Mariana

Churches in Mariana

Mariana is a colonial mining town in Minas Gerais.

Understand

Mariana, originally known as Nossa Senhora do Carmo, came into existence with the discovery of gold along the Ribeirão Nossa Senhora do Carmo river in 1696. Known informally as the Primeira Cidade (First City), it is indeed a city of firsts: It was the first vila established in the state and soon became the first state capital, and a major center for the burgeoning gold trade. In 1745, the Portuguese king, Dom João V, renamed the city after his wife, Maria Ana D'Austria. Around the same time, the city became the seat of the first bishopric in the state and hence became an important religious center for the region. In response to the influx of people, streets and rectangular plazas were planned, making Mariana the first planned city in the state. These days, Mariana preserves many of the original colonial buildings and churches in such a thorough way that the traveller almost feels he has stepped back in time.

Get in

By plane

The nearest convenient airport is located in Belo Horizonte.

By bus

See

Casa da Câmara e Cadeia


Museums

Churches

Igreja de São Pedro dos Clérigos

Do

Events

Tours

Eat

Drink

Sleep

Many of the accommodations in town are within a short walk of Praça Tancredo Neves.

Connect

Internet cafés

Go next

This article is issued from Wikivoyage - version of the Thursday, July 31, 2014. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.