The Northeast Kingdom is the northeastern portion of Vermont, just south of Canada. It is highly forested and sparsely populated and is like Vermont as it was in 1950. Here is the best chance for hearing an authentic Vermont accent.
- NEK Border with Canada - including Derby Line
- Peacham Village
Interstate 91 runs north to south through the Kingdom, connecting with other major roadways throughout New England and Quebec in Canada. Distances to Major Cities: Burlington, VT (2 hours); Montreal (2 hours); Manchester, NH (2.5 hours); Boston (3 hours); Albany (4 hours); Portland (4 hours); and New York City (6 hours).
Major airports that serve the region include Burlington, VT; Montreal; Manchester, NH; Boston and Albany. The Kingdom has three state airports: Caledonia County State Airport in Lyndonville; Newport State Airport in Newport/Coventry and John H. Boylan State Airport in Island Pond. All welcome light private and business aircraft.
A car is a must for getting around the Northeast Kingdom, but many of the town centers are compact enough to be explored on foot.
- Fall Foliage. September to early October. The Northeast Kingdom has some of the most spectacular foliage in Vermont.
Hiking: With so many trails and mountains, hiking is a must when visiting the Northeast Kingdom.
- Jay Peak Resort: Jay Peak is the northernmost ski area in Vermont and is popular with Canadians and locals. It has recently undergone a huge expansion adding two new hotels, a golf course, spa, hockey rink, and indoor water park.
- Burke Mountain: Owned by the same company as Jay Peak the Burke Mountain ski area is minutes away from the Kingdom's major towns and offers skiing for any level of skier or rider. It has been announced that the mountain is also in next few years is going to go through a major expansion involving three hotels and many more recreational facilities. Currently, on the upper level of the base lodge the Tamarack Grill operates serving food and drink to the public. The mountain also offers a disount pass for a combined season pass with Jay Peak.
- Alice's Table: 4850 Route 242, Jay 802-327-2323. Farm to table restaurant located at Jay Peak Resort.
- Browns Market Bistro: 1261 Scott Hwy., Groton 802-584-4124.
- The Foundry Pub & Grill: 830 Jay Peak Rd., Jay 802-327-2500. Pub located at Jay Peak Resort.
- The Parker Pie Co.: 161 County Rd., West Glover 802-525-3366. Pizza place featuring local ingredients
- River Garden Cafe, 427 Route 114, East Burke, ☎ +1 802 626-3514.
- Tastings Food & Spirits, 66 Main St., North Troy, ☎ +1 802 988-4063.
- Jay Village Inn & Restaurant, 1078 Route 242, Jay, ☎ +1 802 988-2306.