Frankston is a town 40km from Melbourne on the edge of Port Phillip Bay often referred to as the "Gateway to the Mornington Peninsula". Frankston is where the electric train line terminates. If you are a backpacker heading to the Mornington Peninsula, French Island or Phillip Island chances are you're going to go through Frankston. It has a beautiful beach, many restaurants, bars and shops.
Frankston is home to several festivals;
- Waterfront Festival in January.
- Ventana Fiesta, a Latin American, Portuguese and Spanish festival in March.
- Pets Day Out in October.
- Festival of Lights in late November.
A Sand Sculpting display runs from December to April.
- Frankston Visitor Information Centre, 7N Pier Promenade, Frankston Waterfront, ☎ +61 3 9768-1444, fax: +61 3 9768 1433, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 781 bus from Mt Martha via Mt Eliza, Mornington.
- 782 bus from Flinders via Coolart Road, Hastings.
- 783 bus from Hastings via Coolart Road.
- 782/783 combined from Hastings/Flinders via Coolart Road.
- 788 bus from Portsea via Dromana, Rosebud, Sorrento.
- 901 bus from Melbourne airport.
- Frankston and Peninsula Airport Shuttle - a much faster more expensive option than the 901 bus.
- Frankston Arts Centre, Davey Street, Frankston, ☎ +61 3 9784-1060, fax: +61 3 9784 1766, e-mail: email@example.com.
- Frankston Library, 60 Playne St, Frankston, ☎ +61 3 9784-1020, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Books, CD's, DVD's, Kids Storytime, Internet.
- McClelland Gallery & Sculpture Park, 360 - 390 McClelland Drive, Langwarrin, ☎ +61 3 9789-1671, e-mail: email@example.com. Tuesday to Sunday 10am-5pm Closed on Mondays and some Public Holidays.
- Barefoot Bowls, Cnr Yuille & William Streets, ☎ +61 3 9783-2877. Every Friday evening at 6.00pm [weather permitting] until dusk, during daylight savings. It’s a fun night for families and a sausage sizzle is included. $8.00 per adult and $2.00 for children.
- Overport Park Tennis Club, Corner Overport & Somerset Roads, ☎ +61 3 9787-4113, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cycling. There are several bicycle paths around Frankston, the longest follows the train line from Frankston to Baxter
- PARC - Peninsula Aquatic Recreation Centre, Cnr Cranbourne Rd & Olive Grove (next to Frankston Skatepark), ☎ +61 3 9781-8444, e-mail: email@example.com. Pools, water slides, gym. Prices vary depending on time and what services you'll be using.
- Upper Sweet Water Creek Reserve.
- Seaford Skate Park, 50R Railway Parade, Seaford.
- Seaford BMX Racing Track, Old Wells Road, Seaford.
- Seaford Farmers Market, Station Street, Seaford (adjacent to the Seaford Community Centre). The third Sunday of each month from 8:00am to 1:00pm. Fresh produce.
- Frankston Sunday Market, Young Street, Frankston, ☎ +61 3 9462 1520. Sundays 8:00am to 1:00pm. Art and craft, plants, second hand goods, jam donuts. Entry $1.00.
- Kasturi Indian Restaurant, Shop 5, 20A Beach Street, Frankston, ☎ +61 3 9770 5505, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Dinner: 5pm to 10.30pm 7 Days, Lunch: 12pm to 2.30pm Thur and Fri.
- Los Argentinos Charcoal Grill Restaurant, 14 Beach Street, Frankston, ☎ +61 3 9783 7882. Dinner daily 5pm=11pm, Lunch Saturday and Sunday 1pm-3pm.
- Flanagans, 508 Nepean Highway, Frankston, ☎ +61 3 9783-9800.
- Epiphany nightclub, 480 Nepean Highway, Frankston, ☎ +61 3 9770-6000.
- Grand Hotel, 499 Nepean Highway, Frankston, ☎ +61 3 9783-7388.
- Pint & Pickle Tavern, 448A Nepean Highway, Frankston, ☎ +61 3 9770 2880.
- Robin Hood Tavern, 506 Nepean Highway, Frankston, ☎ +61 3 9770 2055.
- Shakespeare's Tavern, 101 Young Street, Frankston, ☎ +61 3 9781 2266, e-mail: email@example.com. Lunch & Dinner 7 days a week. Live Music Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun nights. Artwork from local artists on display.
- Strike Bowling Bar, Wells St, Frankston, ☎ 1300 787 453 (local rate). 10am-late. Ten Pin Bowling. Thursday's Drink 2 Bowl deal offers a free game with any drink purchased.
- TwentyFirst Century, ☎ +61 3 9783 7311.
- BIG4 Frankston Holiday Park, 2 Robinsons Road, Frankston (Cnr Frankston-Flinders & Robinsons Rds), ☎ +61 3 5971 2333. Camp site for two adults $33 - $39.
Frankston station serves as a transit hub for bus and train services.
- Flinders - Bus 782 Frankston - Flinders via Coolart Road, Hastings.
- Melbourne - By Train.
- Melbourne Airport - 901 Bus or Airport Shuttle - a much faster more expensive option than the 901 bus.
- Mount Martha - Take the 781 bus via Mt Eliza and Mornington.
- Portsea - Take the 788 bus via Dromana, Rosebud and Sorrento.
- Stony Point - Take the train to Stony Point where ferry's leave for French Island and Phillip Island.