- There's a train that goes to Mariestad. See SJ for more information.
- Säfflebussen (in Swedish and Norwegian only) stops at the Mariestad bus station with the lines 201 and 203 (Uddevalla-Vänersborg-Trollhättan-Lidköping-Mariestad-Örebro).
- Swebus Express makes a stop in Mariestad with the buses 801 (Gothenburg-Mariestad-Örebro-Stockholm) and 839 (Karlstad-Mariestad-Jönköping).
- Vänern - the biggest freshwater lake in Europe. Nice boats, and supposedly a lot of Swedish tourists in summer.
- Mariestad Cathedral
Go swimming, rent a bike, or have some other fun. On Saturdays, there's a market at the main square.
- There's a fine coffeeshop with great blueberry-vanilla sauce cakes, right at the main street.
- The Pizzeria can not really be recommended, but it's cheap and ok food.
- STF Vandrarhem Mariestad, ☎ +46 501-104 48. Hamngatan 20. Definitely sleep at the youth hostel. It's cheap, it's fun, and it has a truly nice setting close to the lake. Moreover, it's several great old wooden houses grouped together in a nice courtyard! If you don't stay there, have a look at it!
Stadshotellet Mariestad, Nygatan 10, +46 501-138 00 (fax: +46 501-776 40).
|Routes through Mariestad|
|Göteborg ← Alingsås ←||W E||→ Örebro → Stockholm|