New Paltz is exit 18 on the New York State Thruway which is also designated as Interstate 87.
There is frequent bus service between The Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York City and New Paltz with connections to many other villages and cities.
Stewart International Airport is the nearest major airport to New Paltz. It is in Newburgh, thirty minutes to the south (exit 17 on the NYS Thruway).
Rail Travel to New York City: Nearby Poughkeepsie is the end of the line for Metro-North Rail. Poughkeepsie is a 15-20 minute drive east of New Paltz. Taxis are available in Poughkeepsie to transport travelers to and from New Paltz. Riding on Metro-North out of the Poughkeepsie Station is clean, safe and reliable. Trains run from very early in the morning until late into the evening. Fares can run as low as $12.75 each way.
As of July 2008 there is a bus you can take that picks you up at the Poughkeepsie train station and stops in New Paltz . It is run by the Ulster County Area Transit . View the bus schedule here: Bus schedule (pdf format)
- Huguenot Street. Oldest Street in American with its original houses.
- Mohonk Mountain House. National Historic Site.
- State University of New York at New Paltz.
- Climb rocks, On Shawangunk Ridge.
- Hike, at Sky Top, Breakneck Ridge, Wallkill Valley Rail Trail, Eagle Cliff and Mohonk Lake Trail, or one of the other nearby trails.
- Go wine tasting, at Robibero Family Vineyards, Adair Vineyards, Rivendell Winery, Whitecliff Vineyard & Winery, or one of the other nearby Wineries/Vineyards.
- Skydive, at Skydive the Ranch in Gardiner (just a few minutes outside New Paltz).
- Window shop, through the town.
- Gilded Otter, 3 Main Street New Paltz, NY 12561, ☎ +1 845 256-1700.
- Bacchus, 4 South Chestnut Street, New Paltz, NY 12561, ☎ +1 845 255-8636.
- Gomen Kudasai, 232 Main Street, New Paltz, NY 12561, ☎ +1 845-255-8811. Traditional Japanese food. *Not* sushi. Mostly Noodles (Udon, Soba). Very "special diet" friendly.
- P&G's, 91 Main Street, New Paltz, NY 12561, ☎ +1 845 255-6161.
- McGillicuddy's, 84 Main Street, New Paltz, NY 12561, ☎ +1 845 256-9289. Both decent, cheap, good portions, pub food. Lots of burgers, chicken, and other fried things.
- Main Street Bistro, 59 Main Street, New Paltz, NY 12561, ☎ +1 845 255-7766. Delicious and a bargain. Breakfast and lunch, everything is cheap and good. A lot of interesting, uncommon combinations.
- Karma Road, 11 Main Street, New Paltz, NY 12561, ☎ +1 845 255-1099. Very vegan friendly.
- The Village TeaRoom, 10 Plattekill Avenue, New Paltz, NY 12561, ☎ +1 845 255-3434. Seasonal, hearty dishes from a variety of European cooking traditions.
Several other restaurants on lower Main Street.
- Bacchus, 4 South Chestnut Street, New Paltz, NY 12561, ☎ +1 845 255-8636. Has over 300 beers and really good food. Slightly expensive and with a late night menu and pool.
- P&G's, 91 Main Street, New Paltz, NY 12561, ☎ +1 845 255-6161. College bar. Dance floor. Loud music.
- McGillicuddy's, 84 Main Street, New Paltz, NY 12561, ☎ +1 845 256-9289. College bar. Dance floor. Loud music.
Cozy beds and breakfasts. Youth hostel next to bus station on Main street.
- New Paltz Hostel, 145 Main Street, ☎ +1 845-255-6676. Check-in: 4:00, check-out: 10:00. The New Paltz Hostel has a home like feeling and a laid back, comfortable atmosphere. Has a full functioning kitchen with communal food available to guests. Provides bunk bed style rooms (a men's room and a women's room) and private rooms are also available. Includes all bed linens, towels, blankets, shampoo and communal food. 30.
- Mohonk Mountain House, 1000 Mountain Rest Rd, ☎ +1 845 255-1000. On the west side of the river. $250-$600 per night, this fabulous getaway is a destination in and of itself. It features theme programs for each month, has an on-site massage center and 9-hole golf course and is a favorite for weddings, corporate events and family reunions. Adjacent Mohonk Preserve is open for hiking and nature walks. The Mohonk Mountain is only about 10/15 minutes away by car.
|Routes through New Paltz|
|Albany ← Kingston ←||N S||→ Newburgh → New York City|