Nakuru is the administrative and economical headquarters of Nakuru County. Convienently situated between Nairobi and Western Kenya, it also serves as a transit city for many travellers.
L.Nakuru airstrip is available for landing.
There is only one train line, the Nairobi-Kisumu train, however it is not operating currently (for some years now).
From Nairobi, the 158km (100 Miles)journey would take approximately 2hours. The newly renovated roads can be dangerous as only sections have dual carriageways. The scenery is beautiful, from Nairobi you will see the Great Rift Valley below from the highway. from Nakuru to Kericho it is 108 kms. from Nakuru to Nyahururu it is 65 kms. and from Nakuru to Eldoret it is 156 kms.
By bus and Shuttle
Mololine Prestige Shuttle, Crossroads, 2NK shuttle offer 9 seater up to 14 seater minivan services to Nairobi, Kisumu and Eldoret.
Mololine Prestige Shuttle cost Ksh 500 from Nakuru to Nairobi. and is known for its excellent service and security. has only 10 seats per minivan. takes 3 hours.
The large bus companies have Nairobi to Kampala coaches which stop in Nakuru. Busways have booking offices opposite the mosque.
Akamba has buses to Nairobi 3 hours. and Eldoret 3 hours. there are also buses going to Kericho and Nyahururu.
the Large bus fare from Nakuru to Nairobi (Oct 2015) was Ksh 400.
Lake Nakuru National Park is home to the famous pink flamingoes. It also offers viewing of various other species of animals and birds.
Menengai Crater is a dormant volcanoes that still spews out smoke. A view from the edge of the crater is a must.
- C F C Stanbic Bank, Moi/Kenyatta Junction. No fee MasterCard ATM.
- Westside Mall, Kenyatta Aveune, ☎ 0717333813. 9am-9pm. Has a Nakumatt supermarket, also has a food court.
- Kenya Commercial Bank. has a master card/visa card ATM
- Naivas Supermarket, old Nairobi Road Milimani Estate.
- Choppies Ukwala Supermarket, Pandit Nehru Road..
- Tuskys Supermarket, Pandit Nehru Road..
- G T Bank, Giddo Plaza. has a Master card ATM.
- Equity Bank. has a Master card/Visa card ATM.
- Ribbons, Mburu Gichua Rd. African food for around 100-150 shillings per course.
- Taidys (Mburu Gichua road at the south end by the roundabout.). A mix of African and Western food. Pizza 300S, most courses a little less.
- Merica Hotel (West end of Kenyatta Avenue). Western food in an upmarket hotel. Meals for around 500S, they also have a pool you can use for 300S
Local drinks (Tusker)from the local bars, pops are available.
There are a great many budget hotels available in Nakuru, many are within 5 minutes walking distance from the Matatu station.
- Nakuru Backpackers Hostel, Oginga Odinga Aveune, ☎ +254 (0) 721 543 406. Check-in: 24h, check-out: 10AM. Hostel with a bar and hot showers. 1000 kshs per person.
- Shik Park view Hotel, Kenyatta Ave (Right at the start of Kenyatta Ave when coming from the Matatu station.), ☎ 020 2614381. The cheapest are very small rooms with bathroom, reasonably clean, with mosquito nets, and good security. Downstairs is a restaurant and a quiet bar. 650 KES (2013).
- New Mount Sinai Hotel, Bazar road. Has single and double rooms. from Ksh 1,000.
- Care Guest House, Pandhit Nehru road (very near new mount sinai hotel), ☎ 0721636447. single/double room with own bathrooms. from 800 KSH.
- Joska Hotel, Pandhit Nehru road (near the care guest house), ☎ 2212546. single/double rooms from 800 KSH..
- Carnation Hotel, Mosque road, ☎ 2215360. single/double rooms. Ksh 1,550.
- Salama Resort, Market road. Check-in: 11am, check-out: 10am. double room with own bathroom and Mosquito net. TV. has free breakfast. Ksh 750.
- Kaka Guest House, Mosque Road. Check-in: 10am, check-out: 10am. double rooms with own bathrooms and TV. Ksh 1,000.
- Pekars Lodge, Mburu Gichua Road. Check-in: 10am, check-out: 10am. double rooms with own bathrooms. TV. free WIFI. has a free Buffet breakfast. Ksh 1,150.
- Rhino Campsite, Off Kabatini Road. Check-in: 11am, check-out: 10pm. camping in Rhino campsite tent. $13 for two persons..
- Amigos Guest House, Gusil Road.
- Tropical Vlley Lodge, Moi Road..
- Amoodis B&L, Nehru Road, ☎ 051-2241939. double room with hot water bathrooms. Ksh 800.
- Avenue Suites, Kenyatta Avenue., ☎ 051-2210607. single/double rooms with own hot water bathroom. nets. from Ksh 1,400.
- Pivot Lodge, Lower Factory Road, ☎ 0714-471111. single/double rooms with own Hot water bathroom. nets. DSTV. from Ksh 1,500.
- Pandoria Hotel, Mosque Road (has six floors.). double room with own hot water bathroom. has views over the lake. Ksh 800..
- Kivu Retreat Resort (out side the center close to entrance of NP.). camping/double room with own bathroom. has a swimming pool. Ksh 600/ 1000.
- Chester Hotel, General Kariba Street, near Moi Rd (100 metres west of Afraha Stadium), ☎ +254 020-2327654. Check-out: 10AM. Clean, secure, and comfortable hotel with pleasant staff. Wireless internet in lobby, good restaurant. $40/single, $60/double, $85/triple (January 2013).
At the Westside Mall (intersection Kenyatta Ave and West Road) is a new Java Coffee (like Starbucks) with free Wifi and good coffee. There are also many "Cyber" (internet cafes) all over down town.
Nakuru is safe to walk around during daytime. In the evening, Bazaar Road and the small side lanes don't feel too safe anymore. After 23:00 the night security guards in front of the banks on main Kenyatta Road start to fall asleep and nobody seems to walk on the streets anymore.