Moroni is in Central Utah. Moroni sits midway between Nephi and Manti on the most pronounced “North Bend” of the San Pitch River. Families from Nephi moved there early in 1859. Sanpete’s first probate judge named it Moroni City after a Nephite Prophet in The Book of Mormon.
High water in 1862 forced the town’s founders to move away from the river site and spread north over the rolling hills, a setting best seen when approaching Moroni from the south. For water, they tapped the San Pitch farther east with an intricate and expensive system of canals and ditches that stretched from Mt. Pleasant to Fountain Green’s south fields. Reaching out in all directions, the city was big enough by 1891 to support an “opera house” that seated 1,000 persons.
Moroni is approximately 1.5 hours from Salt Lake City. To get to Moroni, Take I-15 Exit 225 at Nephi and go East on Highway 132 up the canyon.
- Moroni Historic Opera House, 325 West Main St.
- Maple Canyon –Conglomerate rock climbing, hiking, and camping.
- Valu-Mart Sinclair, 95 West Main St, ☎ +1 435 436-8274. Convenience Store.
- Juanita's Grocery, 118 West Main, ☎ +1 435 436-8133.
- Juanita's Dairy Queen, 100 West Main, ☎ +1 435 436-8535.
- Moroni Service Center, 416 East Main St, ☎ +1 435 436-8251.