Situated at a distance of 50 km from Alibag. From Mumbai take the Goa highway until you reach Wadkhal, from there take the road to Alibag which will take you to Murud. The roads in this area are destroyed by monsoon every year (max rainfall in Maharashtra), so don't expect a smooth ride, instead enjoy every pothole.
State Transport buses ply from Mumbai & Pune to Alibag, and Alibag to Murud. The MSRTC buses are still the cheapest and most undesired way of transport in this area. Some travel groups in Mumbai and Pune arrange big group tours to this area and provied better buses. But they are only on demand, not regular. Very nice.
The nearest airport is at Mumbai 140 km.
The nearest railhead is at Panvel 90 km.
Regular ferry service between Mumbai-Rewas, Rewas is 6 km from Kihim. Ferry service available daily except during monsoons.
There is the state transport to go around to nearby places of interest like the Janjira fort. Beach is walkable from town. Otherwise there are a lot of three wheeler 'Autorickshaws'. One interesting mode of transport is the horse buggies, but they are a dying breed.
- Palace of Nawab. The palace was built in 1885 for administration purposes. However you can see the Palace only from outside as the palace is still owned by the descendants of the Nawab and is a private property.
- The Beach
- Janjira Fort near Rajpuri
- Khokri Gumbaj - old tombs
- Dutta Mandir - temple on a hilltop overlooking the town
- Ganapati temple in Nandgao
- There is a very beautiful beach at Murud to spend your mornings swimming, afternoons playing cricket or whichever sport you like and evenings walking hand in hand and watch the sun set on the horizon of the Indian Ocean.
- Take a boat ride to fort Janjira and trek on the ruins.
- Take a walk around town to see interesting local population busy in their daily chores.
- Drink the coconut wine (Maadi).
- Eat fried fish.
- Kashid beach is located around 25 kms from Murud featuring water sports.
Fish. The preparation in this area is really tasty, especially the fried variety. The local restaurant called Patils Inn or Patil Khanawal is a good place to eat fish thali. The food is just amazing.
Coconut wine called Maadi is very popular here. There are a few beer bars, dark and smelly.
Sea Shell Resort is the good place to rest in Murud. Hotel is having its wonderful swimming pool & sea view rooms. If you wanted to book sea view room by priority then you have to tell them at the time of reservation. Rooms are very clean & neat. Room service is really good. Most economical & best value for money.
Janjira Fort at Rajapur - The majestic sea fort which remained unconquered until the end.