Historically, Midland was an English-speaking community while Penetanguishine had a large French-speaking population. The communities reflect the heritage of both founding peoples; Midland has a rich history dating back to the first settlers in Ontario, who came and lived among the Huron aboriginal people in the 1600's.
- Sainte-Marie among the Hurons, ☎ +1 705 526-7838. Highway 12 East. May 19-Oct 7: open every day 10AM-5PM; Apr 30-May 18 and Oct 8-Nov 2: open M-F 10AM-5PM. A recreated 17th century French Jesuit mission headquarters, the site of the first European settlement in Ontario. Leashed pets permitted.
- Martyr's Shrine, the only national shrine outside of Quebec.
- Fred Lenz murals, various locations. Most prominent on silos at the harbour.
- Discovery Harbour, 93 Jury Drive, Penetanguishene, ☎ +1 705-549-8064. 10AM-5PM, May-Sept. The site of an 1812 fortress, this picturesque marine heritage site with 19 reconstructed buildings takes guests back to the 19th century days of Royal Navy sail on scenic Penetanguishene Bay. Visitors can chat with friendly interpreters aboard the magnificent replica schooners HMS Tecumseth and HMS Bee. The site also features beautiful boardwalks, the waterside restaurant Captain Roberts' Table and historic grounds. Discovery Harbour is also home to the King's Wharf Theatre.
- Midland 30000 Island cruise. Winds through islands, giving tourists some views of nature along the way.
- Wye Marsh Wildlife Center, 16160 Highway 12 East, ☎ +1 705 526-7809, fax: +1 705 526-3294. Year-round interpretive centre with trails (including cross-country ski trails). The huge marsh habitat provides cover for many birds, as well as beaver, porcupine, mink and river otter.
- Explorers Café, 345 King St. (just past the theatre), ☎ +1 705-527-9199. Noon-10pm Tue-Sat. Beautiful restaurant owned by explorers. $10-30.
Bed and Breakfast Inns
- Little Lake Inn, 669 Yonge St., ☎ +1 705-526-2750, toll-free: +1-888-297-6130.
- A Wymbolwood Beach House, 533 Tiny Beaches Rd. S Wymbolwood Beach, ☎ +1 705-361-3649, toll-free: +1-866-361-3649. Lakeside bed and breakfast.
- 1875 A Charters Inn Bed and Breakfast, 290 Second St., ☎ +1 705-527-1572, toll-free: +1-800-724-2979. Victorian inn, bilingual francophone, wi-fi, parking, veranda and patio.
Hotels and motels
- Super 8 Midland, 1144 Hugel Ave. (Hwy 12 to Hwy 93 north), ☎ +1 705-526-8288. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Limited-service hotel, breakfast included, indoor sport pool, hot tub and fitness room. $100.
- Awenda Provincial Park is one of most beautiful parts of Georgian Bay shore, with sand, cobble and boulder beaches in sheltered Methodist Point Bay. They are signs of a glaciated past. With incredible wildlife, natural wonders and spectacular views of Georgian Bay, Awenda offers visitors a "natural room with a view" - a natural environment paradise!
|Routes through Midland|
|END ←||W E||→ Waubaushene → Orillia|