Morgan Hill is a city in the southern end of Silicon Valley in the South Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area region of California. It benefited from the technology revolution and has grown rapidly in the last decade of the 20th century. Originally incorporated in 1906, the small city grew around a Southern Pacific train depot near a ranch belonging to local citizen Hiram Morgan Hill. A prominent hill to the west is often mistakenly identified as "Morgan Hill"; it is actually known as El Toro and was supposedly named by author Bret Harte when he saw two bulls fighting on it.
Morgan Hill sits astride US 101, a major north-south highway that spans the Pacific coast from San Diego to Seattle. Commercial air service is via Mineta San Jose International Airport, approximately 20 miles to the north. Morgan Hill also is connected to San Jose and San Francisco by Caltrain service, but only during peak commute hours. Time Table
Santa Clara Valley bus service schedule.
- Henry Coe State Park. Is the largest state park in northern California. It is open year-round for hikers, mountain bikers, backpackers, equestrians, car campers, picnickers, and photographers.
- Anderson Lake County Park, 19245 Malaguerra Ave, ☎ +1 408 779-3634. Park office:. It is great for hiking, running, biking, and skating on paved trails. The lake is open for boating and fishing. Jet-ski's and float tubes are permitted.
- Cinelux theaters (Off of Tennant Street, between Monterey and 101).
- Guglielmo Winery, 1480 E Main Ave (across from Live Oak HS), ☎ +1 408 779-2145.
- Pedrizzetti Winery, 1645 San Pedro Winery, ☎ +1 408 779-7389.
- Sycamore Creek Winery. Located west of Morgan Hill on Sycamore Rd.
- Kirigins Winery. Located west of Morgan Hill on Uvas Rd.
Shopping areas include downtown and the Cochrane area.
- Aoi Japanese Restaurant, 35 East Main Ave, ☎ +1 408 776-7763. Authentic Japanese food and the service is even true Japanese style.
- Betsy's Restaurant & Lounge, 650 Tennant Station (in the bowling alley), ☎ +1 408 779-3721. Great food and some of the best prime rib served on weekends.
- China Orchid, 16715 Monterey St, ☎ +1 408 776-1714. Chinese food.
- China Star, 233 West Main Av, ☎ +1 408 778-9898. Chinese food. good food and nice atmosphere.
- La Choza Taqueria, 17865 Monterey St #F (corner of Wright St), ☎ +1 408 782-7873. Mexican food.
- The Capri, 18625 Monterey St, ☎ +1 408 778-5642. Used to be a hot spot in the 50's as a restaurant, place to dance, and a bar. The Capri was closed and has been the host to many different restaurants. Later it was turned into a Mexican restaurant called "El Capri". After El Capri closed a single taco cart going by the same name sat outside the vacant building until they moved to San Martin (just south of Morgan Hill on Monterey Rd.). Now the building that once was a hot spot in the 50's where people went to dance, drink and eat(such as my grandparents), it sits vacant. This historic landmark is certainly an eye catcher and is sad to see it not being used.
- El Toro Brewery (corner of Main and Monterey).
- Flying Dragon, 17340 Monterey St, ☎ +1 408 779-6296. Chinese food.
- Giancarlo's, 16180 S Monterey Rd, ☎ +1 408 776-2995. Italian.
- Golden China, 16925 Monterey St, ☎ +1 408 778-1878. Chinese food. Also includes free eggroll. Cheap.
- Golden Oak, 16695 Condit Rd, ☎ +1 408 779-8085. Upscale American cuisine.
- Aoi, 35 East Main Av, ☎ +1 408 776-7763. Excellent Japanese food.
- Izakaya, 17415 Monterey St, ☎ +1 408 778-0505. Japanese.
- Jesus Restaurant, 95 East 3rd St, ☎ +1 408 778-9446. Mexican food. The real McCoy, authentic & cheap.
- Just Breakfast, 17415 Monterey St, ☎ +1 408 779-7044. Between 1st and 2nd Street in downtown. Despite their title they serve other meals as well. American and Mexican food.
- Le Bistro, 207 W. Main St, ☎ +1 408 782-2505. California/continental cuisine, live music.last time I looked this had changed names.
- Marie Callender's, 18599 Sutter Blvd, ☎ +1 408 778-7373. Restaurant & bakery, plus they just put in a nice lounge. don't let the address throw you this place is right on Cochrane Ave. All you can eat brunch on Sundays.
- Maurizio's, 25 E. First St, ☎ +1 408 782-7550. Italian, seafood.
- Moon's Kitchen, 16985 Monterey St, ☎ +1 408 778-3883. Asian.
- Peking, 92 E 2nd St, ☎ +1 408 779-0333. Chinese food. Fancy but good.
- Pink Elephant Bakery #2, 16925 Monterey St, ☎ +1 408 778-9088. Sandwiches, salads, baked goods.
- Rosy's at the Beach, 17320 Monterey St, ☎ +1 408 778-0551. Fish tacos, but no beach. Overpriced, unremarkable.
- Sinaloa Cafe, 17535 Monterey Highway, ☎ +1 408 779-9740. Mexican food. Replacement cafe from the old burned down one. Overpriced and lost a lot of its appeal from the old place. Popular bar.
- Speros Courtyard, 16375 Monterey St, ☎ +1 408 779-4461. Greek Owner. Lots of food. Good.
- Taqueria El Grullense, 16760 Monterey St, ☎ +1 408 779-9063. Mexican food.
- Mr. Falafel, 17455 Monterey St (Downtown Morgan Hill), ☎ +1 408 778-7777. 11AM-10PM. Mediterranean and Vegetarian food prepared to order. Sharwma, Kefta Kabob, Hummus, Baba Ganoush and tabbouleh salads.
- Boxseat Sports Grill, 15650 Vineyard Blvd, Suite F, ☎ +1 408 778-7102.
- El Toro Brewing Co, 17370 Hill Rd, ☎ +1 408 778-2739. Moved to Main and Monterey in 2007.
- Comfort Inn, 16225 Condit Rd, toll-free: +1-800-208-5964.
- Courtyard San Jose South/Morgan Hill, 18610 Madrone Parkway, ☎ +1 408 782-6034, fax: +1 408 782-1064.
- Extended Stay America, 605 Jarvis Dr, ☎ +1 408 779-9660.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 17035 Condit Rd, ☎ +1 408 776-7676.
- Residence Inn San Jose South/Morgan Hill, 18620 Madrone Parkway, ☎ +1 408 782-8311, fax: +1 408 782-8322.
- San Jose/Morgan Hill Microtel Inn & Suites, 16245 Condit Rd, ☎ +1 408 782-5000, fax: +1 408 782-6633.
- Ramada Morgan Hill, 16115 Condit Rd.
Be careful to check for ticks after hiking in fields in the bay area. There is a high rate of lyme disease transmission in the Bay Area. If a bulls' eye rash develops at the tick bite site, immediately seek medical help and treatment with antibiotics.
|Routes through Morgan Hill|
|San Francisco ← San Jose ←||N S||→ Gilroy → Salinas|