The closest major airport is Sacramento International Airport (IATA: SMF), with the Reno-Tahoe International airport (IATA: RNO) a good alternative. There are also smaller airports in Redding and Medford. In travelling to or from airports, be aware of road conditions. Especially in the winter, it is not uncommon for the roads to Reno or Medford to be closed or have chain restrictions.
The city is small, but you'll still need at least a bicycle to get around.
You can see views of Mt. Shasta throughout this small town.
- Hike on Mt. Shasta. A number of routes are possible, of varying degrees of difficulty. A person of decent fitness can do a bit of hiking on the mountain without great strain.
- Mount Shasta Big Springs at Mount Shasta City Park: At the foot of the mountain, there is a cold underground spring that comes to the surface with just-melted glacial water from the mountain that is deliciously clear. Bring containers to take some water with you, if you choose, though do take into account the sign that says drinking is at your own risk.
- Mountain Runner's 4th of July Fun Run & Walk - Annual July 4th event - 4 walks or races to participate in with great food and entertainment along the way including: gourmet snacks, jazz choirs, country music bands, individual singers & classical instrumentalists, clowns, magicians, church choirs and belly dancers, cheerleaders, gymnasts on the ground and surprises in the sky.
The town consists of several main commercial streets, a shopping center and dozens of tourist oriented hotels and stores.
- Black Bear Diner, 401 W Lake St, ☎ +1 530 926-4669. The original location (opened in 1995) of the franchise of Black Bear Diners known for its large portions and great breakfast menu
- Burger Express. The best place to get quality burgers in the area.
- Say Cheese Pizza & Sports Bar. Has decent pizza and also has beer on tap
- Vet's Club, 406 N Mount Shasta Blvd, ☎ +1 530 926-3565. A sign says they are the oldest bar in Mount Shasta, has a cozy fireplace and gets busy on Friday nights
McCloud, 8 miles away, has three waterfalls, a golf course and historic Main Street shopping.
|Routes through Mount Shasta|
|Medford ← Weed ←||N S||→ Dunsmuir → Redding|
|END ←||N S||→ McCloud → Truckee|