The Town of Newmarket is located centrally in the Region of York in Ontario. It is located halfway between Toronto and Barrie along Highway 11/Yonge Street. The surrounding towns include Aurora (south), Bradford (northwest), East Gwillimbury (north), Schomberg (west), and Uxbridge (east).
Currently recorded population of Newmarket is 77,518.
Newmarket covers ~38 square kilometres and is approximately bound by St. John's Sideroad (south), Bathurst Street (west), Green Lane (north), and Leslie (east).
There are two major highways serving Newmarket- Highway 400 to the west of the town and Highway 404 to the east.
From North or South, take Highway 400 to Exit 55 (Davis Drive) and drive about 7 km east.
From the South only, take Highway 404 north. Newmarket is accessible from the last 3 exits: Mulock Dr., Davis Dr., and Green Lane. Turn West from any of these exits.
Davis Drive is the main east-west business road in Newmarket.
- Toronto Pearson International Airport - approximately 1 hour drive from the town of Newmarket, all major airlines service this airport.
- Holland Landing Airport - private airport located approximately 5km north of Newmarket.
By public transit
- viva - York Region's Rapid Transit System - bus system spanning multiple towns connecting to Toronto and the TTC
- York Region Transit - bus system in/around Newmarket
- GO Transit - bus/train system connecting to downtown Toronto and uptown Toronto
Newmarket has two GO Train stations on the north-south line between Union Station in Toronto and Barrie. Stations are located at the Tannery on Davis Drive/Main Street and Green Lane/Main Street North in East Gwillimbury. Trains run weekdays between approximately 06:00 and 07:45. Travel time is approximately 1 hour from Green Lane GO Station to Union Station in downtown Toronto.
- . Uxbridge Ontario
- Fairy Lake A large park in the middle of town, this is home to many festivals and fairs, including the annual Shakespeare-In-The-Park put on by a local group called the Resurgence Theatre Company. Locals flock to Fairy Lake on nice days, and even on the not-so-nice days.
- Nokiidaa Trail System A section of this trail system runs through the heart of Newmarket. This trail is excellent for hiking or biking. The trail system follows the Holland river which at one time was home to a historic plan to build a canal system. Although never operational, the locks that were being built can still be seen at various points along the trail system . Listed below are some maps of sections of the trail system:
- Heritage Buildings A number of buildings in Newmarket have been designated as Heritage Sites. These sites have plaques to designate when they were constructed and the purpose the building originally served. Many of these sites are close to Main Street. The attached link provides a summary of the heritage buildings in Newmarket.
North of Upper Canada Mall along Yonge St, some popular big-box stores now exist. These include:
- Best Buy
- Home Depot
In the South end at Yonge and Mulock is the Weston Produce Plaza. Stores include:
- Fabricland - decorating needs for all the rooms in your house
- Nature's Emporium - health food store
- Mandarin - Chinese restaurant featuring a buffet
- Eyephoria Optique - unique optical boutique with small town service and low prices
- Wild Bird Unlimited - bird seed, food and accessories
- Abode - furniture and home decor
- B.U.T. cosmetics - jewelery and accessories for your everyday needs
- Wine Kitz - make your own wine
- Dollar Store - inexpensive items on sale
Little Caesars Pizza, located on Leslie St. north of Davis Dr.
- Sneakers Sports Bar & Grill - north of Upper Canada Mall on Yonge Street
- Newmarket Motel - north of Newmarket on Highway 11
- Comfort Inn. Near Davis Drive at Highway 404)
- Voyageur Inn (Best Western). Near Davis Drive & Highway 9
|Routes through Newmarket|
|END ← East Gwillimbury ←||N S||→ Aurora → Toronto|
|Barrie ← East Gwillimbury ←||N S||→ Aurora → Toronto|