To travel to Mestre you can fly to two different airports. Marco Polo in Venice is the closest, about 20 minutes from the train station in Mestre and you can take the ATVO flybus or line 5 every 10 minutes or so. Treviso airport is also nearby, approximately 50 minutes by bus.
Mestre's town center is pedestrianised and is therefore difficult to navigate in a car. There are bus links to all the local attractions and everything is within walking distance.
There are many well maintained bike lanes throughout Mestre
Mestre has several sights in the main piazza, Piazza Ferretto. There is a watchtower at the top of the piazza, and be sure to check out Teatro Toniolo, which is a beautiful theater.
Piazza Ferretto is a typically Italian piazza, with a modern water feature at the center and lots of different eateries with outside seating. It is also full of top end designer stores.
There are two local parks in Mestre which are worth visiting. The first is Parco San Giulliano, which is often used for outdoor concerts in the summer. Parco San Giulliano has a remarkable and unique view of Venice lagoon as it borders the Ponte della Liberta', which joins the Venetian islands with the mainland.
Parco Bissuola is another local park, offering good sport facilities and an outdoor pool.
Mestre is a very charming city, with its canal snaking across the center. There are plenty of gorgeous little streets to explore along the way.
Stretch your legs at the two main parks, Parco San Giulliano and Parco Bissuola. Each has good sport facilities, such as outdoor pools, basketball courts, skate rinks and running tracks. For those with children, there are play parks dotted around the city. There is also a mini train for children near the Le Barche shopping center.
Mestre has various different markets throughout the week, including ones specialising in fresh fruit and vegetables, clothes and even art.
Max out your credit card at one of the many designer stores in Mestre. There also is a very modern shopping center called 'Le Barche'.
There are lots of different restaurants and cafes throughout Mestre which have guaranteed good meals out.
Mestre is full of small family owned pasticcerie. In Piazza Ferretto, you can buy little miniature deserts, called mignon, which are delicious. Tramezzini — similar to sandwiches — are also very popular, There are places where you can chose from more than 30 different types. Brioche, with your morning espresso, is another staple found in Mestre. The pizza is typically Italian, thin and delicious. Being on the coast, fish is another important part of Mestre cuisine and there are always plenty to choose from in any restaurant (beware they sell fish by the weight, so in the menu if it says €5 for bass then that may mean for 100 grams, and end up costing near €30!).
- Pasticceria Serenissima, Via Miranese 186/H (Mestre, 200m far from the passby and 1 km far from the center of town.). A 30-year-old patisserie. Specialities: Hazelnut cakes, ice creams and Easter eggs.
Aperol is the liquor of choice. Orange-flavored, it is very popular in the form of a spritz, with prosecco and sparkling water added. Also coffee is typically Italian, strong and delicious.
- Camping Fusina, Via Moranzani, 93, Fusina, ☎ +39 041 5470543, e-mail: email@example.com. Camping at the mouth of Brenta River. 20 min away by ferry from historic Venice (ferry 16 Fusina - Zattere). The drawback is you can't stay too long in Venice proper, last ferry back is (in summer season) around 22.30. Person €10, tent €9, car €5, cabin for two €30.
- Camping Venezia Village, Via Orlanda, 8/c, ☎ +39 041 5312828, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Renovated in 2011, 100m from bus stop to Venice proper, bus every 15 minutes (lines 5 and 19) till around midnight. They advertise as "the nearest camping to Venice" (it's debatable). Person €9, 'place' on the camp €12 or 15.
- Camping Rialto, Via Orlanda 16, ☎ +39 041 5420295, e-mail: email@example.com. Pizzeria, WiFi. Adult €6, kid €4, car €4, tent €6, slightly more in July and August.
- Venice Lagoon House Via Tenda 11, Venezia (village Tessera). Just 1 km from Venice Airport - Info: Four-bed dorms from €25 per person.
- Al Piccolo Hotel, Via Trieste 2/H, ☎ +39 41 920632, fax: +39 41 920632, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hotel Delfino, ☎ +39 41 5496711, fax: +39 41 531 0601. C.so del Popolo 211. 4 star hotel with 126 rooms.
- Hotel Holiday, ☎ +39 41 611088, fax: +39 41 5347136. Via dell'essicatoio, 38. Free car parking. Double rooms starting from €70.
- Cà Nova Alloggi, ☎ +39 41 900033. Via Bagaron 1. Campalto. (On the road from Mestre to Venice airport).
- Hotel Casa a Colori. Via dei Frati 1, Dolo. An ancient monastery now a cosy hotel. Simple and elegant accommodation for any type of travellers. Gardens, peace, private free car parking, welcoming staff, close to the Brenta River and the Venetian Villas. Single rooms from €40, doubles from €62, including taxes and buffet breakfast.
- Antico Mulino Hotel, ☎ +39 041 5840700, fax: +39 041 5840347. Via Moglianese 37, Scorzè, 30037. Doubles starting from €75. An ancient mill on the river in the countryside.
- Casa Villa Gardenia, ☎ +39 041 5318288, fax: +39 041 5318283. Via Rizzardi 36/c, Marghera. The Hotel Alexander is in the most modern part of Mestre, near the city’s new business center. Doubles starting from €90.
- Hotel Altieri, Via Altinia 51, 30030 Favaro Veneto, ph +39 041 5010651 fax +39 041 631504 . In Mestre, 3 miles from the airport. Double room rates range from €110.
- Hotel Al Vivit, ☎ +39 041 951385, fax: +39 041 958891. P.zza Ferretto 73, 50127. It is an elegant hotel located in the Ferretto’s Square. Double room rates range from €89.
- Hotel Ducale, Via Triestina n° 5, 30030 Favaro Veneto, ph +39 041 631444 fax +39 041 631393 . Located 3 km from Venice Airport. Single rooms from €60, doubles from €70 and triples from €90 including taxes and breakfast.
- Hotel Elite, ☎ +39 041 5330740, fax: +39 041 5330730. Via Forte Marghera 119. In the center of Mestre. Easily reached from the train station and from the Venice airport. Single rooms from €45, doubles from €60 (depending on the season).
- Hotel Garibaldi, ☎ +39 041 5349362, fax: +39 041 5347565. V.le Garibaldi 24. Single room from €60, Double from €75.
- La Residenza Bed and Breakfast, Calle del Sale 33/a, ☎ +39 335 5475910, fax: +39 041 5042906. Bed & breakfast in the heart of Mestre, with its modest and friendly atmosphere, is a vacation location with the added convenience of arriving at your hotel by car.
- Hotel Roberta, Via Sernaglia 21, ☎ +39 041 929355, fax: +39 041 930983. Just a stroll from Mestre Station. Single from €40, double from €80.
- Hotel Trieste, Via Trento 2, ☎ +39 041 929462, fax: +39 041 922221. In front of Venice-Mestre railway station, completely renovated, with careful attention to detail. Single rooms from €50, doubles from €80.
- Villa Crispi Guesthouse, Via Francesco Crispi 20, ☎ +39 041 5349236, fax: +39 041 5349236. Single rooms from €70, doubles from €80 including taxes and breakfast.
In Mestre there are some night clubs: Molocinque at Marghera is the most popular (and, obviously the most expensive), Cielo at Tessera (next to the airport) is another club that warrants a visit.
Around the Venetian lagoon are other smaller islands, which have since been deserted but are worth a visit. There is also the Lido, which is a long narrow island with more modern buildings, hosting a youth hostel and a hotel.
- Venice— The main island (regional train to Venice Santa Lucia costs €1.20).
- The Lido— Famous Venice beaches.
- Murano— Nearby Island with typical glass.
- Burano— Nearby Island with typical textiles and painted houses.
- San Lazzaro— Nearby Island with Armenian monastery and impressive art collection, some world class pieces.
- Jesolo— Jesolo is one of the most important beaches in Italy, just 45' from Venice by car or by boat (ferry from Treporti to Venice).