- Lublin — the biggest city and capital, it has a well-preserved old town with typical Polish and unusual Renaissance architecture, the so called Lublin Renaissance
- Chełm — Baroque town in the Lublin Voivodeship with underground routes beneath the market square
- Kazimierz Dolny — Renaissance town with beautiful market square at the Vistula
- Krasnobród — spa in the Roztocze area
- Nałęczów — spa near Kazimierz Dolny
- Włodawa — Baroque town in the Lublin Voivodeship at the Bug River
- Zamość — perl of the late Renaissance and Mannerist architecture of the perfect humanist, its old town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Polesie — one of the largest European swampy areas, a small part of it is in Poland
- Poleski National Park — national park protecting the wide life of the swamps in Podlesie
- Roztocze National Park — national park protecting the wide life of the river Tanew
In the early middle ages the region of Lublin was on the borderland between the Kingdom of Poland and Ruthenia. Later, it became part of Lesser Poland which was the major part of Poland since the Polish capital was moved from Gniezno to Kraków in 1040. Lublin played an important part in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, as it was here, that the Union of 1569 was signed, the constitution of the Commonwealth. The highest court of the Commonwealth was also situated in Lublin since th 1580s. During the Renaissance a unique and beautiful kind of architecture developed in this region, the so called Lublin Renaissance. Beautiful castles and palaces and whole cities ware built in the 16th and 17th century in the region of Lublin. Also the greatest Polish Renaissance poets and writers came from this region. After the Third Partition of Poland in 1795 most of its territory was annexed by Austria, but became independent as part of the Duchy of Warsaw between 1807-1815. After the Congress of Vienna it became part of the Kingdom of Poland, ruled by the Russian Tsar. After World War I the region of Lublin became part of the Second Polish Republic, but was occupied by Nazi-Germany between 1939 and 1944, when it was part of the German Generalgovernement. After World War II it again became part of Poland. Nowadays it is situated quite in the east of Poland, although it was a central Polish region in the time of the Commonwealth.
Lublin opened its own airport in December 2012, with a train station inside the airport terminal providing quick and easy access to Lublin's rail network. However, destinations are so far limited, with routes to Dublin, Oslo and London available so far, and a route to Liverpool opening in April 2013.
Poland, and Eastern Poland in particular, has an undeserved reputation for criminal activity. However, a traveler will find most Poles in the Lublin area to be extremely helpful and politely interested in foreigners, if not a bit shy. It is advisable to take standard precautions, but the area is highly safe for all people.
Lublin Voivodeship borders three other Polish provinces: