Suburban Milan is in the province of Milan.
- Linate International airport, Viale Enrico Forlanini, Segrate. Milano's city airport with many domestic and European flights, but no intercontinental flights.
By public transport
The "Metropolitana" reaches out in the suburbs, but for many parts bus is the only alternative. Refer to the website of Milan's public transport agency for routes and schedules.
If you're driving from elsewhere in Italy, you will pass through the suburbs first. It's not as hard to move around as it is in downtown (and there's also no congestion fee either). Drivers who want to visit central Milan might want to consider parking their car at one of the public transport agency's car parks around the city and continue by bus or metro. It costs a few euros, but parking in the city is more expensive and means more hassle.
- Chiaravalle Abbey (7 km South of Milan (get off at MM3 subway line Rogoredo Station and take a local bus for 3 stops; another option is to get off at MM3 subway line Corvetto Station and take local bus number 77 for 8 stops)). A beautifully-preserved medieval abbey still run by monks today.
- , Alzaia Naviglio Grande 122. A complex of two churches, the older one is built in the 13th century on a place where there has been houses of worship since the Roman Empire.
- Paolo Pini Art Museum (Museo d'Arte Paolo Pini), Via Ippocrate 45, ☎ +39 02 6444 5392. Contemporary art gallery collection.
- Hangar Bicocca (subway MM1 Sesto Marelli Station). Contemporary art museum located in a giant hangar in the industrial district just north of Milano Bicocca university. They have a few permanent sculptural installations along with rotating temporary exhibits and events.
- Museo San Siro Collezione Milan Inter, Via dei Piccolomini 5. Inter and Milan paraphernalia are at display at the museum in the stadium that two of the most famous football (soccer) teams in Italy call home.
- Leonardo's Horse (Il Cavallo di Leonardo). A bronze sculpture realised according to an original project of Leonardo da Vinci. It is on the courtyard of the race-track of San Siro, just behind the Stadium. The race-track is open on race days but the courtyard is open everyday.
- Watch a football game at San Siro Stadium (Terminal point of streetcar 16 or a 10 min walk from MM1 Lotto metro stop.). Watch AC Milan or FC Internazionale at the famous Giuseppe Meazza Stadium, also known as San Siro, which is shared as a home stadium by both clubs. Tickets for most matches are available in advance or on the day. The rivalry between the two sides is very bitter, and considered to be one of the biggest in Italy, and matches between both sides, known as the Derby della Madonnina, are particularly charged affairs which always attract sell-out crowds. Watch out for the scalpers at the stadium as they sell the tickets for much more than the official ticket offices. As many as 60 matches per year are played in San Siro from late August until late May. In addition to home matches of the two clubs, the San Siro also regularly hosts home matches of the Italian national team.
- Sunbathing and do aquatic sports at the Idroscalo. Also know as "sea of Milan", the Idroscalo is an artificial lake in Milan. In this place you can practice many sports such as kayaking, canoeing, dragon boats, rowing, sailing, swimming, horse riding and water skiing. In Idroscalo park there are also bars and nightclubs and it is used for open-air concerts. Free wifi internet connection available. Near idroscalo there is Europark Idroscalo Milano, a family-oriented amusement park, open from March to September and on weekends during the rest of the year.
- Osteria del Gnocco Fritto, Via Pestalozzi 16, ☎ +39 02 8912 2631. At Osteria del Gnocco Fritto the €4.50 cover charge includes baskets of fried hand-size pastries (similar to sopapillas) accompanied by meats, cheeses, or jams (€8 to €11). The restaurant has a second location closer to the city center.
- La Trattoria Da Abele, Via Temperanza 5. Renowned for its risottos, which change seasonally, Da Abele has a relaxed atmosphere and place that is always packed with locals.
- Dilemma, Via Decembrio 26, ☎ +39 023 6586094, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Restaurant & cocktail bar.
- Birrificio Lambrate, Via Adelchi (near Lambrate Station). Features with its own branded beers.
- Sio Café, Via Libero Temolo, 1, 20126 Milano, ☎ +39 02 6611 8087. A disco north of the Central railway station.
Gay and lesbian clubs
- Amnesia, via Alfonso Gatto (near Linate airport, reachable by taxi or #73 bus). Saturday nights at Billy or Amnesia,
- Borgo del Tempo Perso, via Fabio Massimo (subway:MM3 Porto di Mare). open year-round although outdoor area open May-Sept only. On Sunday nights, hundreds flock to the largest and classiest spot in town, the Borgo del Tempo Perso.
Cruising clubs such as the "Flexo" and "Depot" are hugely popular in Italy, perhaps even more so than saunas.
The best saunas in 2008 include Metro (In the north part of Milan) and Royal Hammam, mostly packed during the weekend especially at night as they are open 24 hours.
- Città di Milano, Via Gaetano Airaghi 61 (Located in Quinto Romano), ☎ +39 02 48200134, fax: +39 02 48202999. It is located way on the outskirts of the city. If you arrive by car, take the tangenziale Ovest and exit at San Siro/ Fiera. If by public transport, take the subway (the M1 line to De Angeli) and then a bus (bus no 72). However keep an eye out for signs pointing to the campsite. Don't be afraid to ask locals on the bus where it is. Be aware that it's next to a rather smelly farm. However, the campsite itself has a bar, a restaurant and very good shower facilities. This is definitely an option for students or people who would rather spend money in Milan, instead of accommodation.
- Piero Rotta Youth Hostel, Via Salmoiraghi 1, ☎ +39 02-39267095, fax: +39 02-33000191, e-mail: email@example.com. Follow the signs from QT8 stop on the red line to Molino Dorino. Very relaxed curfew compared to most in Italy. Look out for the night walkers you pass on the way to the hostel.. 5 km from Duomo. €19-23.
- Ostello Olinda, Via Ippocrate 45, ☎ +39 02 64445219, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Hostel converted from an old psychiatric ward, though other buildings on the grounds are still used for psychiatric treatment. Reception desk is only open from noon to 8PM, and the staff only speaks enough English to keep the place functioning. Entry after dark requires checking in with the gate guard. No curfew, but remember that the guard-gate is closed from 1:30AM to 6AM. It is located out in the suburbs near the Affori Train Station. Easily reached from the city center by commuter trains, or bus 70. The yellow-line of the subway is currently being extended and will eventually reach this location. Price begins at €18/night, includes free wifi..
- Hotel De Albertis, Via De Albertis, 7 (2 km east of Milan centre), ☎ +39 02 7383409, fax: +39 02 7383409, e-mail: email@example.com. 2 star hotel located in the Cinque Giornate area. Run by a very pleasant family.
- Hotel Delizia, Via Archimede, 86/88, ☎ +39 02 740544, fax: +39 02 733638. A recently restored 2 star hotel with comfortable access to the tangenziale and the splendid Piazza del Duomo. 14 rooms each with shower, bidet, toilet, free wifi, TV, ADSL, breakfast. Double room single use €60. Two persons €120..
- Hotel Catalani e Madrid, Via Catalani 71, ☎ +39 02 2846361, fax: +39 02 2824930. Single rooms €40, doubles €50, triples €70, quadruples €85..
- Hotel Alessandro, Via Roma, 18, Masate (In Masate, 30 km from Milan), ☎ +39 0295760945, fax: +39 0295383032, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hotel La Residenza, Via Scialoia 3, ☎ +39 02 6461646, fax: +39 02 6464268. Single rooms €55, doubles €88, triples €100, quadruples €120.
- Hotel Accursio, Viale Certosa, 88, ☎ +39 02 33001270, fax: +39 02 39217466. A small hotel, with only 28 rooms, but the location is convenient and the small breakfast service is nice.
- Hotel Bonola, Via Torrazza 15, ☎ +39 02 381 017 46, fax: +39 02 381 017 86. Hotel Bonola is close to the freeway exits (the Tangenziale Ovest exit "Viale Certosa" is 1 km away), "Rho-Pero", the new trade show center and Mazdapalace the historical trade show center. Singles from €40, Double from €60..
- Residenza Calvino Milan, Via Calvino, 21, ☎ +39 02 36579308, fax: +39 02 36579797. Residenza Calvino boasts 42 self-catering apartments for short vacations and stays. It is placed in the northern area of Milan. Services include the wi-fi internet connection, LCD TV, kitchen, bathroom and reception.
- Dieci Hotel Milan, Largo Rio de Janeiro, 12, ☎ +39 02 70608180, fax: +39 02 26684206. The Dieci is a four star hotel of Milan located close to the Piola Metro stop, in the north-east part of the city. The 29 guest rooms are divided in single, double and triple, with en-suite services, satellite TV, internet connection and mini bar. €150 for a double room, breakfast included..
- Hotel Florence, Piazza Aspromonte, 22, ☎ +39 02 2361125, fax: +39 02 26680911. The Hotel Florence is in northeastern Milan, easily reached from the Centrale station, with excellent public transport services (subway, street cars and buses) and full of attractions. Single rooms from €45, Doubles from €75.
- Hotel Abacus, Via Monte Grappa, 39, ☎ +39 02 26225858, fax: +39 02.26225860. Four-star hotel with a parking area, 5 meeting rooms, restaurant, wellness and fitness center.
- Hotel Cinque Giornate, Piazza Cinque Giornate 6, ☎ +39 02 5463433, fax: +39 02 5513611, e-mail: email@example.com. €250.
- Hotel Le Moran Milan, Viale Europa, 90, ☎ +39 02 90119894, fax: +39 02 9016207. Le Moran is a four star hotel of Milan. The 80 bedrooms can be booked as single, double, triple and quadruple. Services available include the en-suite bath, shower, Jacuzzi, satellite TV, internet connection, conference facilities and restaurant. Double room €99.
- Milan Suite Hotel, Via Varesina 124, ☎ +39 02 33431807. Modern four star hotel located in the north district, well connected to the city centre and Fiera Milano. 40 bedrooms divided in double for single use, suite and junior suite. All the rooms come with en-suite service and the breakfast included. Facilities include two meeting halls, private parking and limousine service. From €80..