|Daily highs (°F)||54||61||67||74||83||90||96||95||89||79||65||54|
|Nightly lows (°F)||37||39||43||47||53||59||63||62||57||48||41||36|
Data from NOAA (1981-2010)
Take Amtrak to Madera, but do it in the daylight for your health. Enjoy a scenic trip through the Delta and beyond, and just when you think you can't go any farther, don't fall asleep, here's Madera.
- Amtrak Station - Avenue 15 1/2 at 29th Road. No payphone, no station attendant, no bathroom.
Most drivers in Madera don't carry insurance. Just remember that.
- Dolphin Taxi - 219 E Yosemite Ave Ste B, (559) 661-2006
- Madera Taxi - 123 N E St Ste 103, (559) 674-2411
Madera is often considered the gateway to the Sierras. Boasting a vibrant Latino community, Madera is also home to many factory farms and almond groves.
- MADERA VINTNERS ASSOCIATION Wine Trail Weekend - May 17th & 18th, 2008 10AM - 5PM - Ficklin Vineyards - 30246 Avenue 7 1/2
- Orchard Site Seeing - When the orchards are in bloom in late January to early March, take a drive down the backroads into what appears to be a sea of clouds in a pure blue sky: almond orchards as far as the eye can see.
- Cockfighting - Cockfighting is an extremely popular local past-time, albeit illegal. Many locals will let you in on the secret, as long as you don't look like a federale.
- Mercey Hot Springs (the back way) - While not actually located in Madera, this natural hot springs hideaway is a local's paradise. Take Avenue 12 to Firebaugh, then left on Nees, left on Russell, right on Shields. Pass over the I-5, and Shields turns into Panoche Pass Rd. About 13 miles into the hills, you'll see a sign on the right hand side. Turn in and enjoy an off the grid hot spring resort, with little fuss, some rust on the tubs and no hippies.
- Cole's Books and Bagels - 1516 Howard Rd. Read the latest collection of speeches by Noam Chomsky or check out a top ten thriller while snacking on a bagel and soaking up what little art and culture this dusty small town has to offer.
- TECO Farm Supply - One of the West's last farm supply stores, this store recently switched to carrying primarily hardware. You can still get a feel for what it used to be like, driving up in the Model T and picking up a can of dewormer for the cows.
- Organic Pastures - 7221 South Jameson Avenue. 1-877-RAWMILK. 20 minutes outside of Madera, CA is Organic Pastures, California's last and only raw milk dairy. Constantly battling the FDA in court about the virtues of unpasteurized dairy products, the owners are a family farm who are passionate about raw milk. You can buy fresh cold just milked milk and dairy products right from the farm itself.
- Pilot Travel Center #365 - 22717 Avenue 18 1/2. You'll love the microwave burritos and 2 for 1 hotdogs at the Pilot. If you're looking for something a bit spicier, out in the parking lot you'll find the local working ladies. They pack a punch.
- Holiday Inn Express, 2290 Marketplace Dr., ☎ +1 559 661-7400.
- Motel 6, 22683 Avenue 18 1/2, ☎ +1 559 675-8697, fax: +1 559 662-8938.
- SpringHill Suites Madera, 1219 E Almond Ave (Right off The 99 To your Left), ☎ +1 559 664 9800. 99.00 (USD).
|Routes through Madera|
|Sacramento ← Chowchilla ←||N S||→ Fresno → Bakersfield|
|Sacramento / Emeryville ← Merced ←||N S||→ Fresno → Bakersfield|