State Highway 2 passes through the middle of Masterton en route between Wellington and the Hawke's Bay. There is a signposted heavy traffic bypass for those passing through and wanting to avoid central Masterton.
Distance and times (non-stop):
- Wellington - 100 km (1hr 30min)
- Palmerston North - 110 km (1hr 25mins)
- Hastings - 210 km (2hr 30min)
- Auckland - 610 km (7hr 15min)
Metlink train services run between Wellington and Masterton five times daily on weekdays and twice daily on weekends each way. Purchase tickets at the Wellington or Masterton station ticket office (if it is open) or on the train. There are no reserved seats but there is a luggage compartment and bicycles can be carried. In Masterton, the train also stops at Renall Street and Solway stations. The adult fare is $18 one way, with discounts available for same day return fares and group travel if purchased together.
A regular public bus service operating six days a week (no service Sunday or public holidays) connects Masterton with Carterton, Greytown, Featherston and Martinborough to the south. Tranzit Coachlines operates a bus service between Palmerston North and Masterton five times per week.
There is currently no air services serving Masterton, after Air New Zealand Link cancelled the Mastterton-Auckland service in February 2014. Alternatively, you can fly to Wellington or Palmerston North and drive/bus/train to Masterton.
- Acorn Estate Motel, Cnr High & Manchester Streets, ☎ +64 6 377 0155, toll-free: 0800 222 191, fax: +64 6 377 0154, e-mail: email@example.com. 11 Smoke free self contained suites with full cooking facilities & Sky TV. Access units available. Guest laundry, BBQ, swimming pool, private spa, playground, trampoline, wireless internet. Continental & cooked breakfasts available. A member of the Host Accommodation group. Qualmark 3 star plus self contained and serviced. $99 - $145.