The seaside village of Morgan's Bay is located on the Eastern Cape Wild Coast of South Africa and is about 85 km east of East London. Morgan's Bay lies between the famous Morgan's Bay cliffs and a mile-long stretch of unspoilt beach, bordered by the Cape Morgan Nature Reserve.
In the early part of the century, Morgan's Bay was a popular holiday destination for farmers from throughout South Africa's Eastern Cape region. Every year, after the harvest, they packed their families and possessions into wagons for a camping holiday by the sea. These days Morgan's Bay is still a popular camping destination, with families from up country making the yearly trek down to the sea to enjoy the delights of the Wild Coast.
Directions from East London:
Drive North-East along the N2 highway from East London, take the Kei Mouth / Morgan Bay turnoff at Mooiplaas and follow the R349 for R35.5km. Turn right at Morgan Bay turnoff and follow the road for 7km's until you reach Morgan Bay.
Directions from Durban:
Drive South from Durban along the N2 highway, 31km past the Kei River Bridge turn left at the Kei Mouth / Morgan Bay turnoff at Mooiplaas and follow the R349 for R35.5km. Turn right at Morgan Bay turnoff and follow the road for 7km's until you reach Morgan Bay
There are no buses or taxis in Morgan's Bay.
If you're a keen hiker it's worth a ramble over the Morgan's Bay Cliffs. These impressive slabs of dolerite, which drop some 50 meters into the pounding surf, are ideal vantage points for watching the sunset. If you're lucky, you may even see the dolphins frolicking in the waves, which crash against the rocks below.
Morgan's Bay is an ideal destination for adventurous family holidays with an excellent swimming beach, patrolled by lifeguards during the festive season, and lagoon in pristine natural surroundings. It's the perfect place to get in some well earned relaxation and breathe in the fresh sea air. During the day you can gaze at passing ships on the horizon or lie on the beach with a book. At night you can lie relaxed in comfortable accommodation while being hypnotised by the dull roar of the sea, glorious stars and the intermittent beam of the Cape Morgan Lighthouse across the bay.
- Mkulu Kei Horse Trails (Cheradon), ☎ +27 83 632-7298. Mkulu Kei Horse Trails Cher-a-Don was established in 1998 and provides guided horse trekking vacations along the Wild Coast of South Africa. Riding tours are available from +-2 hour beach rides, full day rides, as well as 2 to 12 day over night multi-day riding trails. Multi-day tours are flexible.
- Wild Coast Horse Trails, Sunray Farm Kei Mouth Road Wild Coast, ☎ +27 82 567-0972. Offers a full holiday experience while giving you the chance to sample the undeveloped beauty of the South African Wild Coast. The beach riding along the Transkei is exhilarating and exciting. Torstone Sport Horses ~ competitive endurance horses and high quality pleasure riding horses.
- Xhosa Crafts. Xhosa women sell beads and other crafts under the trees near the lagoon.
- Craft Markets, ☎ +27 43 841-1598. Local Farmers & Craft Markets are held once a month and regularly during holiday periods. They are advertised on the notice board at the Top Shop.
- The Sandhoppa, 41 Beach Road (Morgan Bay Hotel), ☎ +27 43 841-1062. Forgotten your slip slops, sun hat or sun block in the rush to get here? The Sandhoppa offers popular brands including Roxy, Haviannas, Quicksilver and Billabong.
- The Deck, 41 Beach Road (Morgan Bay Hotel), ☎ +27 43 841-1062. Enjoy a choice of breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner menu options. Meals can be enjoyed as a take-away or eat in. Relax and enjoy the 180' degree view of the Indian Ocean while you eat.
- The Krans Kombuis restaurant and bar, The Mitford Lodge, Beach Road, ☎ +27 43 841-1510. Situated on the seafront to provide dining guests with uninterrupted views of the waves and krantzes. Dining at the Mitford Lodge includes sumptuous meals that range from Table de hote to an a la carte menu with meals that include seafood platters, deliciously prepared ribs, steak and Italian cuisine.
- The Mudhutters, Link Road, Morgan Bay, ☎ +27 43 841-1810. Open school holidays, long weekends and other times by arrangement for Homebakes, Homemade jams, pickles, pestos, chilli sauces, etc., Tea, cake and light meals served in our indigenous riverine forest garden. Guided walks with Picnic Lunch.
- The Shed, ☎ +27 43 841-1550. Come and braai, they supply every Friday evening. Had a hectic week? Relax on their deck with an ice cold beer. They can even braai for you. Braai packs, salads and extra goodies supplied. 5km from Morgan's Bay
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
|Mid-range||R500 to R1000|
- Cane Castle (Self Catering), Beach Road, ☎ +27 45 839-4817. Cane Castle is a double story beach house comprising 2 self-contained units and is located within a 1 minute walk of the beach. Sleeps 6 & 12. From R400 per night.
- DoubleView (Bed & Breakfast), 127 Yellowwood Place, ☎ +27 43 841-1142. Newly built, spacious modern home with two large, luxurious bedrooms each with en-suite bathroom. One bedroom has a view of the lagoon and sea, the other the indigenous forest. From R300 pp sharing.
- The Lower Deck (Self Catering), 470 Chestnut Place, ☎ +27 43 841-1099. Situated in a quiet cul de sac, approximately 200m from the waters edge, The Lower Deck sits a top a hill and is blessed with beautiful sea views. From R400 per night.
- The Morgan Bay Bed & Breakfast, Beach Road, ☎ +27 43 841-1125. A charming old colonial home, situated in a beautiful garden, with the beach and safe swimming lagoon at the bottom of the garden path. From 300pps.
- Patty's Place (Self Catering), Candleberry Place, ☎ +27 43 841-1245. Patty's Place comprises three self-catering units and is located in a quiet cul-de-sac close to the shop and a short walk from the beach. R500 per night.
- Tanglewood House (Self Catering), Tanglewood Drive, ☎ +27 43 841-1031. Tanglewood House sleeps up to 6 people and is a thatch house set in a lush green belt, a 2 min drive or 10 min walk from the Morgan Bay beach. From R480.
- Yellowwood Forest (Caravan and Camping), Link Road, ☎ +27 43 841-1598, e-mail: email@example.com. Family friendly Caravan Park & Campsite situated in woodland just above the Morgan's Bay Lagoon. We have plenty of shade and are sheltered from the wind. From R85/site plus R10pp.
- 180 Degrees (Self Catering), 53 Private Road, Morgan Bay (off of Cherrywood Road, just behind the Mitford Lodge), ☎ +27 82 497-1089. 180 degrees is a large double story wooden house, located high above the beachfront and boasting a spectacular 180 degrees sea view, the best in Morgan Bay.
- The Corner House (Self Catering), 212 Tanglewood Drive (Corner of Protea Road and Tanglewood Drive), ☎ +27 71 879-1730. Situated high on the hill with a panoramic view of the lagoon. The Corner House sleeps 7 in 3 bedrooms and has a large open-plan kitchen and lounge that leads out onto the large wooden deck. Minimum 3 night stay out of season and 2 week stay in season. From R750 per night.
- Flame Lily House (Self Catering), 35 Beach Road, ☎ +27 43 841-1594, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Offers affordable self-catering holiday accommodation with sea views for 2 - 8 people. Situated above the coastal milkwood trees on the central beachfront of Morgan's Bay it is just 25 m from the bathing beach with the lagoon, dunes, fishing spots, hotel facilities and magnificent cliffs in easy walking distance. Rates on enquiry.
- Georgett (Self Catering), George Brown Drive, ☎ +27 83 234-2908. Georgett offers self-catering accommodation, from an ideal location up on the hill, with un-obstructed views of the beach and ocean. Sleeps 10 & 8. Rates on enquiry.
- Lagoon Islands, Yellowwood Place, e-mail: email@example.com. Spacious self catering accommodation for 4 people in a large house with upper & lower decks, covered outdoor entertainment area and birds-eye-view of the lagoon. All bedding is supplied, with towels. There is a satellite tv in the main bedroom - please bring your decoder and DSTV card. The main bedroom has a lounge/reading area, giving you a choice of staying in bed or relaxing in the chill-out area. There is one bedroom on each floor, each with its own deck and spectacular lagoon view. From R700 per night.
- The Lighthouse (Self Catering), Sundew Place, ☎ +27 43 841-1092, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The Lighthouse looks out over the lagoon and offers spacious, comfortable accommodation for up to 10 people. From R800 per night.
- The Mitford Lodge, Beach Road, ☎ +27 43 841-1510, fax: +27 86 691-7171, e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 10AM. Self catering (2 sleeper to 6 sleeper) apartments and bed & breakfast. Accommodation is only 35 steps away from the sea. Great food and an amazing view. From R690/unit.
- Ocean Valley View (Self Catering), 472 Chestnut Place, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Comfortable self catering accommodation in modern fully furnished house that sleeps 8 persons. Beautiful views of the sea, valley, bush and cliffs and within very easy walking distance of the sea. From R700 per night.
- On The Rocks (Self Catering), Beach Road, ☎ +27 43 841-1092. On the Rocks is a seafront house, situated less than 50m from the sea and is a 5-minute walk past bully fishing pools to the swimming beach and lagoon. It is the perfect house for a fuss free family holiday and has 3 double-bed sea facing rooms and 2 big, bright back rooms sleeping 3 and 2. From R700 per night.
- Oystercatcher (Self Catering), Beach Road, ☎ +27 43 841-1538. Situated a mere stone's throw from the sea on the Morgan Bay beachfront, Oystercatcher Self Catering offers uninterrupted panoramic views of the bay and comfortable accommodation for up to 7 people. The open-plan kitchen, dining room and lounge leads out onto a wooden deck where you can relax and take in the scenery. To the side of the house is a sheltered patio and braai area that is ideal for socializing with friends and family. From R800 per night.
- Sea View Cottage (Self Catering), 55 Cherrywood Road, ☎ +27 83 327-2895. Situated on the hillside and only a shell-throw from the warm Indian Ocean, Sea View Cottage offers stunning sea views and magnificent sunsets. This idyllic retreat provides comfortable self-catering accommodation for up to 12 people, with a daily maid service included. From R800.
- Spinnaway (Self Catering), 20 Beach Road, ☎ +27 82 493-2929. Double-storey, seafront house, consisting of two self-catering apartments, with a shared double garage. Each sleeps 5 people in two bedrooms & has an open-plan kitchen & lounge that lead out onto a deck with braai place. From R1000.
- Stuart's Place (Self Catering), Sedge Street, ☎ +27 79 192-2604. Stuart's Place offers secluded self catering accommodation for 5 people in a newly built house in Morgan Bay. The house is situated within 100 metres of the shop and boasts a large wooden deck with jacuzzi that overlooks the green-belt and lagoon. Accommodation consists of one double bed bedroom and a second bedroom with a double and single bed. Rates on Enquiry.
- Turn Inn (Bed and Breakfast), 268 Sundew Place, e-mail: email@example.com. 2 Luxury units each with private entrance and patio on ground floor / secure off-road parking / magnificent lagoon views and access. R350 per person sharing.
- The Beach House (Self Catering), Beach Road, ☎ +27 43 841-1092, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Situated in a prime location, only metres from the mile-long beach and safe swimming lagoon, The Beach House in Morgan Bay is ideal for relaxing holidays with family and friends, providing self-catering accommodation for up to 12 people with a daily maid service included. From R1500 per night.
- Brandon (Self Catering), Plankton, Inchara Drive, e-mail: email@example.com. comfortable family home overlooking the lagoon 110 paces from the Morgan Bay beach and swimming lagoon. From R1200 per night.
- Keromescory (Self Catering), Plankton, Inchara Drive, ☎ +27 83 658-2562. Kermescory is a large, modern, timber-frame home in Morgan Bay, providing luxurious self catering accommodation for up to 10 people in an ideal location, only 2-minutes walk from the beach and lagoon, boasting views of both the river and sea. There are 5 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms in all, 4 of the bedrooms are en-suite. R2500 per night.
- Milla Villa (Self Catering), Plankton, Inchara Drive, ☎ +27 82 442-3168. Milla Villa is a well-appointed family beach cottage in the Plankton Development 100 metres from the Morgan Bay Beach and with uninterrupted views of the lagoon. The cottage, which sleeps 9 people, runs down to the jetty on the lagoon and is surrounded by grassy lawns. Rates on Enquiry.
- Morgan Bay Hotel (Hotel, dinner bed and breakfast), 41 Beach Road (38km East of East London on the N2, turn right on the R349 for a further 35Km), ☎ +27 43 841-1062, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14.00, check-out: 10.00. Family accommodation establishment. Their mission is to be the best family run Hotel on the Wild Coast. Their aim is to make your holiday a memorable one, so that you will speak of Morgan Bay with fond memories and always return for more. Run by the Warren-Smith family since 1946. Come and join the Morgs family as it is commonly known. From R625.00pps.
- The Ree (Self Catering), Tanglewood Drive, ☎ +27 43 735-2475, e-mail: email@example.com. Newly built, modern holiday home with stunning lagoon view. 6 bedrooms (sleeping 14), 3 bathrooms and large open plan living area. Fully equipped kitchen, under cover braai area and double garage. Rates on Enquiry.
- Sip-a-way (Self Catering), Cherrywood Road, ☎ +27 83 410-7188. Situated in a prime location, very private, only 50m from the sea. Sip-a-way has a magnificent view of the sea and cliffs and is only 600m from the main beach. The house is ideal for a relaxing holiday with family / friends, accommodating 8 people. There are 4 Bedrooms, comprising 3 double beds and 2 single beds, all en-suite. All linen and pillows provided, but no bath or beach towels. Rates on Enquiry.
- Sole Mare (Self Catering), Beach Road, ☎ +27 83 600-2212. Recently completely renovated and refurnished house with 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms (2 en-suite). "Sole Mare" is situated on the front row, approximately 60 meters from the beautiful Morgan Bay beach and lagoon. The house will sleep 10 in comfort. Rates on Enquiry.
- Kei Mor ISP, ☎ +27 84 267-6354. There are several WiFi Hotspots in Morgan's Bay, all operated by local provider Kei Mor ISP.
Their hotspots can now be found at Yellowwood Forest Campsite and Coffee Shop, The Top Shop mini-supermarket and the Morgan Bay Hotel's Caravan Park. Pricing starts at around R25 for 1 hour and goes up to R140 for 10 hours. There are also 500MB (R150) and 1GB (R250) vouchers available.
Beyond the Morgan's Bay cliffs lies the beautiful Double Mouth Nature Reserve. Here two rivers meet in a pristine estuary, which carves a single course through forested dunes to the sea. Fish Eagles, Crowned Eagles, Red-Billed Woodhoopoes and several species of Kingfishers patrol the placid waters and it's forest fringes. Just beyond is Bead beach; site of a 16th Century Portuguese shipwreck, it's the perfect place to do a little treasure hunting for Ming porcelain and Carnelian beads.