Mexico State (Spanish: Estado de México), often referred to locally as Edomex (a contraction of the full Spanish name), is one of the federal entities of the country of the same name in Central Mexico, surrounding the Federal District and Mexico City on three sides.
- Toluca -- capital of the state
- Amecameca -- small town near the volcanoes Popocatepetl and Ixtaccihuatl
- Teotihuacan -- impressive pre-Columbian pyramids
This state contains both the upscale suburbs of Mexico city and also millions of people who live in shanties on the mountains surrounding the actual Mexico City.
- The flowered gondolas in the floating gardens of Xochimilco
- The Aqueduct of Padre Tembleque Hydraulic System, a UNESCO World Heritage site (partially located in Hidalgo)