridge (border post to Lesotho).
- The N10 runs from the Namibia border down through Upington and then on to Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape.
- The N12 runs from George in the Western Cape to Gauteng, going via Kimberley.
- The N14 runs from Springbok to Upington and then on to Johannesburg and Pretoria in Gauteng.
- The historic diamond mining town of Kimberley with its world-famous Big Hole as well as many other attractions.
- The Augrabies Falls near Upington
- The Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park at the border to Botswana
- Wildthing Adventures, Orange River, Richtersveld, South African / Namibian border (Follow the N7 from Cape Town North toward Springbok, North of Springbok is the border post Vioolsdrift on the Orange River.), ☎ +27 21 556-1917. 9AM-5PM. Come for the experience of a lifetime on a 4 day and 4 night fully catered wilderness experience. Come and enjoy our 5 star bush cuisine while sleeping under the stars and enjoying the beautiful Richtersveld scenery from the comfort of your canoe or camping chair. Our profesional and qualified guides will make sure to give you the experience of a lifetime. Children from the age of 8 yrs to pensioners of 75 yrs welcome! R2395pp Adults.
- Rock Climbing