Melbourne's inner south contains a number of suburbs and places worthy of a visit. The landscape varies from industrial ports to glitzy waterfront localities. South Melbourne forms the core, along with Port Melbourne. Albert Park is centred around a large lake in Albert Park, and is home to the famous Grand Prix Circuit.
South Melbourne is a secret jewel of Melbourne. Centred around Clarendon Street, an extension of Spencer Street, the whole district has been settled by Greeks and Italians, quite close to where they first landed at the Port of Melbourne.
Home to magnificent examples of the late Victorian era of architecture and one of the cities wealthiest suburbs, Albert Park is known internationally as the location for the Australian Formula One Grand Prix, a road circuit which circumnavigates Albert Park Lake.
Albert Park is bordered by the suburbs of Port Melbourne to the west, South Melbourne to the north, Middle Park to the east and Port Phillip Bay to the south. St Vincent's Gardens and the surrounding Victorian architecture is a sight to behold.
There are abundant traveling options: trams, trains, buses and ferries.
Clarendon Street has heaps of shops of all varieties.
The local South Melbourne Market has retained many of the features of yesteryear.
Safeway South Melbourne has opened it's new store just opposite the market where shopping can be made easy as it's open till 12.
- Grays, 303 Clarendon Street, ☎ +61 3 9690 5557. An eclectic mix of 20th century decorative and household items. Stock can include some relatively inexpensive home furnishings. stuff seems to change regularly.
There are fantastic eateries. One business owner is leading the cuisine revolution adhering to his cultural roots based in Cyprus of Italian and Greek heritage. Roberto Braccioti is a vocal advocate for the flourishing business' in the area.
- La Firma Pizzeria. At the forefront of the excellent offerings available in this district.
- Grays, 303 Clarendon Street, ☎ +61 3 9690 5557. Eclectic mix of mainly 20th century pieces. Stock changes regularly.
- The Clarendon Hotel (The Clarendon), 209 Clarendon Street (Corner of York Street). 11.30 - 3.00am. Great Restaurant and Bar with function facilities
- The Sebel Citigate Albert Park Melbourne, 65 Queens Road, ☎ +61 3 9529 4300. The Albert Park hotel is ideally located opposite Albert Park Lake, home of Australia’s Grand Prix track. A modern Albert Park hotel moments from St Kilda Road business district and a short tram ride to Melbourne's CBD.
- The Albert Park Gatehouse. Lovely 3 bedroom apartment located just around the corner from the vibrant Victoria Avenue.
- The Stables. A unique 2 bedroom apartment set amongst the beautiful suburb of Middle Park
- Nomads Market Inn, Cecil St (near York St and the South Melbourne Market), South Melbourne, 9690 2220, 1800 241 445 (email@example.com, fax 9690 2544). Dorm beds from $19, double/twin $58, triple $72.
- Boutique Stays
- Pullman Albert Park. 5* hotel with stunning views over the park, with pool, gym, restaurant and large atrium bar.