Makawao is a town on the island of Maui in the state of Hawai'i, United States of America. Pronounced MAH-kah-wow and meaning "Eye of the Forest," Makawao is one of four towns (the others are Ha'iku, Pukalani and Kula) that make up the semi-ambiguous region known as "Upcountry."
As Makawao marks the start of a vast expanse of jungle-like rainforests that wrap around the north and east sides of Maui, it is naturally wet and cool. Average temperatures are generally 5 to 10 degrees below those at sea-levels or in Kahului. Makawao is known for its cowboy culture, incredibly eclectic mix of residents, uniquely laid-back and liberal character and delicious local eateries. During World War II and the two decades that followed it, Makawao was host to a famed USO club as well as a local population of active military personnel, many of whom were stationed at the nearby 4th Marine Infantry Division in neighboring Ha'iku.
Kahului Airport (IATA: OGG) is the main airport for the island of Maui, and the second largest commercial airport in the state. It is a secondary hub for Hawaiian Airlines, which provides interisland service to Kahului from the other major airports in the state. Several major U.S. airlines also provide non-stop service to Maui from the West Coast and beyond.
Other airports on Maui include the Ka'anapali Airport located outside of Lahaina, serving the west side of the island, and Hana Airport located in Hana, serving the eastern part of the island. (Generally, it is far less expensive to fly into Maui via Kahului Airport rather than into Hana or Ka'anapali Airport, however travel between these three airports as a means of travel around the island can offer an inexpensive alternative to car rentals if done at the right time of year.)
To get to Makawao, exit the airport and follow the signs toward Haleakala Highway. Once on Haleakala Highway, travel up the mountain, turning left onto Makawao Avenue after approximately 7.5 miles and following Makawao Ave until you reach Makawao town, about a mile down the road.
Seeing Makawao is easy, as the town is mostly comprised of the intersection of Baldwin and Makawao Ave. Makawao is an old Paniolo (cowboy) town and much of its history is reflected in the architecture and feel - even today you can find horse-hitching posts scattered around the town. Highlights of Makawao include The Makawao Steak House, a popular local restaurant (order their Kalaheo cut, a 24oz cut of bone-in prime rib), Pollis, the local watering hole and Mexican restaurant, Casanova's, the towns' Italian restaurant and Upcountry's nightlife epicenter and Komoda's Bakery (home of the famous stick donut). Visitors should walk from Makawao Ave down Baldwin Ave, perusing the many shops and local businesses that give the town its unique character.
- Altitude, 660 Baldwin Ave, ☎ +1 808-573-4733.
- Maui Master Jewelers, 3655 Baldwin Ave, ☎ +1 808-573-5400.
- Maui Riders Clothing Co., 3619 Baldwin Ave, ☎ +1 808-573-2320.
- The Mercantile, 3673 Baldwin Ave, ☎ +1 808-572-1407.
- Oh Baby, 1160 Makawao Ave, ☎ +1 808-572-6477.
- Supernatural, 3682 Baldwin Ave (corner of Makawao Ave), ☎ +1 808-573-2385.
- Tropo, 3643 Makawao Ave, ☎ +1 808-573-0356.
- Upcountry Legends, 3620 Makawao Ave, ☎ +1 808-573-3523.
- Jewels of the Lotus, 3682 Makawao Ave, ☎ +1 808-572-0752.
- Pink by Nature, 3663 Baldwin Ave, ☎ +1 808-572-9576.
- Hurricane, 3639 Baldwin Ave, ☎ +1 808-572-5076.
- Anuhea Flowers, 3643 B Baldwin Ave, ☎ +1 808-572-6877.
- Collections, 3677 Baldwin Ave, ☎ +1 808-572-0781.
- Country Bouquets, 1043 Makawao Ave #209A, ☎ +1 808-572-6928.
- Cuckoo for Coconuts, 1158 Makawao Ave, ☎ +1 808-573-6887.
- Designing Wahine, 3620 Baldwin Ave #102, ☎ +1 808-573-0990.
- Gecko Trading Co. Boutique, 3621 Baldwin Ave, ☎ +1 808-572-0249.
- Goodies, 3633 Baldwin Ave, ☎ +1 808-572-0288.
- H.I. Hearth & Leisure, 3640 Baldwin Ave, ☎ +1 808-572-4569.
- Beads Here Now, 3682 Makawao Ave, ☎ +1 808-572-0752.
- Cafe del Sol, 3620 Baldwin Ave, ☎ +1 808-572-4877.
- Casanova, 1188 Makawao Ave, ☎ +1 808-572-0220.
- Kitada's Restaurant, 3617 Baldwin Ave, ☎ +1 808-572-7241.
- Makawao Garden Cafe, 3669 Baldwin Ave, ☎ +1 808-573-9065.
- Makawao Steak House, 3612 Baldwin Ave, ☎ +1 808-572-8711.
- Pizza Fresh, 1043 Makawao Ave #103, ☎ +1 808-572-2000.
- Polli's Restaurant, 1202 Makawao Ave, ☎ +1 808-572-0080.
- Stopwatch Sports Bar & Grill, 1127 Makawao Ave, ☎ +1 808-572-1380.
- Jahwaiian Dreams, 3567 Baldwin Av. Lovely eco-friendly cottage.
- Banyan Tree House (Banyan Bed and Breakfast), 3265 Baldwin Ave (1 mile north on Baldwin Ave from center of Makawao), ☎ +1 808 572 9021. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. The Banyan Tree House with upcountry cottages and suites offers a central location in a shady, quiet retreat. Close, yet removed from the beachfront crowds. Giant banyan, monkeypod and jacaranda trees create a peaceful, shady oasis amidst the fruit trees, flowers and sunny, wide open lawns. Several swings and hammocks hang from the trees offering comfortable private places around the two acre property. The swimming pool and jacuzzi is the private use of the guests. A continental breakfast featuring fresh fruit, muffin and juice is served. $145-175.