Mesquite is a city in Clark County, in Southern Nevada. Located about 80 miles northeast of Las Vegas, it is located immediately on the Nevada-Arizona border, near Utah. The town is situated on the north bank of the Virgin River, with the smaller settlement of Bunkerville on the south side of the river. In recent years, Mesquite has become southern Nevada's latest boomtown, luring both tourists and permanent residents. Latest estimates have the town's population between 15,000 and 18,000 people, and still rapidly growing. Its biggest industry is tourism.
- Interstate 15 has two exits (#120 and #122) for Mesquite. The town has built up around the freeway and is a favorite "truck stop" for all sorts of travelers. It is the only significant population center on the freeway between Las Vegas and St. George.
- Mesquite Airport (IATA: MFH), 2mi (3km) north of town. Commercial travelers are probably better off flying to McCarran Airport in Las Vegas.
- Virgin River Gorge. Worth a short drive into Utah. Beware of dangerous curves and, at times, low visibility, but when conditions are clear, the drive is amazing. Take Interstate 15 north through a small sliver of Arizona, then into Utah for more of nature's wonder.
Because of its longtime function as a highway stop, fast food is very common in Mesquite. All varieties are available, including McDonald's, Del Taco, Dairy Queen, Jack In The Box, and KFC.
Mesquite has become less of a "stop" and more of a destination in recent years, so more fine dining establishments should become available in the years to come. Most casinos offer a typical Vegas-style low-cost buffet.
- There are several major resort casinos in Mesquite. The first of these was the Peppermill, now known as Oasis. Now closed due to economic pressures, and mostly demolished.
- Other resort casinos include Casablanca, (built by Merv Griffin), Virgin River (home of the local movie theater and bowling alley), Eureka, and Falcon Ridge.
- St. George - 30 miles northeast of Mesquite. Traveling to St. George via Interstate 15 offers some spectacular scenery in the Virgin River Gorge.
- Las Vegas - 80 miles southwest of Mesquite.
- Zion National Park - Zion, Bryce Canyon, and other natural wonders are within easy reach of Mesquite.
|Routes through Mesquite|
|Salt Lake City ← St. George ←||N S||→ North Las Vegas → Las Vegas|