Lapu-Lapu is an island city of Cebu Province in the Philippines, part of Metro Cebu. It includes most of Mactan Island (the rest is the municipality of Cordova) plus some smaller nearby islands, notably Olango Island.
Arriving by air, one lands in Lapu-Lapu. By sea or land, most passengers arrive in Cebu City.
The airport fee is now included in the ticket price.
The Mactan-Cebu International Airport (IATA: CEB) is located in Lapu-Lapu. For international flights, this is the second most important airport in the country after Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila, and many fliers find it considerably easier to go through than Manila. Passport control and baggage handling at Mactan-Cebu are generally fast and efficient. There are also many domestic flights.
Facilities and amenities include a shopping center, duty-free shop, souvenir shops, cafés, business centers, food shops, communication facilities, banking facilities, car rentals, hotel and resort reservations, and beauty & health services.
International flights (all one flight daily each way per airline, unless otherwise specified) include:
- Hong Kong: Cathay Pacific, Philippine Airlines and Cebu Pacific
- Singapore: Tiger Airways, Silkair and Cebu Pacific
- Tokyo: Philippine Airlines, daily except Mondays
- Seoul: Air Asia daily; Philippine Airlines, Korean Air, Asiana, and Cebu Pacific each several times a week
- Busan: Air Asia, Jin Air
- Kuala Lumpur: Air Asia, three times a week
- Taipei: twice a week on China Airlines / Mandarin Airlines
- Dubai: on Emirates
- Los Angeles: Philippine Airlines, three times a week
There are also quite a few charter flights, often used as part of packaged holiday deals. Countries they come from include South Korea, Japan, China, Russia and the USA.
The list above is for direct flights to Mactan-Cebu. Other flights (for example, from Beijing and Shanghai) reach Cebu via Manila; there are more than 20 flights daily between the two cities. However, many fliers prefer to avoid Manila airport if possible.
There are also flights to Cebu from Clark International airport, near Angeles with Cebu Pacific three times a week, and Clark has many flights on low-cost airlines to Macau,Singapore Hong Kong, and other points.
Mactan-Cebu airport is also a major hub for domestic flights with close to 60 flights daily to and from cities such as Manila, Kalibo, Puerto Princesa, Boracay, Clark (just near Angeles City), Siargao (Surigao), Zamboanga, Davao, Bacolod, Iloilo, Cagayan de Oro, Cotabato, Camiguin, General Santos, and Tacloban, among others.
Note that some domestic flights, particularly on the cheaper airlines, allow only carry-on luggage; there is no provision for checking baggage.
Getting to or from the airport
The airport is on Mactan Island in Lapu-Lapu city. It takes about 40-60 min to get to the actual city of Cebu. From the Airport you will need to hire a taxi or take a Jeepney. If you are staying at one of the nicer hotels they usually can send a free van to pick you up at airport. If you forgot to ask for this you may find that the van of your hotel is there to pick someone else up and you can hitch a ride if there is room. Taxi to town runs from about ₱250 to over 400, depending mainly on traffic, but are the only option at night.
Getting to Cebu city center by jeepney and ferry is the cheapest way. This trip requires two steps:
- Take the yellow multi-cab (similar to a jeepney) in front of the International Departure Hall to the "Lapu-Lapu pier" It is a ride of about 20 minutes. ₱8.
- Take a ferry from Lapu-Lapu pier to Cebu city pier 3. in the day time departs every 20 mins and takes 20 mins. (₱15 + ₱1 port fee). the total cost from the airport to Cebu is only ₱24.
It may not be practical to attempt this trip with a lot of luggage as space in the jeepneys is very limited and it can get very crowded. A smaller backpack is fine, though.
Lapu-Lapu is part of Metro Cebu, and so is Cebu City which has the the largest and busiest port in the country. From there you can take a taxi to Lapu-Lapu for ₱200-300. Or take a ferry from Pier 3 to Lapu-Lapu pier which costs only ₱16. They depart every 20 minutes and the trip takes 20 minutes.
The simplest way to get around is by hopping on a tricycle or multicab (small jeepney). Taxi is also available for a comfortable trip. Note: Always ask for taxi meter if you opt to pay by meter. Currently, flagdown rate is at PhP40.00 and PhP3.50 per succeeding 200 meters and PhP3.50 per waiting time of two minutes. Drivers however may bargain if they notice that you are a tourist, hence the cost of the trip may double in price. However, you have the option not to agree and may report such to local authorities. If you know the name of the building, establishment, area or street you wish you reach, this is still the fastest way to get to your destination.
If you opt for more adventure, then do as the locals and catch a colorful jeepney. Simply ask around for which route to take. They are available 24 hours and cover most of the nooks and crannies of the city. This is the cheapest option for getting around for as low as PhP8.00.
- Lapu-Lapu Monument, Lapu-Lapu, Mactan Island. Lapu-Lapu was a local hero who fought Ferdinand Magellan during the historic Mactan Landing in 1521. A small marker to Magellan is nearby.
A few minutes' walk away from the statue is Shangri-La Mactan Hotel Resort and Spa, which is a tourist spot in its own right. The compound is a large park where visitors (even if they don't stay in the hotel) can roam the huge reception and its environs. Check out the beach, the chapel, the spa and the various restaurants.
The area has several fine dive sites. There are several dive operators that can serve your needs. You may do shore entry in few areas but most dive sites can be reached by boat. You can go to Kontiki, Talima, Tinggo, Hilutungan (sanctuary), Nalusuan (sanctuary), Shangri-la, Cordova and more. From Mactan, you can also hire an outrigger (boat) to take you to Cabilao or Balicasag, on Bohol.
- Beach bumming in white sand beaches like Shangrila, Plantation Bay, Blue Waters, White Sands, Tambuli Beach Club
For some of the best Mongolian Stir Fried Noodles in Lapu Lapu and other menu items for the best prices (nothing over 140 pesos per order) in town try the Woka Woka Restaurant located in Masiwa Marigondon Near the Bays Water Sub division Hours are from 11AM till 9PM daily
- The Jungle Restaurant and Entertainment, Bagumbayan, Maribago (Close to White Sands beach resort), ☎ +63 32 238 8641. 12PM until 12AM. Filipino and international food with a cultural show involving dances from Philippines, Korea, Japan, India, Hawaii, and many other countries. The best is our Fire Dancers. Open 7 days a week with lunch show at 12:30, and dinner shows at 6:30, 8, 10PM. P250 and up.
- Banana Moon, Lapu Lapu, Basak. A Mexican themed restaurant/cantina.The quality is superb and the prices are reasonable. Located between the Mactan Doctors Hospital and the Gaisano Grand Mall.
Travelers can find budget rooms and apartments in Lapu-Lapu City for adventure visit and budget trip. There are places to stay as low as US$100 for one week.
- Cebu Residencia Lourdes, ☎ +63 322362446. Cebu Residencia Lourdes is just 10 minutes from the beaches and very near Mactan International Airport. It is 3km away to the Mactan beaches, Lapu-Lapu Monument, and Mactan Shrine. Their facilities includes Internet access on rooms, dry cleaning / laundry services, and restaurant / cafe / bar. Room rates starts at Php 950.00. Best rates on official website start at Php950.00.
- GV Hotel, GY dela serna St, ☎ +63 32-495-4388. a/c single/double rooms with own bathroom and cable TV. single 475. double 675..
- Talima Beach Villas and Dive Resort, ☎ +63 922-8513360. Talima Beach Villas and Dive Resort is located at Cebu, Philippines. It offers air-conditioned contemporary designed rooms. Some of its amenities include infinity swimming pool, beach cabanas and sun decks, and dive center. While staying here, you can visit some interesting places like fish sanctuary, bird sanctuary, and Hilutangan Channel reefs and marine sanctuaries. Best rates on official website start at PHP 1.800,00.
- Cebu Hilton Resort and Spa, Punta Engano road.
- Crown Regency Suites Mactan, Maximo Patalinhug Jr. Ave, ☎ +63 32-341-4586 to 94, fax: +63 32-341-4595. A/C suites with kitchen, in-room broadband internet access, and television with cable. From US$73.77.
- Lancaster Hotels Cebu Brgy. Pusok, Mactan Island, Lapu-Lapu City. Like its sister hotel in Mandaluyong City, Lancaster Cebu provides suites fully furnished with a private kitchen and personalized service most suitable for long-staying business travelers.
- Cebu Yacht Club - Island Village, ☎ +63 323402939. Is located at the Mactan Export Processing Zone. They're close to shopping malls and restaurants, and a comfortable 500 m from Mactan International Airport. It's only 6 km away from the The University of San Carlos Museum, and only 4 km away from the Mactan Shrine. All of their cottage-style studios, suites, and villas are furnished with a deck/ balcony, mini-bar, microwave oven, writing desk and chair, refrigerator, and private bathroom. Rates starts at Php 2000++ Best rates on official website start at Php2,000.00++.
- EGI Club Cebu, ☎ +63 32 232-3111 to 15. EGI Club Cebu is a three-star beach resort on Mactan Island. It's location is close to Basilica Minore del Santo Niño, Lapu-lapu Monument, Magellan's Cross, and Taoist Temple.It offers 120 air-conditioned rooms, all of which have an Internet access, double bed, IDD phone, mini-bar, and refrigerator. Their facilities includes swimming pool, fitness center, and function/ meeting rooms. Room rates starts at Php3,400.00. Best rates on official website start at Php 3,400.00++.
- The Bellavista Hotel, ☎ +63 32 340-7821. Situated in Mactan Island, midtown Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu Province, our three-star hotel is only 0.8 km from the Mactan Export Processing Zone and approximately 1 km from the Mactan International Airport. Our air-conditioned guestrooms come in different types: Deluxe Twin, Deluxe Queen, Executive, Junior Suite, and The Channel and Infanta Suites. M.L Quezon National Highway, Pusok, Lapu-Lapu City 6015, Mactan, Cebu, Philippines. Rates start at PHP 2,684.
The immigration department has an office in Gaisano Mall where a visa extension can be obtained if required.
- Cebu City is only a taxi ride (about 45 minutes and ₱300-odd) away. Mandaue is in between.
- Olango Island is just off the coast of Lapu Lapu; it has good diving and a wildlife sanctuary with many birds.