Downtown Mobile from Fort Conde.
Mobile is a city in the state of Alabama in the South of the United States of America with almost a half million people in the metro area.
Mobile is a historic, diverse port city with a strong southern culture and heritage. The original capital of French Louisiana, Mobile is home to the oldest Mardi Gras celebration in the United States.
- Mobile Regional Airport (IATA: MOB), 8400 Airport Blvd, is the main airport servicing Mobile. Served by American Airlines to Dallas/Fort Worth and Charlotte, Delta to Atlanta, and United to Chicago-O'Hare and Houston-Intercontinental.
- Mobile Downtown Airport (Brookley Complex); 1891 9th Avenue; Phone: +1 251 438-7334;
- MODA Free electric trolley that serves downtown with 22 stops, available Monday through Friday from 7am - 6pm.
- The Wave Transit System is Mobile's public bus service. The frequency is not the best, generally one bus per hour but the buses run on time and are reliable. They can even carry a bicycle on a rack at the front of the bus and there is no charge for bicycles. The fares are $1.25 one way or $3.00 for an all day ticket. Routes and timetables are available online or at the GM&O Transportation Centre.
- Historic Fort Conde. 150 South Royal Street; Recreation of a fort built in 1723. Admission is free.
- Bellingrath Gardens, 12401 Bellingrath Gardens Rd. In Theodore, Alabama.; Sixty-Five acre Garden Estate open year around since 1934. Includes the 2004 Top Public Rose Garden in the United States. Admission rates vary, and some packages include a river cruise and guided tour of the Bellingrath Museum Home.
- Battleship Memorial Park, 2703 Battleship Pkwy. Tour the WWII battleship USS Alabama and the WWII submarine the USS Drum. Also features a large collection of aircraft and other military hardware. Admission: Age 12 & up: $12.00, Ages 6-11: $6.00, and under age 6: Free.
- Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, 2 S Claiborne St, ☎ +1 251-434-1565. A masterpiece of neo classical architecture from 1835. The church is the only southern church which could be called a small basilica.
- Bragg-Mitchell Mansion, 1906 SpringHill Ave. Hours Tuesday-Friday 10:00-16:00; The Bragg-Mitchell Mansion is a combination of neoclassical and Italian architecture. The house is furnished with antiques and curtains. Admission: Adults $5.00 Seniors $4.50 Students/Children $3.00 Children under 6 Jahre free.
- Ladd-Peebles Stadium, 1621 Virginia Street; ; This 40,000 seat stadium hosts college football games such as the GMAC Bowl in mid-December and the Senior Bowl in late-January.
- Mobile BayBears. 755 Bolling Bros. Blvd; This baseball team is an AA Affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks. Their ballpark, Hank Aaron Stadium, is named for the baseball great who is from Mobile.
- Mobile Greyhound Park. Old Pascagoula Rd. Theodore, AL 36582; Weekly Greyhound dog racing. Free admission, $2 valet. Dress code.
- Celebrate Mardi Gras. The original home of Mardi Gras in the United States, Mobile, has been celebrating it since 1703. The streets of historic downtown are filled with floats, marching bands, and parades for weeks. Mardi Gras must be experienced to be fully understood and Mobile is the perfect place.
- Go on a Walking Tour, ; Historic downtown Mobile can easily be explored by foot. See the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception and Scottish Rite Temple, rest under the shade trees in Bienville Square, watch the ships on the Mobile River from Cooper Riverside Park, and grab a bite to eat on Dauphin Street.
- Take a Cruise. Carnival Cruise Line operates their Fun Ship "Holiday" from the port of Mobile. Four and five day Western Caribbean cruises.
- Colonial Mall Bel Air. 3299 Bel Air Mall. A mall featuring over 130 stores.
- Legacy Village at Springhill, 9 Du Rhu Dr. Mobile, AL 36606. A new, upscale shopping center.
- Bienville Books, 109 Dauphin Street. Small, independent, new and used book store located by historic Bienville Square. Plenty of local and Southern authors.
- Dew Drop Inn Restaurant, 1808 Old Shell Rd, ☎ +1 251-473-7872. Local favorite since 1937, serving great dogs and burgers.
- Dick Russell's BBQ, 5360 Highway 90 W. Great country style breakfast.
- La Pizzeria (La Pizzeria), 1455 1/2 Monroe (La Pizzeria is located in midtown Historic Leinkauf District, directly behind the main building for Leinkauf Elementary School.), ☎ +1 251 473 5003. Gourmet pizzas, specialty pastas, veal, steaks, and fresh seafood.
- Mellow Mushroom, 5660 Old Shell Rd.
- T. P. Crockmier's Bar & Grill, 170 S Florida St.
- Margarita's Bar, 224 Dauphin St.
- Callaghan's Irish Social Club, 916 Charleston St.
- The Pillars, 1757 Government St.
- Jerusalem Cafe, 4715 Airport Boulevard (Behind Applebee's in the Regency Square Shopping Center on Airport Boulevard (between Hillcrest and University)), ☎ +1 251 304-1155. Wide selection of vegetarian dishes and middle eastern food. Quiet.
- Homewood Suites Mobile, 530 Providence Park Drive East, ☎ +1 251 634-8664. Offering all suites with full kitchens and private bedrooms, free hot breakfast, free WiFi, free parking, and free evening reception Monday - Thursday.
- Dauphin Island, Hwy 193, 23 miles south of Mobile. Sandy beaches, Historic Fort Gaines, fishing pier, campground, bird-watching sites, the Dauphin Island Sea Lab and Estuarium, and the Isle Dauphine Golf Club are all on the island.
- Orange Beach