Namwon is in North Jeolla.
Namwon is known in Korea as the "city of lovers", and is indeed twinned with Verona the city of Romeo and Juliet.This arrises from a famous love between Lee Mong Ryong and Chunhyang who are kept apart by power and corruption. Namwon is also known as the cradle of Korean classical music and pansori, which includes the history of Chunhyang (Chunhyangjeon / 춘향전 / 春香 傳 or Song of the faithful Chunhyang).
|Daily highs (°C)||6.7||8.9||13.7||20.3||25.4||27.0||29.0||27.4||26.6||21.3||14.3||3.9|
|Nightly lows (°C)||-5.9||-2.0||1.0||6.6||11.0||17.7||20.6||20.8||15.8||8.4||2.9||-5.4|
2014 Korea Meteorological Administration
Namwon is also served by 32 express buses from Seoul every day, with a journey time of 4 hours.
Namwon is renowned for a number of handicrafts and local products such as:
- Lacquered wood containers: made from the alder and mountain ash trees of Jirisan, they are well known for their finesse
- Pottery: Traditional clay and glaze, they maintain food freshness
- Namwon kitchen knives, including steel dipped six times for strength.
- Rice Namwon (chammi): grown using organic methods, and irrigated with the waters of the river Sumjin.
- Jirisan wild ginseng: ginseng harvested by researchers
- Namwon is also famous for its traditional liqueurs, fruit and vegetables such as melons, grapes, peppers and apples
- The Suites Hotel Namwon, 38 Yongdam-ri, Jucheon-myeon, Namwon, Jeollabuk-do 590-812, ☎ +82 63 630 7121. Korean style luxury rooms with a good view
- Twins Park. Motel
- Jilisan Nine Dragon, ☎ +82 63 636 5733. ￦50,000 - ￦80,000.