North Valley is the northern region of the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles. It is made up of the neighborhoods of Arleta, Granada Hills, Lakeview Terrace, Mission Hills, Northridge, North Hills, Pacoima, Panorama City, Sun Valley, Sunland, Sylmar, Tujunga, and the city of San Fernando.
North Hills is mainly residential but has a few sites of minor note including the Sepulveda Unitarian-Universalist Society (nicknamed 'The Onion' for its appearance) and Bull Creek (where the motorcycle chase scene in Terminator 2 was filmed). North Hills has a deserved reputation as one of the Valley's major gang hotspots. Although generally safe during the day, exercise caution in this area at night.
The 405 Freeway runs north-south through North Hills. Exits in North Hills are on Roscoe and Nordhoff.
Northridge has a Metrolink Station at 8775 Wilbur Ave. Service is Monday-Friday on the Ventura County Line.
- Mission San Fernando Rey de España, 15151 San Fernando Mission Blvd (on San Fernando Mission Blvd between Interstates 5 and 405), ☎ +1 818 361-0186. 9AM-4:30PM. Founded in 1797 by Fermin Lasuen, this historic complex has a church and museum and is the 17th of California's 21 Spanish Missions. One of the few missions established after there had been significant development in the region. The Convento building (built in 1822) is apparently the largest adobe structure in California. Following a 1971 earthquake, the mission was restored in 1974. Bob Hope is buried in the memorial garden next to the church, and in the adjacent cemetery are buried Richie Valens and many other Hollywood celebrities who were Catholic. $4.
- The Nethercutt Collection, 15151 Bledsoe St., ☎ +1 818 364-6464. 9AM-4:30PM. The Nethercutt Collection is best known as an automotive museum (one of the five best in the United States according to Autoweek), but it also has collections of mechanical musical instruments and antique furniture, as well as two older-model railroad cars. Free.
- Theodore Payne Foundation for Wild Flowers and Native Plants, ☎ +1 818 768-1802. The non-profit organization is the largest nursery devoted exclusively to California native plants in Los Angeles County, with more than 500 native species and a seed store with more than 500 species available. The organization operates an annual wildflower hotline by phone (818-768-3533) and website that lists wildflower sites throughout California. It also hosts an annual Fall Festival with speakers, exhibits and a plant sale. The organization also organizes an annual garden tour that features home gardens that are 50% or more native throughout the Los Angeles Basin.
- Sepulveda Unitarian Universalist Society (The Onion), 9550 Haskell Ave. North Hills, CA 91343, ☎ +1 818-894-9251. Local landmark from the 1960s. Many events are held here from many different cultural and religious traditions.
- Bull Creek (around the intersection with Hayvenhurst and Plummer). Where the motorcycle and semi truck chase scenes from Terminator 2 where filmed. The flood canal is not open to the public but can be viewed from sidewalks.
- California State University Northridge, 18111 Nordhoff St. The sprawling campus with its art galleries, botanical gardens, much-filmed library (Sky High, Star Trek, etc.), and one of the last remaining orange groves in the Valley.
- Northridge Fashion Center, 9301 Tampa Ave. A large indoor shopping mall anchored by Sears, Macy's, and JC Penney. There are also many businesses around it including Borders Books, Best Buy, Guitar Center, and Kmart.
- Earth 2 Comics, 8967 Reseda Blvd, ☎ +1 818 993-7804. Comic book/collectibles store.
- Orphaned CDs, 8830 Reseda Blvd, ☎ +1 818 709-9100. Used CDs
- Tommy's, 15745 Roscoe Blvd, North Hills. 24 Hours. Popular chain of SoCal fast food joints known for their Chili-Cheese Burgers and Chili-Cheese Fries. Open 24 Hours.
- Pollo Campero, 9000 Sepulveda Blvd, North Hills. Popular Latin American fast food chain featuring chicken, yuca fries, beans, and plantains.
- Cupid's Hot Dogs, 9039 Lindley Ave.. Popular hot dog stand since the 1960s.
- Galleria Market, 10201 Reseda Blvd, ☎ +1 818-772-5755. A really nice Korean market that has a food court with many delicious foods to choose from.
- India Sweets & Spices, 18110 Parthenia St., ☎ +1 818 407-1498. Vegetarian Indian, authentic Indian market and café.
- In N Out Burger, 9858 Balboa Blvd. Famous chain of Southern California burger drive-ins. Open to 1AM (1:30AM on Fridays and Saturdays).
- Kyoto sushi, 18531 Devonshire St. Delicious sushi. They have all you can eat for around $25 too. Try the house special roll and tempura roll.
- Shik Do Rak, 18434 Devonshire St, ☎ +1 818-832-7080. M-Su 11AM-10PM. A delicious and fun Korean BBQ place.
- Italia bakery and deli, 11134 Balboa Blvd, ☎ +1 818-360-2913. A cute little Italian deli with some of the best sausage sandwiches around.
- The Pizza Cookery, 10371 Balboa Blvd, ☎ +1 818-363-7705. Try the garlic rolls! Vegan, Vegetarian, and gluten-free menus are available.
- The Bear Pit, 10825 Sepulveda Blvd, ☎ +1 818 365-2509. Delicious BBQ, tater tots and garlic toast.
- Norwood, 16200 Nordhoff St, North Hills, ☎ +1 818 891-6511. Slightly upscale neighborhood lounge with karaoke and live music on some nights.
- Witches Brew Cocktail Lounge, 16151 Parthenia St, North Hills, ☎ +1 818 892-1480. M-Su 6AM-2AM. Neighborhood bar that is witch-themed.
Sepulveda Boulevard in North Hills is lined with cheap motels. Most of them used to cater to prostitution and drug activity but claim to have cleaned up. You should stay at them with low expectations.
|Routes through North Valley|
|Sacramento ← Valencia ←||N S||→ Burbank → Downtown L.A.|
|Ends at ←||W E||→ La Cañada Flintridge → Pasadena|
|Merge with ←||N S||→ Van Nuys → West L.A.|
|Ventura ← Chatsworth ←||W E||→ Ends at|
|END ←||N S||→ North Hollywood → Downtown L.A. via|