Noarootsi is a settlement area of Estonian Swedes who arrived to the coastal areas and islands of Estonia in the 13th century. Swedes lived there until in 1939, when the Soviet Union's army bases were brought to Estonia and Noarootsi became a border zone. Most of the Swedes then left Estonia and were replaced by war refugees from Ida-Viru county and Ingria.
A new era in Noarootsi's colourful history started at the end of 1980 when the border zone disappeared and the local residents could return to their homes. In 1988 the first folk day celebrations were organised.
- Lyckholm Museum and Saare Manor, Saare küla. The museum is situated in the stables of Saare manor. It was restored in 1995 and gives you an overview of the history of Noarootsi. It focuses on Estonian first independence period between 1918 and 1940.
Noarootsi is a good place for hiking, sailing, hunting, wind surfing, bird watching and for people interested in Soviet military and Swedish history.
- Nõva, beautiful village with untouched pine forests and clean beach
- Haapsalu, major seaside resort town